h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Re: The Big Push!

Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:22 pm

The main snow band had shifted at least 50 miles east of what the map showed last night. Duluth has 9.5" earlier in the day. they may break their most snow in oct if it kept snowing. BTW, to their east there was 65+ gale winds from just east of Superior to Ashland.

I've had about 3", most of it melted. The Woodies that were on the local ponds a couple of days ago are now gone (as expected).

The average high is 53 right now and 45 two weeks from now for the Metro, and I do not see 1 single 50+ temp day predicted for the next 2 weeks, mostly 30/40s. If that forecast holds true, we will be froze up before the season ends. :(
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: The Big Push!

Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:26 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:The main snow band had shifted at least 50 miles east of what the map showed last night. Duluth has 9.5" earlier in the day. they may break their most snow in oct if it kept snowing. BTW, to their east there was 65+ gale winds from just east of Superior to Ashland.

I've had about 3", most of it melted. The Woodies that were on the local ponds a couple of days ago are now gone (as expected).

The average high is 53 right now and 45 two weeks from now for the Metro, and I do not see 1 single 50+ temp day predicted for the next 2 weeks, mostly 30/40s. If that forecast holds true, we will be froze up before the season ends. :(
Been froze up over here before the end the last 3-4 years. 2 of them we lost 30 days....yay split season with its dumb as chit 14 day closure. I hope all of minnesota freezes solid in the next two days so all you metro and se mn hunters whine and cry to the dnr so maybe the dnr will pull their heads out of your asses. After all that seems to be the only group that seems to matter to the dnr.

Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:29 am

gimpfinger wrote:
h2ofwlr wrote:. :(
Been froze up over here before the end the last 3-4 years. 2 of them we lost 30 days....yay split season with its dumb as chit 14 day closure. I hope all of minnesota freezes solid in the next two days so all you metro and se mn hunters whine and cry to the dnr so maybe the dnr will pull their heads out of your asses. After all that seems to be the only group that seems to matter to the dnr.

:o :shock: :shock: :roll: Why yes, we are privileged and should be treated as so.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

randywatson
Mergie Marauder

Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:41 am

Devils lake report:
Friday: seeing a few migrating flocks of mallards, and geese. id say a trickle at best. small sloughs froze thursday night into friday. Medium sloughs froze friday night into this morning. Large migration of hunters as well. iMO birds arent here yet. probly by mid week next week.
Women with whiskers.....that's a bummer

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:32 am

randywatson wrote:Devils lake report:
Friday: seeing a few migrating flocks of mallards, and geese. id say a trickle at best. small sloughs froze thursday night into friday. Medium sloughs froze friday night into this morning. Large migration of hunters as well. iMO birds arent here yet. probly by mid week next week.
You mean mallards when you say "birds"...right?

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:54 am

Just got back from Canada. Mallard numbers seemed down from the last couple years. Had to put on more miles to get on good shoots. Put on 1700 miles scouting in six days. We talked to some farmers that hunt that said the big numbers of mallards hadn't showed up yet. Snow numbers were pretty good but we only spent one day targeting them.

Some birds moved out Thursday night but there were still good numbers of mallards, pinnners, bluebill, Greenwings, shovelers, gaddies and white and dark geese when we left yesterday.

Looks like things should get rolling around the start of November if the weather forecast holds.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:03 pm

Didn't hear much shooting this morning, surprised to only see 4 vehicles at pelican when I headed out bowhunting. 4 buddies limited on geese at our usual spot , he didn't say if they shot any ducks or not

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:38 pm

gimpfinger wrote: Been froze up over here before the end the last 3-4 years. 2 of them we lost 30 days....yay split season with its dumb as chit 14 day closure. I hope all of minnesota freezes solid in the next two days so all you metro and se mn hunters whine and cry to the dnr so maybe the dnr will pull their heads out of your asses. After all that seems to be the only group that seems to matter to the dnr.

I agree that the 3 zone split needs to go (have been publicly saying it for several years now) and have been advocating to go to a 2 zone with a 4 day close for southern 1/2 of MN (like central zone is now). if I recall correctly the states can only switch the splits/seasons every 5 yrs. I'm trying to remember if this is year 4 or year 5 of the Mn framework. if year 5 - the DNR can change it for 2018

And yes there is a vocal group that want to be able to hunt mallards in Dec in SE MN.

I have advocated for a late Mallard season like they have for the Central flyway. basically a 10 day to 2 week 4 Mallards Only season for the metro and SE MN. But the northern MS flyway member states are very resistant to that idea namely because then the Southern states will want something in return. So don't hold your breathe of this happening...
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:13 pm

Watched wood ducks land in our pond from the deer stand, 2 seperate groups

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:06 am

Took me a few seconds to remember what that sound coming towards me was coming from. Southern mn.Image
1029170946.jpg
1029170945d.jpg

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”