Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Splits

Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:30 am

As someone who was very outspoken in favor of the splits during the season, I would like to apologize. I was wrong. Bullet was right. These splits are so stupid. Just so a couple morons on the river can hunt the 8 mallards that sit down there in December, is no reason to keep thousands of guys from banging away at the locals/early migrants we have all over right now. I would be especially pissed if I was like Gimfinger and lived in the river zone, but was hundreds of miles away from reaping the benefits.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Re: Splits

Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:33 am

I liked the 5 day split the Central zone has now, but the split we have now for the south zone is just stupid.....for us in the SW part of state anyways.....
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:45 am

Splits are gay. Never liked them, never will...here.

They are good for wintering states...not flyover states.
Dominate The Skies.

Big Doe Hunter
Mergie Marauder

Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:41 pm

Meh. I do think they should make the furtherest South Zone specifically a SE zone, cutoff being maybe I-35 and East? But I like the splits, and I bet by the re-opening in the far South there should be plenty of stupid ducks are for all the MEA'ers to blast at.

Here's a hint......if your Zone is closed, hunt a different Zone!

Bullet I am assuming you could go to the North Zone and shack up with Mr. Lee at anytime.
get-n-birdy wrote:Remember, just because it's not legal doesn't mean you can't do it, there's just a fee if you get caught.

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:10 pm

I can hunt anywhere anytime.
Dominate The Skies.

Stute Slap
Mergie Marauder

Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:41 pm

Trigger wrote:As someone who was very outspoken in favor of the splits during the season, I would like to apologize. I was wrong. Bullet was right. These splits are so stupid. Just so a couple morons on the river can hunt the 8 mallards that sit down there in December, is no reason to keep thousands of guys from banging away at the locals/early migrants we have all over right now. I would be especially pissed if I was like Gimfinger and lived in the river zone, but was hundreds of miles away from reaping the benefits.

Possibly the first time I ever seen someone admit they were wrong on the internet.

9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:53 pm

Big Doe Hunter wrote:Here's a hint......if your Zone is closed, hunt a different Zone!

That's what sucks about our south zone split we have now, the last 2 years we've been loaded with a good push of divers for this coming weekend in which we couldn't hunt , all for a week at the end of the year in which were froze up solid , yes I know we can travel north to hunt but it makes no sense when we have birds here to hunt.

I agree 100% with you about the southeast zone......
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

Brose
Mergie Marauder

Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:55 pm

Those 8 mallard make for some good hunts.
DOA Decoys Pro Staff
Mossy Oak Pro Staff

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:42 pm

Stute Slap wrote:
Trigger wrote:As someone who was very outspoken in favor of the splits during the season, I would like to apologize. I was wrong. Bullet was right. These splits are so stupid. Just so a couple morons on the river can hunt the 8 mallards that sit down there in December, is no reason to keep thousands of guys from banging away at the locals/early migrants we have all over right now. I would be especially pissed if I was like Gimfinger and lived in the river zone, but was hundreds of miles away from reaping the benefits.

Possibly the first time I ever seen someone admit they were wrong on the internet.

Yeo. I was way off. The splits are a joke. They were definitely worth the try though, just to show how bad they suck.

Big Doe Hunter, you want me to drive two- three hours north just to hunt for an hour before work? It's another two-three hour drive back too. That's a lot of driving for an hour of hunting.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:11 pm

The splits are divided poorly.. It should be adjusted to a North Zone (North of 210 or 212), a South (South of 210 or 212), and a SE Zone (South of I-94 and East of Hwy 52). South of 212 can be decent at Thanksgiving and if the 5 days gets us to that, great. But 10+ makes zero sense.

Taking 5 days from during the week doesn't hurt much. Can tell you from experience though, some of the best hunts I've had were this weekend......

The other option, just create a SE zone and leave the rest of the state alone.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”