Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Minnesota Public Radio

Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:28 pm

Has anyone noticed how biased MPR is for the democratic party? I can't even listen to them around election time. They slip in little comments or present slanted stories that make the republican party or their agendas look bad. And it's not just around election time. Anytime there is something in the news that is a left vs right topic MPR clearly leans to the left. A good example was all of their anti-gun stories post Sandy Hook.

I don't align myself with a political party. When I listen to news or radio programs I don't want political agendas pushed on me, if I did I would listen to FOX or MSNBC. I typically jam music when I'm in my car but when I'm not I listen to MPR but I have found myself shutting it off constantly because I don't like listening to biased news.

The reason I ask is every time they do a member donation drive they always stress that they are one of the few stations that present a non-biased view although that is clearly not true. Their first bullet in their ethics guidelines is "◾We are unbiased and non-partisan in our reporting." They aren't as direct as most news companies but they are certainly biased and partisan for the libs.

I believe public radio gets some of their operating money from grants from our government. If I am not correct on that let me know, I didn't really have the time to research it out. If they are receiving tax payer money they should not be biased towards one party or the other and should be held accountable if they are. Just my little rant for the day.

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Re: Minnesota Public Radio

Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:38 pm

I have felt the exact same way. Its why I never send them any money.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:57 pm

Ask Joe Soucheray if MPR gets public money!

StuStiltman
Mergie Marauder

Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:06 pm

MPR leans to the left? Yes, duh. It is a good place to get news, and hear in depth stories you won't hear other places on the radio, but ya, it has a left wing spin to its reporting. IMO its not as far left as am talk radio is right, if that makes sense. It seams to me the stories have a left flavor to them but they don't usually have left wing opinion pieces, which is probably why they call themselves fair and balanced.

HnkrCrash
Mergie Marauder

Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:13 pm

You're problem is that you are listening to the radio in the first place. Who does that anymore?

Train by day, Joe Rogan Podcast by night. All day!

Oh yeah, and Vice News
"The less I know about other people's affairs, the happier I am. I'm not interested in caring about people."
- Ron Swanson

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:34 pm

HnkrCrash wrote:You're problem is that you are listening to the radio in the first place. Who does that anymore?

Train by day, Joe Rogan Podcast by night. All day!

Oh yeah, and Vice News

And Jason Ellis in the afternoon
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

jriegel
I'll Swat Your Decoys

Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:25 pm

Nershi wrote:Has anyone noticed how biased MPR is for the democratic party?

Alert the media Lindbergh Baby

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:35 pm

Nershi wrote:They slip in little comments or present slanted stories that make the republican party or their agendas look bad. And it's not just around election time. Anytime there is something in the news that is a left vs right topic MPR clearly leans to the left.

I've noticed a lot of the same thing in the Strib the past couple years. It's no secret the paper has always leaned left but on a scale of 1 to 10 they'd be a 5.5 to 7 and it was more an issue of content chosen to be printed, not commentary within the content.

In the last year or two the writing has been awful in the A section. Complete loss of journalistic integrity in presenting the facts unbiased in many articles. A lot of modern journalists apparently feel it's their duty to add in their own social commentary and takes when presenting a news story to the public.

MPR is what it is...liberal garbage. Liberal garbage, conservative garbage, lots of crap on the radio and in the media. We are MPR supporters because my wife loves the current. I can't complain since she donates a lot less than I do to various conservation orgs.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:12 am

Always remember: "non-profit" does not mean "no-money".

The news programming has definitely softened. The fact that Cecil continues to get play because the dentist went back to work?

The competition for legitimate news outlets is not other news outlets, it's the almost news outlets like HuffPo, Gawker, TechCrunch, Etc.

The new wave of journalists are mostly female and have voice inflections that bring back Valley Girl. I'm sorry. You are automatically discredited if you end a sentence in " I know, right?".

Keri Miller can't hide the production note of "up tempo 30 minutes" any better than she could fake sorrow @ Gary Aikton's retirement.

Journalistic integrity has always been a euphamism, but the formula for collecting coin has become increasingly Pop driven.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:38 am

What bugs me is they are getting government money and they present a politically biased view. When the government was considering cutting their funding when they were doing their budget MPR was asking their listeners to contact their representatives to ask them to support public radio stations. Of course one of their selling points when they were asking their listeners to do this was the fact that they present un-biased news coverage.

Are other politically biased media companies receiving government grants? I don't watch TV or listen to more than an hour of the radio a week so I'm pretty sheltered from the media so maybe this is a normal thing?

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”