lumbertick
Mergie Marauder

Re: Am I missing something on the use of natives names?

Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:49 pm

What you're all missing is the continued inability of the people of this country to recognize that what is portrayed as the "defeat" of the indigenous people of this country was genocide. Schools and the media have underplayed this part of history for generations...and continue to this day. No one has ever heard of the great victory Hitler had over the Jews...or named a sports team the Kikes in their "honor". It's about respect for their culture...if they say it's offensive...it is...end of argument.

lt

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:42 pm

I see your point to a certain extent.

What's the distinction between genocide and a conquered people continuing to fight when they can't win?

I would say there's some pretty big differences between what happened to the Native Americans here and Jews in Nazi Germany.

I agree that the redskins is a racist nickname and should [will] be changed.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Stute Slap
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:03 pm

Fish Felon wrote:I see your point to a certain extent.

What's the distinction between genocide and a conquered people continuing to fight when they can't win?

I would say there's some pretty big differences between what happened to the Native Americans here and Jews in Nazi Germany.

I agree that the redskins is a racist nickname and should [will] be changed.

One of the biggest differences is that Native Americans don't own/control Hollywood and NYC.

That's the reason we haven't seen the movie "Chief Joseph's List" in theaters.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:27 pm

Regardless of definition assigned to the destruction and defeat of their culture, it seems odd to me that for 600 years Native Americans have been discarded as unworthy, but now some rich white guy will spend millions to protect his perceived right to own their image....

Stute Slap
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:51 pm

I guess winter is here - I just saw two indians carrying a window AC unit into a pawn shop.

get-n-birdy
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:00 pm

lumbertick wrote:What you're all missing is the continued inability of the people of this country to recognize that what is portrayed as the "defeat" of the indigenous people of this country was genocide. Schools and the media have underplayed this part of history for generations...and continue to this day. No one has ever heard of the great victory Hitler had over the Jews...or named a sports team the Kikes in their "honor". It's about respect for their culture...if they say it's offensive...it is...end of argument.

lt

But how long does the country have to pay?

I get honoring treaties.

I get the genocide. Hitler would not have let the Jews live, signed treaties with them and paid them after beating them into submission. That to me is a gigantic difference. The country's made mistakes and that no one will deny. But the country has been trying to repay the wrongs, and what is the right dollar amount to pay the balance?

I get the respect, but respect is earned not given.Tough pill to swallow but so is being a boy named sue. What is easily acquired, is lightly esteemed. If your are given everything, nothing is going to hold any value to you because it is not yours.

I get that there's been a lot of interesting cultures. But a lot of that is romanticized, much like my Scandinavian Viking ancestors. I'd like to think they were a proud, moral breed, but we all know that is as far from the truth as can be, hence the term Viking and it's tie to raping and pillaging. Should I be offended at that reputation and name? Was it me who raped and pillaged? Should I be responsible for my ancestors actions? Native Americans did a lot of not so grand things, for a lot of not so grand reasons. Am I racist for saying so? If someone chooses to wear a Vikings jersey, that possibly offends me, is that racist? I think the Vikings name and horns are redonkulous and offensive to the proud heritage of Vikings and my ancestors, does that count as some sort of discrimination? Vikings never wore horns, that is offensive to me and is a non factual, fictional representation of my ancestors. If not, why not, because I am offended by it. And isn't that the picture we are painting here, that if something offends someone, it is justified, no questions asked? I will hunt with my wolf tag and shed no tear for a Native Americans beliefs about wolves. Just like I would not expect anyone to adhere to my religious beliefs. It is a persons rights to have beliefs, to honor the wolf but it is not mine or a lot of other peoples. As far as I'm concerned the freedom of religion gives no one the right to tell me that I should or shouldn't do something because it is in another persons religious beliefs, that in my mind is pure bs. I get it is a religion, and anyone is welcome to believe the sky is pink if a person so chooses, but don't tell me I have to believe or be controlled by another's beliefs.

The race card has, and is going to come full circle. We are all equal, or we aren't. Having "special" rights because of a ethnetisity, race, creed, religion or sexual preference is the definition of racism, sexism, or whatever 'ism you want to call it. I honestly don't care what a person does or doesn't do, believes or doesn't, unless it is harming others.

Native Americans are just like everyone else, each one is an individual. Some are good, hard working people and some aren't. But no matter how much people try and keep writing checks, there's no dollar amount that will pay for the sins of the past. It was all our forefathers of the USA that did do some very bad things, I do not deny that. But did you or I do it? As a country "we" seem to not understand that no matter how much "we" honor the treaties or the amount of money "we" give the Native American people, they are a down trodden people with many problems. I feel for that part of the equation and the enabling that will continue, is doing more harm than good. No amount of monetary currency will cure what currently ails a people being suckled by a poisonous tit, attached to the very body of people "they" despise. If it was me, I'd detach myself from that tit and go back to a more organic lifestyle. But that is the rub with enabling, it leads to dependency, insecurities and a pure lack of self esteem, that leads to no drive to stand on ones own to feet. That to me is the saddest part.
DENNIS ANDERSON, Then, about five years ago, in 2020, there were no more ducks in the state,

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:39 pm

You make me want to protest the next Vikings game to make thm change the name just to be a smart@ss.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

WALKER
Mergie Marauder

Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:55 am

get-n-birdy wrote: and anyone is welcome to believe the sky is pink if a person so chooses, but don't tell me I have to believe or be controlled by another's beliefs.

I've been on a pretty good prescription lately & can tell you that not only is the sky pink but I
can see the purple rain :D

In all seriousness your post is very well written & does a great job of summarizing this issue.

Kudos to you birdy-great post

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:18 am

Very well put Birdy. I was thinking the same thing about the Vikings. Maybe the factory workers should protest the Packers name or the Spanish Americans should protest the Buccaneers.

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:17 pm

Maybe we should just finish what we started 175 years ago.
Dominate The Skies.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”