would you move to texas

Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:38 pm

for work?

trigger I already know your answer

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Re: would you move to texas

Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:44 pm

If your occupation is in high demand everywhere I would say go for it...if you don't like it you can go elsewhere. If you are putting all your eggs into one basket by going there, I would pass. Nothing like moving somewhere for money, then hate it and end up having nothing to fall back on. Traps you.

hobbydog
Mergie Marauder

Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:54 pm

Texas is a big place. Where in Texas?

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:34 pm

Where, how much, how long, etc.?

I'd move to India if they paid me a fortune.

Would I move for the same pay/opportunities that I have here?

Flock no.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:49 pm

Guessing you're younger, single, no kids.

If you do it, put an end date on it, say 2 years. Save as much coin as you can.

At the end of 2 years you should have coin in the bank. Coin in the bank means you get to choose.

Make sure your coin is working for you and not sitting idle..... but as a favorite line from a classic Dickens' story says, "Portable property...." Make sure whatever you invest is salable on an open market with fairly transparent pricing. No real estate or "safe" commodities.

Depending on where in Texas, they have ducks there too.

tyler
Mergie Marauder

Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:18 pm

It'd most likely be Houston. I graduate next year and I'm leaning towards getting master's in petroleum geology(another 2 years). Those jobs will put me in either oklahoma city, denver, anchorage, or texas. Ultimately I'll go wherever I can get a job but most jobs are in texas that's why I was asking. I don't think it would be too bad. Just thinking out loud... As far as ducks, the divers down there would an upgrade.

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:33 pm

tyler wrote:for work?

trigger I already know your answer

Ha! We should give that shytehole back to Mexico.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:59 am

If you like mn you are not going to like Houston IMO. Hunting on the gulf is awesome though. I might go there this winter.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:31 am

tyler.... if it's the geolocation of the job market you're questioning, and that's the type of work you're interested in, have you looked at School of Mines? Might not be petroleum based. Based on two friends that graduated from there the degrees seem flexible. One is at St. Jude medical, the other is doing carbon fibre drive shafts for race cars.

Not trying to change your plans, just curious about how you can use your interests to give you more flexibility than what it sounds like the petroleum might offer.

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:52 am

I heard it once said, "There are only three kinds of people; those that live in Texas, those that don't, and those that wish they did."

It sounds like an opportunity for you to develop your growing career...most petroleum jobs seem to be in Texas or Oklahoma. For a short term need, it may not be such a bad idea to get the skills and experience you want.

Personally, after living there (San Angelo) several months, I found the only good things that come out of Texas is Hwy 35 North or Hwy 10 East or West. I'm sure that there are better areas though.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”