get-n-birdy
Mergie Marauder

Re: Cecil the lion and the controversy

Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:52 pm

I'm still curious on the facts of what the story is with the "landowner" and the "professional hunter". Who knew what and when is a crucial part of the story? Don't doubt the guy is probably an ego maniac, but just cause he likes to trophy hunt big game doesn't automatically make him a douche bag. I wouldn't be surprised if he just cut the check and did whatever the PH told him to. But it wouldn't surprise me if he knew exactly what was going on with the tags. Doubt they were specifically targeting a somewhat wild lion that has been given a human name, was well known, collared and researched. Doubt that they saw the collar till after it was under their feet. That's why they tried to destroy the collar at first, then finally did damage control and confessed up to what they did. There is no doubt in my mind if this wouldn't of been a named, ego manic lion, that paraded itself around for us foolish humans, no one would give a red hot flying chili flatulence about what lion was shot by a dentist from the state with a goofy governor and a goofy accent like in Fargo.
DENNIS ANDERSON, Then, about five years ago, in 2020, there were no more ducks in the state,

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:30 pm

The guides appear to be con men and Palmer a naïve , selfish hunter. My understanding is that the lion was collared, shot but only wounded by a "Professional Hunter (Palmer), tracked for a long distance, and then finally killed. It appears that Palmer made a poor shot, either because of his equipment or his aim. I have a hard time believing that he didn't see the collar and made a very poor shot in an effort to collect a trophy.

When you are hunting lions, don't the guide(s) usually provide a rifle back up in case there is a wounded animal? What happened there?

I do have empathy for Palmer's family as he (they) will be harassed to death by this. Palmer should consider relocating.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:03 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:I am surprised no one has brought this up yet.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1885

Maybe you should take your own advice and not just read your own topics for a change.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:27 am

^^^ because your crappy topic was just that - totally lacking so it did not count. And you brought in another topic into the mix, 3/4 was Walleye bashing related. So you have no one to blame in getting your panties in a bind but yourself.

Meanwhile in Zambabwe...
When asked about the country's official response to the death of Cecil: 'What lion?' was the response given by acting information minister Prisca Mupfumira....

'What lion?' Zimbabweans ask, amid global Cecil circus...

"Are you saying that all this noise is about a dead lion? Lions are killed all the time in this country," said Tryphina Kaseke, a used-clothes hawker on the streets of Harare. "What is so special about this one?"

"Why are the Americans more concerned than us?" said Joseph Mabuwa, a 33-year-old father-of-two cleaning his car in the center of the capital. "We never hear them speak out when villagers are killed by lions and elephants in Hwange."

HARARE (Reuters) - As social media exploded with outrage this week at the killing of Cecil the lion, the untimely passing of the celebrated predator at the hands of an American dentist went largely unnoticed in the animal's native Zimbabwe.

"What lion?" acting information minister Prisca Mupfumira asked in response to a request for comment about Cecil, who was at that moment topping global news bulletins and generating reams of abuse for his killer on websites in the United States and Europe.

The government has still given no formal response, and on Thursday the papers that chose to run the latest twist in the Cecil saga tucked it away on inside pages.

One title had to rely on foreign news agency copy because it failed to send a reporter to the court appearance of two locals involved.

In contrast, the previous evening 200 people stood in protest outside the suburban Minneapolis dental practice of 55-year-old Walter Palmer, calling for him to be extradited to Zimbabwe to face charges of taking part in an illegal hunt.

Local police are also investigating death threats against Palmer, whose location is not known. Because many of the threats were online, police are having difficulty determining their origins and credibility.

Palmer, a lifelong big game hunter, has admitted killing Cecil with a bow and arrow on July 1 near Zimbabwe's Hwange national park, but said he had hired professional local guides with the required hunting permits and believed the hunt was legal.

For most people in the southern African nation, where unemployment tops 80 percent and the economy continues to feel the after-effects of billion percent hyperinflation a decade ago, the uproar had all the hallmarks of a 'First World Problem'.

"Are you saying that all this noise is about a dead lion? Lions are killed all the time in this country," said Tryphina Kaseke, a used-clothes hawker on the streets of Harare. "What is so special about this one?"

As with many countries in Africa, in Zimbabwe big wild animals such as lions, elephants or hippos are seen either as a potential meal, or a threat to people and property that needs to be controlled or killed.

http://news.yahoo.com/lion-zimbabweans-ask-amid-global-cecil-circus-140822692.html

Nothing quite like putting it into perspective.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Big Doe Hunter
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:31 am

Fish Felon wrote:
h2ofwlr wrote:I am surprised no one has brought this up yet.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1885

Maybe you should take your own advice and not just read your own topics for a change.

......and the slap fight continues......
get-n-birdy wrote:Remember, just because it's not legal doesn't mean you can't do it, there's just a fee if you get caught.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:11 pm

Well worth the time to view to better understand the realities and dilemma of the Lions in African countries. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiyQvm9d4tM

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:59 am

Big Doe Hunter wrote:
......and the slap fight continues......

It's more like a tickle fight at this point.

Biggest problem facing lions is the same one that the buffalo faced. Too many friggin' people trying to make a living.

Hunting is one of the few things helping them.

If you're an African farmer/rancher why wouldn't you convert as much of your land to row crops as possible and kill anything that could eat your livestock?

A paycheck.

Lion hunters are willing to write some pretty big checks. At $50K a lion I wouldn't mind having a lot of lions.

With what a dollar is worth over there you'd only need to have one killed a year to have a nice living. It'd sure beat having to farm or work otherwise.
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:25 pm

Fish Felon wrote:It's more like a tickle fight at this point.

Biggest problem facing lions is the same one that the buffalo faced. Too many friggin' people trying to make a living.

Just remember that I like to tickle with a 10" Bowie knife.

Spot on about what the real issue is in Africa.

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:06 pm

I like to tickle with 10" of something else.

:)
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:45 pm

That's why I have the knife, to make a he into an it!

Mean while..... the drama continues. Delta and United airlines have banned all freight from Africa for Liona, Cheetahs, Buffalo, Elephant and Rhinos.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”