h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Suppressors will be legal - But....

Fri May 22, 2015 4:16 pm

Read below that the police chiefs can decide.

Despite veto threat, Dayton approves bill that legalizes use of gun suppressors

May 22, 2015 By Adam Uren, BMTN

Despite previously suggesting he would veto it, Gov. Mark Dayton today passed a public safety bill that includes legalizing the use of firearm suppressors in Minnesota.

The measure was one of four bills the governor signed Friday, put forward by the Senate and House as part of the state’s $41 billion budget. They cover public safety and judiciary finance, higher education, health and human services, and transportation finance, his office confirmed.

He is still weighing whether to veto some of the remaining bills he has yet to sign. He’s already vetoed the $17.1 billion education bill because it did not commit enough funding from the state’s $1.9 billion surplus.

But it’s proven somewhat surprising he didn’t use his veto on the public safety bill, considering it contained several changes relating to gun laws, including the legalization of gun suppressors – sometimes referred to as “silencers.”

Just a month ago, Dayton vowed to veto any bill crossing his desk that legalizes the use of suppressors in the state, saying: “To allow gunshots to be silenced increases the danger to law enforcement officers, and to innocent bystanders.”

But the Pioneer Press reports the final bill passed by the House and Senate following his comments featured “scaled back language” that he was willing to accept.

The Star Tribune previously reported the bill threatened with a veto had been updated to include a provision to allow local law enforcement chiefs the discretion to deny an application for a suppressor permit.

Other gun measures passed in the bill Friday, KEYC notes, include granting reciprocity for concealed carry permits from other states, and allowing carry permit holders to bring handguns into the State Capitol without having to give prior notice.

The Star Tribune notes other elements of the bills passed include a provision to give pay raises to judges, a $500,000 study into possible changes to MinnesotaCare, tougher drunken-driving laws, and extra funding for Minnesota universities and state colleges. The proposed Blue Alert system, which would notify the public if a law enforcement officer were killed or seriously injured and officials believed the perpetrator posed a threat, was also included.

Dayton has until Saturday to decide whether to veto bills for environment and agriculture, state government agencies, and jobs and energy, the Associated Press reports.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Re: Suppressors will be legal - But....

Fri May 22, 2015 7:48 pm

:D I'm happy to see it pass. Now we can have the same rights as the other 39 states or so that allow suppressors. I believe that they do help with preventing hearing loss.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Sat May 23, 2015 8:24 am

So do $.50 earplugs!
Just kidding, I think it's great they passed it, even if the whole process is prohibitively expensive.

Stute Slap
Mergie Marauder

Sat May 23, 2015 8:38 am

Well I guess maybe he isn't so bad. I do still hate him for raising taxes though......nope he still sucks.

Anywho - does anyone know what the process will be to be able to purchase/own a suppressor in MN?

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Sat May 23, 2015 9:05 am

Get an OK from the your local police chief.

How much do you want to bet that Mpls and St P CoP does not issue a permit?

tornadochaser
Mergie Marauder

Sat May 23, 2015 12:43 pm

Stute Slap wrote:Well I guess maybe he isn't so bad. I do still hate him for raising taxes though......nope he still sucks.

Anywho - does anyone know what the process will be to be able to purchase/own a suppressor in MN?

I don't think MN had any additional guidelines other than what the feds already require. Purchase suppressor, Fingerprint, Leo signature, file the form, pay for the tax stamp, wait 3-6 months for the ATF to process, then your suppressor gets out of jail.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Sat May 23, 2015 1:05 pm

I think originally it was a "shall issue" by the CoP, but it sounds like a "may issue" was changed in the verbiage so Dayton signed off on it. Like I said, good luck with getting one signed by the CoP in the urban area.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Sun May 24, 2015 9:17 pm

Might be just the thing we need to keep hunting our fields

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Mon May 25, 2015 2:46 am

I wonder if the DNR will allow it for hunting?

As for geese and ducks, just use subsonic loads and get them in close for a much quieter decibel.

shnelson
Mergie Marauder

Mon May 25, 2015 7:42 am

Set up an NFA trust for your toys and you bypass the whole local LEO rodeo, that along with other benefits.

This just got to be an expensive year for me, I'm going to be in for two NFA stamps to build an SBR and suppress it. Been wanting to build a honey badger for quite some time now :)

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”