Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Pheasant opener: Hunters might....

Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:06 am

Pheasant opener: Hunters might find more ringnecks than expected

By DOUG SMITH, STAR TRIBUNE
October 07, 2014 - 8:49 PM

Hunters might find more pheasants this season than expected based on sightings.

Some wildlife managers are cautiously optimistic Minnesota’s pheasant hunters will encounter more ringnecks than had been expected when the season opens Saturday.

“I think they will find more birds than last year,’’ said Dave Trauba, Department of Natural Resources area wildlife manager at Lac qui Parle in western Minnesota. “I’m not saying it will be like 10 years ago when we had a lot of birds. We’re not there yet. But I think hunters should see more birds.’’

Trauba bases that hunch not only on the DNR’s August roadside survey, which showed a 6 percent increase in the pheasant index, but on the observations of his crews in the field.

“They are seeing birds,’’ he said.

Bill Schuna, DNR wildlife manager in Slayton in southwestern Minnesota, also is optimistic.

“My gut feeling is there are more birds than last year,’’ he said. “I think we’ll be pleasantly surprised.’’ His area includes Worthington, site of the Governor’s Pheasant Opener.

Schuna saw a variety of age-classes of pheasants last weekend, including some late-hatched birds that hunters might have difficulty identifying as roosters, he said.

Though the 2013 harvest was the lowest in 27 years, some hunters reported better than anticipated success, thanks perhaps to a late pheasant hatch. And wildlife managers think a late hatch could help again this fall.

“I think they’ll find birds,’’ said Randy Markl, DNR area wildlife manager in Windom, who believes the pheasant population in his area likely is similar to 2013. “Last year was better than a lot of people thought it would be,’’ he said.

Meanwhile, plenty of standing corn will greet hunters, likely providing a refuge for roosters. Only 5 percent of corn and 23 percent of soybeans were harvested as of Monday.

Will hunters return?

The big question for wildlife officials and the tourism industry is how many pheasant hunters will show up. Last year, the DNR estimated only 62,000 people hunted pheasants, down 15,000 from 2012 and the fewest in 27 years. And the agency sold only 74,668 pheasant stamps — the lowest since the stamp program began in 1983.

Governor’s opener

About 100 hunters will travel to Worthington on Saturday for the Governor’s Pheasant Opener. All will hunt on private land, to keep public lands available in the area for other hunters.

Doug Smith •
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Re: Pheasant opener: Hunters might....

Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:33 pm

Fish Felon wrote:Pheasant opener: Hunters might find more ringnecks than expected

No...no they won't
:lol:
Dominate The Skies.

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:36 pm

Nothing like a media campaign to sell licenses. The drop in hunters last year must have hit them hard.

But they have a 'gut feeling' there's more birds. This is comforting to hear coming from a department full of biologists who practice and follow hard science...
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:52 pm

Maybe they're taking lessons from the USFWS.
Dominate The Skies.

NitroZ9 Duck Killin
No longer welcome here.

Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:02 pm

No they will not.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:07 pm

Bullet21XD wrote:Maybe they're taking lessons from the USFWS.

That part where populations are 50% over long term averages..... looks like MN will have as good of pheasant hunting as it does duck hunting!

WALKER
Mergie Marauder

Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:36 am

Fish Felon wrote:Nothing like a media campaign to sell licenses. The drop in hunters last year must have hit them hard.

But they have a 'gut feeling' there's more birds. This is comforting to hear coming from a department full of biologists who practice and follow hard science...

Well said

Now get out there & buy your pheasant stamp-there going fast folks :D

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:16 am

I didn't pheasant hunt last year but I have buddies who live in the Metro who got out quite a bit. They had pretty good success getting at least a bird every day and getting their limit a few days. All public land. I am guessing the lack of hunters was the main contributor to their success.

I haven't pheasant hunted in a couple years but I plan to do a little in ND this year.

Labguy23
Coot Commander

Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:49 pm

90+ % of corn still standing so opener won't produce more than expected regardless of pheasant population.
Conservation:Hunt with a trained retriever.

www.threeriversretrievers.com

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:46 pm

I always find more than I expect because I literally set my base line at 0.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”