Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

DNR investigating deer believed drowned by pontoon driver

Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:11 am

LOCAL

Minnesota DNR investigating deer believed drowned by pontoon driver

The DNR is investigating the death of a deer on Tulaby Lake. Lake association members say it died of exhaustion after a pontoon driver harassed it. — Courtesy Of Tulaby Lake Association, Star Tribune

By PAM LOUWAGIE , STAR TRIBUNE
September 23, 2015 - 2:18 AM

Pontoon boat driver allegedly harassed buck.

The Minnesota DNR is investigating a report of a deer getting harassed by a pontoon driver in northwestern Minnesota to the point of exhaustion, dying before making it to shore.

Members of the Tulaby Lake Association found the deer about 300 yards from shore over Labor Day weekend and spoke with another boater who reported confronting the pontoon driver and taking photos of the pontoon after watching the pontoon go back and forth, said association member Dan Peterson. The association members took the deer to shore and called the DNR, Peterson said.

The boater reported that the pontoon stayed between the shore and the deer, a grown buck, he added.

“It’s just a tragic event. From our standpoint, our lake association is in a beautiful wilderness area, wooded area, and our members are all about promoting and preserving and protecting” the area and the wildlife in it, Peterson said. “To have somebody who would do something like this, it’s frustrating and it’s saddening really.”

While the pontoon belongs to someone with property on the lake, about 20 miles west of Itasca State Park, the boat’s driver was believed to be a visitor, Peterson said.

DNR officials confirmed an ongoing investigation, but declined to comment further.

It is against the law to harass animals, DNR public information officer Rich Sprouse confirmed.

“Our advice always to the people of Minnesota is to leave wildlife alone,” Sprouse said.

Pam Louwagie • 612-673-7102
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Re: DNR investigating deer believed drowned by pontoon driver

Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:30 pm

Last sentence... Especially teal. And wolves. And moose. And walleyes in Red Lake & Mille Lacs.

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:37 pm

If the claims that the pontoon driver harassed/tortured that deer to the point of exhaustion & drowning are true, I hope they nail his butt to a cross. This has got to be one of the more shameful stories that I've heard in a long time.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

Mr. Lee
I'll Swat Your Decoys

Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:22 pm

“It’s just a tragic event.

Real tragedy!! lol

We only drive over them by the hundreds every week and shoot them by the thousands during hunting season…..but yet this one dead deer is such a tragedy?

Send them some tissues!!!

WALKER
Mergie Marauder

Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:13 am

That's the problem with you Lee-no damn compassion. I think I'll nominate you for the "SAVE BAMBI" fundraiser. So tell the truth-you cried while reading this story.

Stute Slap
Mergie Marauder

Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:10 pm

Mr. Lee wrote:“It’s just a tragic event.

Real tragedy!! lol

We only drive over them by the hundreds every week and shoot them by the thousands during hunting season…..but yet this one dead deer is such a tragedy?

I always think about the deer waking up opening morning......stand up, take a breath of fresh air, maybe have a nice big stretch......BOOM!....front leg disappears.........BOOM!........slug thru the guts spray the tree next to him.......next three hours it hobbles for it's life. But the the facebook picture of Jr. with his first fork horn buck was worth chasing that sumbitch thru the swamp!!

Not a tragedy.

Big Doe Hunter
Mergie Marauder

Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:19 pm

Mr. Lee wrote:“It’s just a tragic event.

Real tragedy!! lol

Solid point. I hope the guy in the pontoon got some good pictures! Personally I would have jumped in and rode it! If the deer would have been a doe, not a nice buck, I doubt this would even be a story and probably not even reported.
get-n-birdy wrote:Remember, just because it's not legal doesn't mean you can't do it, there's just a fee if you get caught.

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:36 pm

Tradegy? Hell no.

Sadistic? Possibly.

Every trophy deer hunter talks about how smart mature bucks are...why didn't the buck just swim back to shore and wait to cross later?

I'm guessing this is to be blamed on wolves. There must have been a pack chasing him waiting back on shore. Just kidding, j/k, j/k! Nothing to blame but a dumb animal and a sadistic dbag.....but....

We have no idea if he was trying to kill this deer. Maybe he's just another idiot wildlife 'lover' that had never seen something like this and thought it was so cool and enjoyed the experience so much he 'loved it to death.' I've witnessed several deer and even more bears swimming on the Canada side of Lake of the Woods. It's cool to see. I've boated up to them for a pic or two.

But if he was trying to kill it, which I doubt, then that's pretty effed up. This is only as bad, or "tragic," as his intent.
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:21 pm

Stute Slap wrote:I always think about the deer waking up opening morning......stand up, take a breath of fresh air, maybe have a nice big stretch......BOOM!....front leg disappears.........BOOM!........slug thru the guts spray the tree next to him.......next three hours it hobbles for it's life.

The difference is they weren't intentionally trying to inflict a slow painful death. If the pontoon guy was, which I doubt, then he's got a screw loose.

Bad shots are the part that sucks about big game hunting. I've shot around 20 whitetail, mule deer and pronghorn over the years. I've never lost one I've wounded. I have hit several far back and came up to them pulling themselves with their front legs frantically and making noise. A decent pronghorn buck I shot made the most bloodcurdling screams I've ever heard.

I felt terrible. I always want to make a clean kill...even on a cat or skunk.

Guys that get off on that part and are like, "Where you going motherf**ker!" Or walk up laughing before finishing it off are not right in the head. Hunting gets messy at times, it's part of it and it's not like I've ever shed any tears over that part but to enjoy it and savor it seems weird to me.
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: DNR investigating deer believed drowned by pontoon driver

Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:31 pm

Fish Felon wrote:[quote="Stute Slap"]I always think about the deer waking up opening morning......stand up, take a breath of fresh air, maybe have a nice big stretch......BOOM!....front leg disappears.........BOOM!........slug thru the guts spray the tree next to him.......next three hours it hobbles for it's life.

The difference is they weren't intentionally trying to inflict a slow painful death. If the pontoon guy was, which I doubt, then he's got a screw loose.

Bad shots are the part that sucks about big game hunting. I've shot around 20 whitetail, mule deer and pronghorn over the years. I've never lost one I've wounded. I have hit several far back and came up to them pulling themselves with their front legs frantically and making noise. A decent pronghorn buck I shot made the most bloodcurdling screams I've ever heard.

I felt terrible. I always want to make a clean kill...even on a cat or skunk.

Guys that get off on that part and are like, "Where you going motherf**ker!" Or walk up laughing before finishing it off are not right in the head. Hunting gets messy at times, it's part of it and it's not like I've ever shed any tears over that part but to enjoy it and savor it seems weird to me.[/quote]
I feel remorse for everything I kill. I don't understand the guys that get off on all the blood and guts, animal crawling around and chit like that.

Team Power Dump
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”