Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Re: What’s everyone doin?

Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:27 pm

maplelakeduckslayer wrote:You like hooking minnows through the back for crappies? That your go to?

No, small spoon type of lure....forage minnow, buckshot, etc., tipped with a minnow head. I still have bobber rigs set up with a plain old hook through the back and they catch fish but not like they used to, which I find amazing. Even as recent as 2013-14 all we used was that set-up, caught a lot of fish off it....we caught A LOT of fish.

Then over the past three to four years if you don't have a flasher and are jigging them---you're not catching shit. Maybe 1 fish to 5 with a bobber and a minnow.

As recent as 2013-14 we'd set up some portables and then when a guy got one we'd tell out, "How deep ya fishing!" Then they'd yell back their relation to the bottom and we'd adjust our bobbers and we just hammered them doing that.....buckets and buckets of crappies.

They're still there and we'll mark a shitload of fish, but damn they've gotten picky.

So the minnow with a hook through the back is a nod to simpler times and how we always used to fish, and I found it to be more aesthetically pleasing than a bright colored spoon with a minnow head hanging from it.....

....might have made it more ominous for five COVID theme though.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:31 pm

bigdog wrote:That is a very nice painting, my compliments. Reminds me of the Les Kouba style which I have always been fond. I'm not artistic and am lucky if I can paint a wall....

Much appreciated! Kouba was who I was trying to imitate so I take that as quite the compliment.
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:59 am

I am guessing I caught less than a dozen crappies on live bait this winter and I caught hundreds of crappies. I didn’t have a bobber down a lot of times mainly because it just isn’t that effective anymore. The days they will hit bobbers are the days you can be me much more effective fishing fast with a more aggressive presentation on one rod. I fish with plastics, hair jigs or tiny tungsten jigging spoons with no live bait.

Really wish I could take my nephew on a good bobber bite but that is becoming tougher and tougher to find. When I want to put him on action with easy fishing I take him burbot fishing.

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:00 pm

Back to full time next week and they aren’t gonna let me work any over time to make up for the unpaid time off I had to take last week and this week. To say I’m perturbed is and understatement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:12 am

Mr Lee and I made our annual trip to Louisiana. Had great weather, bugs weren't bad, and fishing was excellent!

Now, back to work...business as usual for me.

Dominate The Skies.

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:25 am

Nice pics and well done! Looks like the fishing was pretty damn good....are those redfish? What type is the big one?
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:58 am

The big one is a black drum. It was 30lbs. The rest are speckled trout...which is what we were targeting. One of the better eating fish in the ocean. We did catch redfish as well, though not many...didn't really try for them much. We mainly intended to fill the truck up with dead trout!
Dominate The Skies.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:16 am

Nice work bullet! Must have had a big cooler on board to keep all those in the triton.

Do trout keep well in the freezer? I love eating salt water fish but it seems like a lot of them need to be ate within a few months or they really go down hill.

My buddy and I were just talking about booking a trip to go fish the salt next year. Florida, Louisiana, Bahamas and Cabos were all up for discussion and I think we’ll end up doing Cabos. I’m open to suggestions. More interested in catching big fish than numbers.

Stute Slap
Mergie Marauder

Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:19 am

[quote="Bullet21XD"]Mr Lee and I made our annual trip to Louisiana. Had great weather, bugs weren't bad, and fishing was excellent!

Now, back to work...business as usual for me.

"For future generations to enjoy"

I like to think there is a farmer some where in Missouri right now wondering how the F a pile of trout ended up his road ditch.

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:24 am

I'm not saying I know very much about saltwater Nershi, but if I had to pick a spot out of the ones you just mentioned to fish....the last one I'd pick would be Cabo.

I assume you're intending on doing guide and/or charters?

I'd want to do it on my own....bring the boat down....maybe hire a guide the first day just so I don't do stupid shit the entire time....or at least it's less likely.

Even still Cabo isn't about numbers, it's about trophy fish.

Saltwater fish are so big and fight so that honestly? I have zero desire to be stapped into a chair and fight a marlin for four hours.....sounds fukcing awful.

My brothers that have lived in Florida take your standard MN walleye boat out and the gulf stream cuts so close to FL, basically touching Miami, that you don't have to go out very far to catch fish. They'd go out and catch everything from Spanish mackerel to Mahi and had a blast.

I personally think charters suck, but to each their own.
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”