lanyard
Mergie Marauder

A Sky Bust too far?

Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:36 pm

Okay, I've been known to misjudge the distant on a bird, particularly when layout hunting and the view on horizon makes things a bit odd....

But if I bust one out of range they usually flare.

A fellow hunter I observed Saturday busted at a couple. The first crack, I was surprised, but gave him the benefit of the doubt.

But the second pair that came by, following the same flight path, confused me. I'm all about the "golden BB", have used enough of them myself.... but when the ducks don't even FLARE at the shot, I begin to wonder....

Is a bust, a bust.... or are there different levels? Was that guy a 'bust pro or novice? It was slow, so a lot of time to think about this.... but it came to a point of zen buddha BS like, "what is the sound of one hand clapping..."

Figured I'd give up and see what you experts think.....

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Re: A Sky Bust too far?

Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:09 pm

That is a pretty common occurrence in Aitkin county which is one of the many reasons I don't hunt there too often anymore. I have seen guys dump their guns at ducks and geese 100+ yards, reload and dump their guns again on the same flock. Ammo manufacturers must love those knuckle heads.

A few openers ago I hunted a new area and the skybusting was off the charts. I talked to an old timer at the landing who was just coming in by himself and he said he got 2 ducks but lost 11 ducks and 2 geese. We shot a lot of birds there but I have no desire to go back.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:02 pm

Reminds me of our old days on pelican...so glad I haven't hunted there for about 14 years

NitroZ9 Duck Killin
No longer welcome here.

Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:03 pm

How do you lose 11 ducks?

What a Jackass.

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:36 pm

I've given up on sky busting on anything but crows....I love to harass them. Been there and done that. I'm guilty of sky busting in the past. If it is one thing I can't stand it is crippling a bird and not being able to immediately retrieve it.

IMO, those that feel the need to sky bust really should be using only Hevi-Shot for those "Hail Mary" "Praise Allah" shots. Typical steel shot loads don't have the reach or the energy to effective kill at extended ranges.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:45 pm

NitroZ9 Duck Killin wrote:How do you lose 11 ducks?

What a Jackass.

Finally something we both agree on. :lol:
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:51 pm

NitroZ9 Duck Killin wrote:How do you lose 11 ducks?

What a Jackass.

To bad mr green jeans wasn't watching.

your mom...
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

WALKER
Mergie Marauder

Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:31 am

lanyard wrote:
Figured I'd give up and see what you experts think.....

All I can say is you think for even one minute that we're experts I'd call a psychiatrist immediately :lol: You got way bigger problems than ya realize.

As for sky bustin I'm all for it as long as I'm the one doing the deed & not the other guys
on the lake. :D

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”