Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Re: Duck Stamp Price Going Up

Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:04 pm

So the new money will only be used to purchase private land easements I read? None of this will be used to purchase public hunting land? Is this really correct?

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:14 pm

Wish it was going to manage the public we already got.

Team Power Dump
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:08 pm

Look at it this way: for the past 23 years they've had $15 to split between acquisitions & easements. Now they've got $10 for easements & $15 to do whatever.

Also realize the habitat where we kill them in the fall isn't the habitat they need for springtime production. They need those seasonal wetlands that dry up and those are the ones most at risk of drainage.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:47 pm

Quack wrote:Look at it this way: for the past 23 years they've had $15 to split between acquisitions & easements. Now they've got $10 for easements & $15 to do whatever.

Also realize the habitat where we kill them in the fall isn't the habitat they need for springtime production. They need those seasonal wetlands that dry up and those are the ones most at risk of drainage.

Based on the numbers and where DU sees best spend, other than ND and maybe the Coteau in SD, there shouldn't be another dime spent, at least in this area, on brood rearing specifically.

MN/IA/MI and whatever lower 48 "used to be breeding states" should protect what they have, they're not getting anything back with another $10.

The funds should go to improve South/North migration feeding so the birds arrive in great condition on the breeding grounds. The rivers and ponds are dead waters that create a severe limiting factor on spring duck reproduction... at least that's what I've gathered from the Afton studies.

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:39 pm

On scaup yes, but scaup & pintails are the only species spending much time below LTA & scaup seem to be holding close to LTA.

I had forgotten this, but 5-10 years ago delta & others raised a lot of Cain about prioritizing duck stamp money for the Dakotas. My FWS buddy said he believes FWS has been allocating 80% of revenues to easements in the Dakotas.

If you want more web footed targets, you can't do better than 98% efficiency & 80% going to permanent easements in the Dakotas.

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:06 am

Duck stamp dollars always have been, and likely always will be the best bang for the buck...regarding conservation funds.

My only beef are NWR's. EVERYONE that accesses one should be required to buy a stamp. And, they should ALL offer public waterfowl hunting, and rotation of hunting/sanctuary areas.
Dominate The Skies.

get-n-birdy
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:22 am

Bullet21XD wrote:Duck stamp dollars always have been, and likely always will be the best bang for the buck...regarding conservation funds.

My only beef are NWR's. EVERYONE that accesses one should be required to buy a stamp. And, they should ALL offer public waterfowl hunting, and rotation of hunting/sanctuary areas.

I think we should pay birders that access nwr's, they are an invaluable resource to conservation efforts. Kinda like a leechy relative or in law. They talk a good game but get the yipp's when the rusty old squeaky hinges on the wallet get compromised or approached.

Hunting is much funner when birds get moldy and way past stale running the same routine for decades on end. Find closest refuge, feed in non hunting areas, loaf in non hunting areas and return to roost on huntable areas well after legal. Open up a puckered up butt cheeked refuge system and let kids and mentors hunt them at the bare minimum.
DENNIS ANDERSON, Then, about five years ago, in 2020, there were no more ducks in the state,

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:28 am

They want to do something with Birders broaden Pitman-Robinson for christ's sake. The birders have no problem dropping $100 for an app of bird calls and i.d. software. PR only affects items used in the direct taking (firearms, pistols, archery, shells, etc.). Expand it to binoculars, calls, and every damned thing that has a dumb ass duck dynasty logo on it.

The system is in place for the birders to contribute passively. They likely make up 99% of Nature Conservancy and Audobon is not a light organization, so they have some pull, but even Cousin Eddie gave Clark half a beer.

mulefarm
Coot Commander

Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:31 am

Which half of the beer?

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”