Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Buffer strip bill has support, opposition

Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:34 am

Buffer strip bill has support from sports groups, opposition from farmers

A bill introduced in the Legislature would require buffer strips on most waterways, like this one in Redwood County. — Photo courtesy Minnesota Board of Water and Soil Resources.
By DOUG SMITH , STAR TRIBUNE
March 12, 2015 - 2:06 AM

An ambitious plan requiring 50-foot grass strips to protect nearly all state waters draws strong support and opposition.

Fifty-foot grass buffer strips would be required along nearly all Minnesota waters, including streams, rivers and ditches, to reduce soil erosion, improve water quality and create wildlife habitat, under a landmark bill introduced this week in the Legislature.

The bill is the brainchild of Gov. Mark Dayton, who called for a new buffer requirement after learning last fall at a Pheasant Summit that the state’s current buffer laws were sporadically enforced.

Under the bill, local soil and water conservation districts would implement the requirements, but enforcement would fall to the Department of Natural Resources (DNR).

“This is very significant,” said Tom Landwehr, DNR commissioner. “Buffers are not the silver bullet; they’re not going to fix everything. But buffers will improve water quality.” And provide aquatic and wildlife habitat.

Environmental and sportsmen’s groups hailed the bill, but the agricultural community expressed opposition.

“It’s an important step that we think Minnesota needs to take,” said Joe Duggan, a Pheasants Forever vice president. “We’re hoping a lot of the buffers can be managed for wildlife.”

But Thom Petersen, government relations director for the Minnesota Farmers Union, said his group won’t support the bill, as written. He said there are too many unanswered questions.

“Buffers are important — we support buffers — but we want to do it right,” he said. “The 50-foot, one-size-fits-all approach isn’t widely supported. For some farmers, that’s a lot of land [to take out of production.] You’re asking people to give up their land. But we’re willing to keep working on it.”

Petersen also said his group, which represents about 14,000 farm families, is concerned about the fast timeline required under the bill: The DNR must prepare maps of perennial waters — including those that flow during the majority of the growing season — by April 1, 2016, and buffers would have to be in place by Sept. 1, 2016.

The Minnesota Farm Bureau, which represents about 20,000 farm families, also opposes the bill.

The bill extends the requirement for buffers to waterways that weren’t covered in the past, said Whitney Clark, executive director of Friends of the Mississippi River. “That’s the real strength of this bill,” he said. “I think we’ll see a significant impact to [stream] bank stability and water quality. It won’t solve all our agricultural water problems. But it’s a good step.”

And a bold one, he said.

“This will have a lot of habitat benefits, not just for game species, but nongame species, including pollinators.”

Steve Morse, executive director of the Minnesota Environmental Partnership, called the bill “a major conservation advancement.”

Under the bill, the buffers would be required adjacent to all “perennial waters” that have a “bed and bank.” That would include most ditches. But landowners still could utilize that land.

“They can hay or graze it,” Landwehr said, “and it doesn’t provide public access.

“It will certainly require them to change the way they do business. But we have a buffet of programs that landowners can enroll in that will compensate them for any loss of tillable land.”

One is the federal Conservation Reserve Program continuous sign-up.

“It pays landowners on an annual basis, and will pay for some of the establishment costs [for the buffers],” Landwehr said.

Most lakeshore homesites with lawns wouldn’t be affected, Landwehr said, noting exemptions in the bill. Recreation sites, such as beaches, marinas or water accesses, or areas with roads, buildings or other structures and lands within sewered areas covered by city water discharge permit also are exempted.

Soil and Water conservation districts would be required to implement the buffer requirement, or delegate that responsibility to another local unit of government, such as a county. The bill says the DNR or Board of Water and Soil Resources must provide “sufficient funds” for the conservation districts to implement the law. But funding sources aren’t mentioned in the bill.

The DNR could fine violators and require them to take corrective action. The DNR also could withhold funding to soil and water conservation districts for failing to implement the law.

Supporters say they are cautiously optimistic the bill can find bipartisan support. Chief author in the House is Rep. Paul Torkelson, R-Hanska, who was ill Tuesday and unavailable for comment. In the Senate, Sen. John Marty, DFL-Roseville, is chief author.

“All the environmental groups and sportsmens’ groups and public really support it,” said Marty. “I think there’s a decent chance.’’

Just last week, the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency issued a report saying many of the lakes and streams in southwest Minnesota are unsafe for both people and fish to swim in. Nitrate pollution from farmland is a major problem. And of 93 streams the study examined, only three were able to fully support aquatic life, and only one was safe for aquatic recreation.

Doug Smith • doug.smith@startribune.com
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Re: Buffer strip bill has support, opposition

Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:39 am

OUTDOORS
Anderson: Battle over Dayton's water-buffer bill to tell a lot about Minnesota

By DENNIS ANDERSON , STAR TRIBUNE
March 13, 2015 - 6:08 AM

Dennis Anderson
Minnesotans wanting to know which direction their state is headed should pay attention in coming weeks as Gov. Mark Dayton squares off with farmers over clean water.

The squabble centers on whether crop producers, among many other Minnesotans, should be required to establish 50-foot perennial buffers along rivers, streams, ditches and other waters. The buffers could be hayed or grazed. The intent is to reduce the amount of phosphorous, nitrogen, silt and other runoff that flows through and out of this state, and, in many cases, poisons our drinking water.

Dayton made clear at a news conference Thursday in St. Paul he intends to hold tough to his buffer plan, which he first announced in January at the annual Department of Natural Resources stakeholder roundtable.

Calling a recent report detailing the toxicity of many southwest Minnesota waters “frightening,” Dayton said the issue of whether, finally, to require the buffering of state waters is a fight over “the future of Minnesota.”

Dayton’s plan to create about 125,000 acres of buffers statewide was included in bills introduced in the Legislature this week.

Predictably, agriculture groups, including the Minnesota Corn Growers Association, oppose the idea, suggesting, in effect, that Dayton’s “one size fits all” buffer plan is a cornball proposal better considered in the next legislative session — if ever.

The corn growers instead support current buffer laws and “their vigorous local enforcement” — a notion roundly regarded as hilarious, given that local enforcement of these matters, vigorous or otherwise, is widely lacking.

“It’s very distressing to me to see … the threat to human safety and wildlife,” Dayton said, “and yet see the unwillingness of those who oppose this to face the facts.”

Dayton didn’t say so, but the broader issue is that the nation is changing, and ultimately agriculture will have to change with it. The notion of individuals or businesses, farmers or otherwise, polluting public waters with impunity is so yesterday it finds little solace among citizens of any age or political affiliation.

People nowadays — Minnesotans perhaps more so than most — are more environmentally aware than any in history, and they believe deeply about the importance of clean air and water, healthy foods and sustainable resource management.

Sooner than later, these concerns will manifest themselves across a broad range of public policies.

That day hasn’t arrived. But it’s on the horizon.

Perhaps Dayton senses this, and hopes to catch the emerging political wave to gain passage of his buffer idea.

More likely, the governor, whose outdoors bona fides aren’t easily dismissed, simply wants to do the right thing, realizing that not only is the health of Minnesotans at stake, so is their natural heritage and therefore their identity as people who immerse themselves in, and care about, the state’s woods, waters and fields.

“I want to underscore the importance I attach to this legislation,” Dayton said, adding he would talk to farm groups to “try to understand their concerns.”

But, “Voluntary participation and inconsistent enforcement brought us to the state we’re in today in terms of water quality,” the governor said. “The time to act is now.”

Dayton’s agriculture commissioner, Dave Frederickson, said Thursday that establishment of a mile-long buffer on one side of a river, stream or ditch would consume about six acres of cropland.

In many cases cost-sharing to establish the buffers would be available and, by enrolling the buffered acres in the federal Conservation Reserve Program, farmers could receive annual payments.

Six counties already have implemented buffer programs with widespread compliance, said John Jaschke, executive director of the state Board of Water and Soil Resources.

DNR Commissioner Tom Landwehr said officials haven’t penciled out the projected net gain or loss to farmers of converting cropland to buffers.

But the cost of doing nothing is too high, Dayton said.

And, simply, wrong.

“I don’t think people should have to get paid … to do the right thing,” Dayton said. “It rubs me the wrong way that we should have to incentivize people to do what they should have done long ago.”

Passage of the buffer plan by the House might be Dayton’s biggest challenge. Rep. Paul Torkelson, R-Hanska, a farmer, is carrying the bill there. He issued a news release Thursday trotting out a timeworn trifecta of counterpoints, saying buffers should be voluntary, Dayton’s plan would require condemnation of personal property and farmers “must be properly compensated.”

Which direction is the state is headed?

Time will tell.

Dennis Anderson • danderson@startribune.com
Last edited by Fish Felon on Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:42 am

NATION

Legislators look at toughening requirements for buffer strips, key to protecting habitat

By STEVE KARNOWSKI, ASSOCIATED PRESS
March 10, 2015 - 3:56 PM

ST. PAUL, Minn. — Lawmakers began consideration Tuesday of one of Gov. Mark Dayton's top environmental initiatives, a requirement for farmers to leave larger buffer areas along drainage ditches and other waterways to improve wildlife habitat.

Rep. Denny McNamara, R-Hastings, the chairman of the environmental committee considering the bill, said it has "broad support and broad opposition as we try to get it to a point that will work."

Hunting, fishing and environmental groups support the idea. But the state's two largest agricultural groups oppose the bill in its current form due to the loss of tillable land and other impacts on farmers, such as potential heavy fines for noncompliance.

Dayton's proposal would require farmers to leave 50 feet of perennial vegetation such as grass or alfalfa between their crops and nearby drainage ditches, streams, ponds and lakes to trap fertilizers, pesticides and sediments before they reach the water. The buffers would also provide habitat for pheasants and other wildlife. The Department of Natural Resources would enforce the rules.

Minnesota's current minimums call for filter strips of 16.5 feet along public drainage ditches and 50 feet along shorelines on designated waters. Enforcement is left up to counties, and it's sporadic at best.

The committee planned to reconvene Tuesday evening. No vote was expected, but the panel planned to take testimony from state officials, farm groups, conservationists and environmentalists. Among them was DNR Commissioner Tom Landwehr, who said in an interview that while he expects the Legislature to approve some kind of buffer legislation this session, it probably will get a heavy rewrite.

"I would be surprised if it didn't come out looking different, but hopefully the core of it will stay intact," Landwehr said.

Lobbyists Thom Petersen of the Minnesota Farmers Union and Doug Busselman of the Minnesota Farm Bureau both said their groups oppose the bill in its current form. They said they'd rather work with the existing law, and that they consider the flat 50-foot setback an arbitrary one-size-fits-all approach.

But Don Arnosti of the Izaak Walton League of America and John Lenczewski of Minnesota Trout Unlimited said they consider the bill a good start. Lenczewski said most farmers probably already comply to qualify for federal farm bill programs, so the new requirements shouldn't be as scary or as subject to abuse as they might fear.

The proposal stirred divisions even within the Dayton administration. Agriculture Commissioner Dave Frederickson had objections when Dayton first outlined the proposal in January but said in an interview that he supports the bill as drafted. He said he considered the 50-foot rule a starting point, and that some exceptions will be allowed.

"I think it's a good opportunity for Minnesotans, Minnesota farmers and ranchers, to say: 'We want to do the right thing,'" Frederickson said.

Landwehr acknowledged that the proposal would require farmers to change the way they currently do business. But he said there's an "extraordinary buffet" of programs available to compensate them for the loss of tillable land, such as the federal Conservation Reserve Program. He said landowners could still cut hay or graze livestock on their buffers, and use them for turning machinery around. And they wouldn't be required to allow hunters access to the land.

A Senate environment committee is scheduled to hear testimony on the bill Thursday.
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

HnkrCrash
Mergie Marauder

Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:45 am

This law already exists. As I've said numerous time before, might as well extend them a mile wide on each side, it'll have the same effect. What the hell is the point of even wasting the time/money to come up with this great new legislation when wont be enforced like the first time around.
"The less I know about other people's affairs, the happier I am. I'm not interested in caring about people."
- Ron Swanson

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:47 am

Lots of buffer strip stuff.

Hopefully it passes and they put some teeth into enforcing it.

The cynic in me thinks that's a long shot but you never know....
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:52 am

HnkrCrash wrote:This law already exists. As I've said numerous time before, might as well extend them a mile wide on each side, it'll have the same effect. What the hell is the point of even wasting the time/money to come up with this great new legislation when wont be enforced like the first time around.

Agreed. Without developing unilateral enforcement at the state level, versus the piecemeal enforcement across various county and multiple other jurisdictions that is currently failing to enforce the current law, there's no point in passing the new law.
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

HnkrCrash
Mergie Marauder

Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:00 am

But the state's two largest agricultural groups oppose the bill in its current form...such as potential heavy fines for noncompliance.

My favorite part. No shit there would be heavy fines for enforcement, that's how you enforce shit. Basically they are telling the public to get F'd cause they wouldnt be following this law any more than they follow the current one. If you did intend to be compliant, the fines should be of zero concern. Coming from a family of farmers though, it doesn't surprise me. Its still amazing to me that an industry that is now so heavily dependent on chemicals has so little oversight and enforcement.
"The less I know about other people's affairs, the happier I am. I'm not interested in caring about people."
- Ron Swanson

tornadochaser
Mergie Marauder

Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:44 am

HnkrCrash wrote:This law already exists.

The existing law doesn't do crap when it comes to drainage ditches, which are the biggest problem.

On a side note i was at a banquet a few weeks back that a lot of farmers were at and a few topics like the buffer bill came up. Its funny, now that crop prices suck and a lot of producers won't break even this year, that some have already started whining about the CRP acreage cap and not being able to enroll acres....

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:18 am

On a side note, my boss and I just talked about this. He said with buffer strips, there would actually be more phosphorus into our water sources from the drying grass than there would be from soil erosion.

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:28 am

greatwhitehunter3! wrote:On a side note, my boss and I just talked about this. He said with buffer strips, there would actually be more phosphorus into our water sources from the drying grass than there would be from soil erosion.

Your boss should stick to whatever job he's your boss...

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”