emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Re: Post a picture you took in the last week.

Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:55 pm

E015DA60-7E8E-4A1A-B17B-C00D564829F9.jpeg

Why?
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:59 pm

kwackkillncrew wrote:with all that smoke smell around you can probably roll into the stand smelling like a dirty hooker and the deer still wont smell ya!

I've thought about that.....what if doing the opposite of what everyone else does, i.e. being a loud, smelly, and very obvious presence at your deer hunting spot is the way to go? Acclimate deer to where they're so used to you they become unafraid and no longer give a shit about you being there so when hunting season rolls around? You're nothing to them.....just the same dude who has been there 4-5 days every week for the last month and been no harm to them. There were three deer bedded on the road right past the gate....like within 20-30 feet....when I went in last time. They definitely like the open areas and human paths....much safer for them from every other critter.

That's the other thing.....I think varmints like wolves, coyotes, foxes, cats, and bears are a lot more afraid of humans than deer are. Think about how easy it is to spot and watch deer compared to the animals that eat deer.

If natural deer predators are more afraid of humans than deer are.....than being present to where deer are acclimated to you will make them safer and might even attract them to you. There's anecdotal signs of that I'm seeing on the trail cams. All I know is that I've been there a ton doing shit and there are more deer on the trail cams....way more than last year. No, nothing for bucks but we're meat hunters anyways. I don't see any reason why there would be a significant increase in deer numbers after an insanely brutal winter but there is a lot more deer on the property compared to this time last year.

I've been chopping out a lot of the stumps....getting pretty efficient at it. The property is starting to really look nice.

Screenshot_20231002-235804_Gallery.jpg
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

kwackkillncrew
Sour Toe Connoisseur

Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:05 am

Got a blueberry bear up in the alpine today. First black bear for me. Took 3 hours to fourwheel up into the alpine. Turned off the wheelers and saw 7 bears in 2 hours and stalked within 40 yards of her. Probably square out to 5 foot or so and was loaded with fat that we will render down to cook/bake with. ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
official sour toe member number 52,814

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Fri Oct 06, 2023 6:12 am

Good looking bear. Your gun wearing a fanny pack? What’s in it?

I rendered pork lard last winter… would love to try bear oil someday

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Fri Oct 06, 2023 6:12 am

Double post

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Fri Oct 06, 2023 6:19 am

Niiiiiice! Make sure you scrape off the glycerin once you render the fat.....pretty easy to make that into nitro glycerin, and with a little sawdust and a fuse.....make yourself some dynamite.

Dynamite was easy to make back in the day when people lived on the frontier and made their own soap, and when dynamite was as useful and common a tool as a hammer is today.

Think about it.....think about how common dynamite was back then.....it was that easy to make where everyone had it. Rendering fat is a thing of the past 99.9% of the population doesn't know how to do, and it's a shame that the one of of a thousand who does know how to render fat.....

....doesn't know how to turn the glycerin from it into dynamite.
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:29 am

Nice work!

kwackkillncrew
Sour Toe Connoisseur

Re: RE: Re: Post a picture you took in the last week.

Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:31 am

Quack wrote:Good looking bear. Your gun wearing a fanny pack? What’s in it?

I rendered pork lard last winter… would love to try bear oil someday
I just keep a few extra bullets in it, chapstick and a lighter. Got tired of loose bullets in pockets. In the area where we are hunting each person can shoot 3 bears, kinda crazy.

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:39 am

Burned a lot of shit in yesterday's wind....inhaled a lot of smoke....

Screenshot_20231006-103342_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231006-103410_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231006-103824_Gallery.jpg
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

kwackkillncrew
Sour Toe Connoisseur

Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:21 am

Hunting in the alpine is the best. I loath hunting in the deep trees. Image

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”