bow-fishhunter
Mergie Marauder

How come???

Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:03 pm

How come some states allow "altered habitat" and some don't. In Minnesota you can't flood a corn field or an oak stand but in the southern states it seems you can. Why is that???
If a man speaks in the forest and there no woman is around to hear him... is he still wrong???

PDUX
Coot Commander

Re: How come???

Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:24 pm

Because we short stop ducks anyways . . . (If you ask the southerners:) ) . .. hahaha

triplecurler
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:15 pm

Because we don't know how to easily hunt ducks in Mn.
Ask Al how to successfully nest wood ducks, see you next season.

Waterfowlist
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:20 pm

We would just rather let Missouri attract all the ducks.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:29 pm

OK, I'll bite on this one. The Feds says it is OK to do. (I personally think intentional flooding of standing corn is baiting, but I do not enforce the laws now do I?) So where did you find it that MN DNR does not allow this?
Last edited by h2ofwlr on Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Waterfowlist
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:39 pm

I am pretty sure I found a moist soil Managment guide specifically for Minnesota and it talked about flooding grain. It implied it was legal.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:52 pm

Think the problem you would run into would be getting them to let you pull water from somewhere.
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

Waterfowlist
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:54 pm

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:03 am

bow-fishhunter wrote:How come some states allow "altered habitat" and some don't. In Minnesota you can't flood a corn field or an oak stand but in the southern states it seems you can. Why is that???

FAIL.

First, you're limited to how much water you can take from natural sources. MN farmers don't specialize in retaining or moving water. In this state, you could consider it the "get broke fast" approach to killing a duck. If you and some friends got DEEP pockets for a duck hole, I know a guy, a moist soil expert consultant(doesn't work cheap either), that could show you the way.

You can experience moist soil management in all it's glory here in MN. The Mallard Club is looking for Pro-staffers. It would only cost you $200 a day, and you can hunt every hunt day! It's a bargain for being able to hunt the 5 Oaks of the north.
Dominate The Skies.

get-n-birdy
Mergie Marauder

Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:13 am

Good post!

Mn tends to be a little slow to do anything different. I think the interest in moist soil management is only going to continue to grow. We have a lot of ditches to work with. The regulatory process would be the biggest hurdle. The southern guys have a couple legs up; rice farm water control and a different set of ideals in regards to harvesting birds. For a long time Mn has been championed by ultra conservative minded people like DA who think killing limits of birds is a bad thing, even if bird numbers can easily withstand it. Like it's somehow a moral high ground. My brother was just talking to me about how many European hunting properties are managed with harvesting game as being the ending goal, not just habitat improvement. We seem to think habitat and heavy handed ultra conservative regulations will erase past habitat destruction and market gunning sins. My brother seemed to indicate we almost look at the harvesting of game as a bad part of the equation. Not only is it part of it, it's a bigger part of it than we seem to want to admit to. Enjoying a sunrise is part of it, as well as the reason we load our guns.

I hope Mn can start to realize and embrace it's alright to harvest birds. And enjoy doing it and learn how to do it better.
DENNIS ANDERSON, Then, about five years ago, in 2020, there were no more ducks in the state,

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”