ducksmuggler
Mergie Marauder

Re: Pike Spearing Returns To Mille Lacs

Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:41 am

Trigger wrote:Size restrictions for spearers makes spearers whine and complain and get regulations that are helping to produce larger pike get lifted. I don't get why it's so hard for a spearer to say "yeah that fish is probably over 30" (or whatever the limit is), I better not stick this one". It makes no sense to me.

that's about right and very easy but when they put a min-max on a size you can or can not take is when it becomes an issue... I have been darkhouse spearing for 25 years and have let more fish go than I have stuck....
You can bad mouth a mans gun, his shooting, and his women but bad mouth his dog them's fighting words.

get-n-birdy
Mergie Marauder

Re: Pike Spearing Returns To Mille Lacs

Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:56 am

ducksmuggler wrote:
Trigger wrote:Size restrictions for spearers makes spearers whine and complain and get regulations that are helping to produce larger pike get lifted. I don't get why it's so hard for a spearer to say "yeah that fish is probably over 30" (or whatever the limit is), I better not stick this one". It makes no sense to me.

that's about right and very easy but when they put a min-max on a size you can or can not take is when it becomes an issue... I have been darkhouse spearing for 25 years and have let more fish go than I have stuck....

Yep. Some of my relatives do it and are good at it. But they harvest way less than the hook and line guys. They stick a few here and there but love the chase more than the chucking of the spear. Funny thing is they seem to like to spear the smaller ones, with an odd ball bigger one mixed in. They have done it long enough, they have a pretty good ball park idea of what size pike they are spearing long before the spear hits the fish.

Know a hard core catch and release trophy hunter who fishes for big pike. He now keeps what they call a baker for the grill. They all come home with one big, fat 37"+ pike, cut the head off, cut the tail off and grill that bad boy up. First time he told me about it I actually laughed at him cause I thought he was kidding. But the way they do it, those things taste amazing. Not my cup of tea but for them it works and these guys use to chastise anyone for keeping any pike.
DENNIS ANDERSON, Then, about five years ago, in 2020, there were no more ducks in the state,

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”