deet
Mergie Marauder

MSHSL Transgender Athletes Policy

Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:08 am

Am I misunderstanding something with this bill? Boys will now be allowed to play girls' teams if they so choose?

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Re: MSHSL Transgender Athletes Policy

Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:20 am

I think as long as they have a note from their parents and/or a counselor.... what stood out to me is they DO NOT need to provide proof of any hormone therapy or other conversion activities.

deet
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:57 pm

lanyard wrote:I think as long as they have a note from their parents and/or a counselor.... what stood out to me is they DO NOT need to provide proof of any hormone therapy or other conversion activities.
I read that they also need a letter from a medical professional.

STILL, what's the point of even having separate sports for girls and boys anymore?

I assume the original intent of having boys and girls participate in athletics separately was to keep things biologically/anatomically fair.

Goldfish
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:13 pm

Seems pretty simple to me. Have boys sports, girls sports, and coed sports. If there aren't enough participants, then you don't get to play that section

deet
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:25 pm

Goldfish wrote:Seems pretty simple to me. Have boys sports, girls sports, and coed sports. If there aren't enough participants, then you don't get to play that section

It already is exactly that simple. Trouble is, there are ever-evolving definitions of 'boy' and 'girl'.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:25 pm

What doesn't make sense is the "locker room discrimination claim". Fine, you're a girl now, but I don't think it's out of line/discriminatory for the rest of the team to think it's a bit odd and be uncomfortable, particularly in high school.

It would be one thing if everyone was already 17/18. But often times your talking about kids that are still dealing with their own adolescent drama/trauma and locker rooms suck anyway.... now you toss in another variable of awkwardness?

Don't be surprised, if the policy is accessed, to see participation drop. It won't even be direct bullying of the transgendered, it will be the slight comments to the JV, or a hazing threat, or something that creates a new dynamic of the locker room power structure.

Unless of course the kid is THAT good! Then the parents, particularly the hockey parents, will be busting ass to get their kid on that line, offering rides, and buying Cokes after the game :-)

Goldfish
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:29 pm

deet wrote:
Goldfish wrote:Seems pretty simple to me. Have boys sports, girls sports, and coed sports. If there aren't enough participants, then you don't get to play that section

It already is exactly that simple. Trouble is, there are ever-evolving definitions of 'boy' and 'girl'.

The evolving ones go in coed

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:37 pm

[YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8J9WssSj7Q[/YouTube]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8J9WssSj7Q

Video player doesn't seem to be working, still. Someone make Fowler and admin again? :mrgreen:

Bustin Lips
Coot Commander

Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:41 pm

Goldfish wrote:
deet wrote:

The evolving ones go in coed

Yup... May as well take funds from High School sports that actually bring in revenue for the school and spread the wealth to those sports that loose money.
Kids are like farts, the only ones you can stand are your own!

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:17 pm

Who cares? It's not like a bunch of 6'3 250 pounders are going to try playing girls hockey, it's gonna be some tiny fruitcake tht has more feminine than masculine (besides having a dick) traits who wants to participate in ribbon twirling. I would rather have him/her in the girls locker room anyways, and I doubt the girls would care.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”