h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Am I missing something on the use of natives names?

Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:55 pm

OK, so as some know there were protests at the Vikes/Redskins game, and most know that there has been some controversy of the Washington DC team name this year.

Here is the 30 second clip of the ad that the Natives aired right before the game on Sunday. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlk6PUgA ... e=youtu.be

So they said the word Sioux to describe a tribe in the commercial. Now I thought that was a major putdown as it was a derogatory slang meaning “snake” and why the ND Fighting Sioux had to drop the team name. But yet the natives in their own commercial said the word "Sioux" to describe a tribe.

So what am I missing?
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Re: Am I missing something on the use of natives names?

Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:34 pm

????

You're applying logic to a generally liberal conception: ownership and election of socially derived terminologies developed by an oppressor.

It is often an oppressed groups first act of independence is to take ownership of the oppressors name. 1) it creates commonality and recognition of their shared experience of being oppressed; 2) it takes ownership away from the oppressor by devaluing the negative connotation.

So what are you missing? I don't know, a few decades of African Americans calling each other the "N" word?

The Libertarian view on this would by why anyone cares.

The Conservative view on this is that freedom of speech applies to caucasians, whether you like it or not.

The Economists view is if it meant enough, the American Indians could just buy the team.

The Free Market view if anyone cared they would boycott the team by buying all the tickets, or the American Indians could buy all the tickets, or all the advertising during their games, and state their case.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:16 pm

http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/2014/10/jeff_johnson_only_hennepin_commissioner_to_oppose_anti-redskins_resolution.php

Apparently there is one sane person on the Hennepin County Board. I love his use of common sense

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:51 am

h2ofwlr wrote:So they said the word Sioux to describe a tribe in the commercial. Now I thought that was a major putdown as it was a derogatory slang meaning “snake” and why the ND Fighting Sioux had to drop the team name. But yet the natives in their own commercial said the word "Sioux" to describe a tribe.

So what am I missing?

Sioux meaning snake had nothing to do with ND dropping the nickname.

It was about getting rid of Native American as mascots per the NCAA and politics in the state's two Sioux tribes/reservations. Spirit Lake voted overwhelmingly to let the school use the name. Standing Rock would have voted the same but their chief made sure the tribe never got a vote.

Had they voted then the school would have kept the name; just like FSU got to keep the seminoles.

The vast majority of Sioux in ND are supportive of the name and upset at the change.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:16 am

Sioux's a girls name.

shnelson
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:26 am

Nershi wrote:Sioux's a girls name.

Not always...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOHPuY88Ry4[/youtube]

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:42 am

Good one! ^^^^

So Lanyard, what you are basically saying is it is like the N word, we can not use it, but they can. Same for the Natives, eh? Hmmmm... Hypocripsy at its best.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:02 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:Good one! ^^^^

So Lanyard, what you are basically saying is it is like the N word, we can not use it, but they can. Same for the Natives, eh? Hmmmm... Hypocripsy at its best.

You can use it. You can use any word you want.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

HnkrCrash
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:21 pm

I say let the natives vote on it. If the results show they truly are not in favor as a whole, change it.

My suggestions for a new name: Washington Honkeys, Washington Crackers, or Washington White Trash. The logo could be a skinny white dude in a wife beater and meth pipe in his mouth who has a tribal tatoo and a barb wire tatoo on his biceps stretched out over an old IROC Z up on blocks.

That way no other "races" would have to be offended and zero Fs would be given by the white bigots. Everybody wins!

The only issue that might arise would be identifying players on the field as everyone would be number 69...it's a white person's favorite number afterall.
"The less I know about other people's affairs, the happier I am. I'm not interested in caring about people."
- Ron Swanson

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:30 am

^^^^ I like it. But since DC's population is >50% black as of the 2010 Census a new concern will arise~ the new logo/name is not representative of the true culture and further enforces White Privilege.

Fouler~ The whole "they can say it, we can't, hypocrisy!" argument is the White Boomer reaction to some perceived slight since no one asked your opinion about changes in societal norms. What the protesters don't get is that use of the logos/etc. isn't to keep them down, but to keep some odd logic alive that matters less and less to anyone. It is a sinking ship a la Donald Sterling that a shrinking conclave have used to keep their own identities alive. It's a good ol' days deal like, "back when we had 500,000 bluebills flying across our point and we could laugh about the negro bus boy at the diner...."

The inability of BOTH sides to let go of the past keeps both sides in the past, not moving forward, arguing over invisible lines that have no relation to current or future activities and neither recognizing the lost economy of entrenchment.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”