Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Re: What’s everyone doin?

Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:11 am

Felon, ideally we’d pay someone to take us out on the first day then rent a boat and do it on our own the rest of the trip. Only problem with that is we’d need to make a pretty big investment to get the proper rods reels tackle etc to handle the fish. I have some stuff we could use as does my buddy but buying the additional quality gear we’d want could eat up the savings on guide cost pretty quick. I’m not super excited about using my high end reels in salt either. Preferably we’d find somewhere that will rent the gear we’ll need. I’ve heard most times you rent rods and reels they are garbage. I’ve never done it.

So I guess we need to analyze the cost and logistics a bit more to figure out what makes sense but if we can do it on our own Florida seems like it would be a good choice. I hate vacationing in Florida but if it’s just a fishing trip it’s fine by me.

I prefer to do all hunting and fishing on my own as well. Only charters I’ve paid for was Alaska halibut and cod fishing and that wasn’t something we could do on our own, with as much success as we had, for several reasons.

Thanks for the feedback.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:13 am

Stute Slap wrote:

I like to think there is a farmer some where in Missouri right now wondering how the F a pile of trout ended up his road ditch.

:lol:

Good point. My question about preserving meat for a guy like bullet is probably irrelevant.

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:05 pm

You are correct...saltwater fish generally do not keep as long in the freezer. Proper handling and packaging makes a big difference...I wouldn't freeze them in a ziplock full of water. I bring my vacuum packer down with me.

Regarding a saltwater trip...you can find great offshore fishing for pelagics really anywhere in the summer. IMO, it's not really a DIY trip as the equipment is so expensive and serves no purpose here at home. I, like you, would get some guys and do a charter. All the places mentioned...all will probably be similar in cost.

We fish FL and LA, as we can just use our boats. Plenty of inshore species to stay busy. It's not too hard to find action. And, it ain't ice fishing!
Dominate The Skies.

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:14 pm

Stute Slap wrote:

I like to think there is a farmer some where in Missouri right now wondering how the F a pile of trout ended up his road ditch.

No way! These ain't ducks!!

This is like the only time every year I actually keep any fish. We came home with 3 100-150qt coolers packed!
Dominate The Skies.

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:22 pm

Nershi...if you ever get the chance to fish offshore...do it, you won't regret it! I've done a fair amount of it in Ca and Mexico.

La has a great offshore fishery grom now thru late fall. It's the closest option, and probably more suited to your style. Cabo, and places that specialize in big game fishing, really focus on the trolling, which is boring in my opinion. And, you'll likely be strapped in a chair. I prefer stand up fishing, fishing live bait or casting lures. Plus...nothing will kick you in the dick more than a 150+ yellowfin on stand up tackle.

As far as what we do...it's a very easy DIY trip. If you want big fish, you can go to Venice and mess with 15-35lb redfish 'til you're sick of it. They aren't hard to find, and are pretty easy to catch. Where we go, we get mostly smaller reds, with the biggest being in the 15lb class. Last year was an exception, the Hopedale/Delecroix area had a lot of fresh, dirty water. The trout bite was a little off, but we had all the 20-30lb redfish we could handle. They're pretty sporty on MH bass rods!
Dominate The Skies.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:21 pm

Sharpening all blades I have, rounding up all ammo I have laying all over, getting first aid and survival kits in order and getting my shtf bags updated and ready.
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

recker7676
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: What’s everyone doin?

Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:47 am

Bullet21XD wrote:Mr Lee and I made our annual trip to Louisiana. Had great weather, bugs weren't bad, and fishing was excellent!

Now, back to work...business as usual for me.

[img]https://i.ibb.co/Kx3t8MJ/Pics-Art-04-02-01-09-02.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.ibb.co/RQcBRkf/Pics-Art-04-02-01-09-55.jpg[/img]
Sweet. Whats mr lee up too other thsn your trip.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:48 pm

Paint's still wet when I took the pic but you'll get the idea. Did this one last night....

Screenshot_20200407-124705_Gallery.jpg
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:52 pm

Still fukcing with it....

20200407_225027.jpg
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Quack