get-n-birdy
Mergie Marauder

Re: What kind of truck do you drive?

Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:40 am

Bill Gilbertson wrote:
get-n-birdy wrote:95 GMC Suburban 6.5l dsl with 355,000 miles. Rarely driven without a trailer behind it or in 4 wheel drive.

Would you buy another diesel? With the big premium up front and the price of fuel, I wonder if it makes sense.

I tow trailers often for work. With a 7000# trailer, I don't have a lack of power. I did bend my rear axles though.

I've been looking for another diesel. I don't buy new, so the up front cost on used diesels aren't terribly high. There's a lot of guys that buy a diesel new, then barely use it. The fuel cost does suck. If you take care of them they will last longer and stay stronger than a gas truck imo. But if you don't like the smell, noise or starting issues when it's cold, stick with gas. A lot of guys hate diesels and I understand that. They are far from perfect.
DENNIS ANDERSON, Then, about five years ago, in 2020, there were no more ducks in the state,

Bill Gilbertson
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:01 am

get-n-birdy wrote:If you take care of them they will last longer and stay stronger than a gas truck imo. But if you don't like the smell, noise or starting issues when it's cold, stick with gas.

It used to be quite common to wear out an engine or at least require a valve job. I've wore out the tranny and rear end on my last 'burb. Has anyone wore out a late model engine?

Bill Gilbertson
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:05 am

dwendt wrote:Auto ride is a beautiful thing I have only been in a few cars with it but it's nice, heard it's expensive for parts though

Yes, I have replaced the pump and shocks. I think each was a $550 job. Only one of the shocks was bad, but I replaced them both. The service guy claims there was a deposit on the used shocks and wouldn't give me the old one that still worked. I gotta suspect he was lying and had a second hand parts business going on the side.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:31 am

03 Toyota Tacoma with 86K on it. It sat in an old mans garage most of it's life. Some lady t-boned me about a week ago so for the time being I am back to my other truck which is a 99 Honda Accord with 268K on it. That little car has been through the rounds. I'll buy a real man's truck when I can afford the gas for it.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:03 pm

Bill Gilbertson wrote:
get-n-birdy wrote:If you take care of them they will last longer and stay stronger than a gas truck imo. But if you don't like the smell, noise or starting issues when it's cold, stick with gas.

It used to be quite common to wear out an engine or at least require a valve job. I've wore out the tranny and rear end on my last 'burb. Has anyone wore out a late model engine?

My last truck was a 2000 F150 with the 5.4, got rid of it with 235,000 and the engine was still fine. Did need a new tranny while I had it though, which is to be expected if you use it as a truck

get-n-birdy
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:20 pm

So much of it depends on how they are driven and how often regular maintenance is done. Tranny's are tough to keep running properly. Some seem like they'll go forever, but most are one hiccup away from toasting something even with changing fluids and filters.
DENNIS ANDERSON, Then, about five years ago, in 2020, there were no more ducks in the state,

triplecurler
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:27 pm

Think I've found the reason I don't kill ducks. Anybody got a truck for sale?
Ask Al how to successfully nest wood ducks, see you next season.

dwendt
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:36 pm

triplecurler wrote:Think I've found the reason I don't kill ducks. Anybody got a truck for sale?

My 2003 is it's in pieces right now though ha

Perch_44
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:10 pm

Metro Transit passenger bus.

lost my new truck and license due to a "misunderstanding"...

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:00 am

Lincoln town car. Plenty of room in the trunk for all my gear or four dead hookers.

Sent from the bush outside your bedroom window.
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”