Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Cannabis hearings draw crowds in Rochester, Willmar

Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:16 am

State briefs: Cannabis hearings draw crowds in Rochester, Willmar

August 29, 2015 - 5:54 PM

ROCHESTER

Hearings on expanding pot program draw crowds

Dozens of people turned out at public hearings in Rochester and Willmar last week, eager to weigh in on a plan to open Minnesota’s medical marijuana program to pain patients.

Pain patients make up the bulk of customers in most states’ medical marijuana programs. Minnesota’s program, which launched in July, is one of the most restrictive in the nation.

As of Friday, just 395 patients were registered with the Office of Medical Cannabis. Supporters say cannabis is an effective pain treatment, but critics worry that expansion would open the program up to abuse by recreational users.

The health commissioner will decide in January whether to expand the program. For a schedule of upcoming public hearings around the state, visit: http://www.health.state.mn.us/topics/cannabis/

Jennifer Brooks @stribrooks

Duluth

Two-year bridge project headed for fall completion

The two-year renovation of the Richard I. Bong Memorial Bridge passed a milestone last week with the partial opening of a new roundabout on the bridge’s east end.

It’s the first roundabout for the Twin Ports area.

The roundabout partly opened last week, with eastbound U.S. 2 traffic still detoured to the Blatnik Bridge. The Bong Bridge renovation work should be completed in November, according to the Wisconsin Department of Transportation.

The roundabout is just one piece of an $11 million bridge renovation project that has forced the rerouting of thousands of vehicles this summer as workers update the Bong Bridge’s lighting, paint it and replace structural joints and arch components, among other things.

The Bong Bridge is one of two primary routes linking Duluth and Superior, Wis. The other route, the Blatnik, has carried detour traffic while Bong construction is underway. The reconstruction work is the most significant redo of the bridge since it opened in 1984.

Matt McKinney @_mattmckinney

New Ulm

Grant to help demolish flood-plain structures

The Federal Emergency Management Agency last week granted $646,000 to Brown County to acquire and demolish four homes along the Minnesota River.

The money from the agency’s Hazard Mitigation Grant Program will be matched with $215,000 from the state DNR to permanently remove the structures from the flood plain, all in the city of New Ulm.

The move will “greatly reduce the financial impact on individuals and the community when future flooding and landslides occur in this area,” FEMA’s Region V Administrator Andrew Velasquez III said in a statement.

Pam Louwagie @pamlouwagie
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Re: Cannabis hearings draw crowds in Rochester, Willmar

Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:48 am

I hope they expand the program. I believe that it is beneficial to those that cannot tolerate synthetic drugs or the side effects from them. It is too bad that it took this long for it to happen.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:01 am

If nothing else hopefully this will stop the future wars against ditch weed. It's a shame how much gets burned even though it'll give you only a headache if smoked. The stuff is awesome for wildlife.
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:12 am

Sarcastic or serious on the benefits for wildlife?
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Big Doe Hunter
Mergie Marauder

Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:26 am

Fish Felon wrote:If nothing else hopefully this will stop the future wars against ditch weed. It's a shame how much gets burned even though it'll give you only a headache if smoked. The stuff is awesome for wildlife.

The best dove hunting I've ever had was on a WPA that had a patch of ditch weed about the size of a city block. Doves love the seeds Bro.
get-n-birdy wrote:Remember, just because it's not legal doesn't mean you can't do it, there's just a fee if you get caught.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: Cannabis hearings draw crowds in Rochester, Willmar

Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:17 pm

Big Doe Hunter wrote:[quote="Fish Felon"]If nothing else hopefully this will stop the future wars against ditch weed. It's a shame how much gets burned even though it'll give you only a headache if smoked. The stuff is awesome for wildlife.

The best dove hunting I've ever had was on a WPA that had a patch of ditch weed about the size of a city block. Doves love the seeds Bro.[/quote]
What do you think is in a lot of bird food.

Team Power Dump
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:23 pm

I learned something new today.

And then this evening I run across this:

http://newsok.com/marijuana-bird-blind- ... le/5443838

Sunday morning, August 30th, did not start out like a normal day for game wardens Phillip Cottrill (Garfield County) and Lt. Frank Huebert (Major County). A passer by called in and reported seeing some mojo dove decoys spinning in a field. The wardens arrived to find 3 guys dove hunting over bait. Strangely, they were using dove blinds that were built out of marihuana plants. The dove poachers were in possession of 45 dove, marihuana buds and a pipe.

The wardens went to a residence with one suspect to get his Drivers license. While at the residence the wardens observed a large pipe on the refrigerator and stripped marihuana plants in an ice chest. The wardens then obtained a search warrant and with the help of deputies from the Major County Sheriffs Office found more marihuana, methamphetamines and needles.

Hawk and owl fans were also located on a wall in the house along with their talons. One suspect was taken to jail on 3 outstanding warrants. Multiple charges on all three suspects are pending!

Many thanks to those who take the time to report unusual activity!!! Cases like this are usually a result of concerned citizens making the call!

(MariHuana apparently to match state statute spelling)
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

HnkrCrash
Mergie Marauder

Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:46 am

About time people got their heads outta their asses and pushed for a broader scope of approved "medical" conditions. Allowing "pain" patients access is de facto legalization. California has similar rules in place and anybody who wants their marijuana card can get one. Grow it large scale and tax it. Anybody who can't get weed now is a square or an idiot; making it available widespread isn't going to result in any measurable increase in usage...the state will just be making money off what's already happening.
"The less I know about other people's affairs, the happier I am. I'm not interested in caring about people."
- Ron Swanson

get-n-birdy
Mergie Marauder

Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:02 am

^
^
^

What he said.
DENNIS ANDERSON, Then, about five years ago, in 2020, there were no more ducks in the state,

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:09 am

Wow, talk about when partying too hard goes wrong with those dove poachers. Had they just waited until the 1st they would have been fine.

I wonder what will end up getting them in more trouble, the meth or the raptors?

Most likely the speed but they don't mess around when it comes to raptors. Shoot 'em and leave them.
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”