h2ofwlr
The One And Only

The Great Armistice Day Blizzard of 1940, 49 duck hunters in MN perished

Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:14 am

it's been 75 years now, I wonder if any of the surviving duck hunters caught in the storm are still alive today?

Quakem posted this 1 up a year ago

The Great Armistice Day Storm of 1940

by Keith Sutton

On Armistice Day, November 11, 1940, thousands of hunters gathered to hunt ducks on the Upper Mississippi River in the Great Plains and Upper Midwest, including Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Illinois.

The fall of 1940 had been unseasonably warm. In many areas along the “Father of Waters,” November 11 started with blue skies and a balmy 55-degree temperature. The pleasant weather didn’t last long, though, for to the west, a storm was brewing, a storm that earlier had hit the Pacific Northwest with near hurricane-force gusts. Storms normally weaken as they cross the Rockies, but this storm did not. Instead, it tapped moisture from the Gulf of Mexico and cold air lurking over Canada, and the two combined into an explosive pattern. Skies darkened, winds picked up and sprinkles of rain began to fall. Around noon, a howling blizzard began making its way across the Upper Mississippi, a blizzard no one would ever forget.

When the temperature first began to plummet, most duck hunters were pleased. Shooting conditions were perfect. Thousands of ducks started funneling into the river valley, and the gunning got better and better. What the hunters did not realize was that the ducks were gathering in huge concentrations to seek shelter from the increasingly bad weather. Many hunters decided to stay until they could take a limit of birds (and they were big limits in those days) or until shooting hours were over at 4 p.m.

During the excitement of the hunt, the ferocity of the wind and cold air was ignored. And when 4 o’clock rolled around, the hunters discovered it was too rough to get back to the mainland. Some tried anyway and managed to make it ashore under their own steam. They stood, white and shaking on solid ground, and looked back on a river running 5-foot waves.

Hundreds did not make it back home that night. Freezing, they made their way to high ground when possible, and tried to make the best of a terrible situation. Some huddled together for warmth under overturned boats. Others walked round and round to keep from freezing. All of them suffered. Before the night was over, the wild chill temperature dropped as low as minus 55 degrees.

The next day, more than 50 duck hunters were found dead by rescuers, their frozen bodies recovered from marshes, lakes, potholes, ponds and rivers from Ontario to Illinois and from Iowa to Michigan. And the Great Armistice Day Storm found a place of infamy as one of the deadliest winter storms ever to hit this country.
Last edited by h2ofwlr on Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Re: The Great Armistice Day Blizzard of 1940

Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:22 am

Sounds like today's weather.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:39 am

A fierce storm, moments to react
Thirty-eight duck hunters died in a sudden blizzard on Armistice Day in 1940. Rollie Chapple and his father were two of the lucky ones.

By BILL KLEIN, Special to the Star Tribune
update: November 7, 2009 - 9:10 PM

Rollie Chapple figures that his dad's bad back and an untrustworthy outboard motor saved his life that day. At just 17 years old, Rollie was already an 11-year veteran of the Mississippi River bottoms and the whims of weather. But he and his dad, Lawrence, a true river rat tutor, had never seen anything like this before.

Father and son were on a three-day duck hunt. It stretched into Monday because school was out for the holiday. It was Nov. 11, 1940. Armistice Day.

The Chapples made the 60-mile trip on Friday evening from their home near Hixton, Wis., to a log cabin Lawrence had built on the shores of the river near Buffalo City. They were 14 miles north of Winona on the Wisconsin side. The weather Saturday and Sunday was unseasonably warm and misty. That was about to change -- big-time.

"One of the great myths about Armistice Day 1940 is that the duck hunting was so good people stayed out on the river when they shouldn't have," said Rollie, now 86 and living in Eden Prairie. "The truth of the matter is, hunting was only fair, at least in the Buffalo Bottoms. The great majority of the ducks had sensed the coming storm and flown south."

About noon Monday, the elder Chapple waded over to the 14-foot Shell Lake cedar strip boat where Rollie was hunting. It was still warm. A light southeast wind had died.

"What do you think, son? Should we wrap it up?"

"Whatever you think, Dad."

"My back is aching like a storm is coming," Lawrence said. "Let's get out of here."

But in the few minutes it took to gather their ducks, pack their gear and make their way through the backwater islands for the run across the open water Mississippi channel to their cabin, the weather had changed dramatically.

"The wind came in like a summer squall," Rollie said, "from calm to furious in a matter of minutes." Lawrence beached the boat on a steep sandbar created by the Corp of Engineers when it had dredged out a navigable channel. He studied the angry waves in the quarter-mile of open water separating them from the cabin. The wind was clipping the tops off the white caps.

Lawrence noted the northwest wind had a mile or more reach right down the channel. He also worried about their cantankerous outboard motor. "I can still see my dad bracing himself against the wind with an oar while he studied the river," Rollie said.

"And now snow was whipping down the river in horizontal sheets," he added.

When his dad slid back down the sandbank to the boat, he announced: "We'll hunker down out here. Help me drag the boat up and over this bank." The Chapples were unaware that only 6 miles south of them in Fountain City, Wis., other duck hunters who had decided not to hunker down were drowning or freezing to death trying to get off the river.

Using the lee side of the sand ridge for protection from the now-shrieking wind, Lawrence and Rollie turned the boat on its side. Then, with an ax that was always part of their duck hunting equipment cache, they cut forked branches to hold the port-side gunnel up enough for them to crawl under the boat. Then Lawrence directed his son to begin collecting firewood. With great difficulty they started a fire near enough the boat to absorb some heat.

"We were never really uncomfortable," said Rollie, "because we each had a duffel bag with extra clothing and plenty of sandwiches and apples my mom had sent with us. My dad had been burned before by weather. So, if anything, we were overprepared."

When daylight broke on Nov. 12, the father and son emerged from the snowdrift surrounding their boat shelter and were stunned by what they saw and felt. The temperature had dropped from 50 degrees the previous afternoon to 20 below zero. There were mountainous snowdrifts against anything that slowed the wind. And the river was completely frozen over.

"It was disorienting because all of the familiar colors were gone. Everything was white or gray," Rollie said. "My dad wanted to get off the river right away and find a phone. He knew my mom would be frantic."

Together the men kicked and clawed the snow away from their boat and pulled it down to the frozen river channel. Lawrence dug out a spud bar, a 5-foot-long, heavy metal tool, and began checking the ice on the channel. "He walked all the way out to the middle thumping the ice every step," Rollie said. "I was pretty relieved when I saw him turn and come back for me."

The two then pushed their boat across the ice, ready to jump in if the ice gave way.

They were aided by a ferocious tailwind. The same wind was denying members of the Coast Guard, waiting on shore, from pushing their 22-foot dory boats onto the ice-choked river to rescue other trapped duck hunters.

"We had never been really worried until the Coast Guard guys told us about all the hunters who had died," Rollie said. "When my dad heard that, he immediately waded through the snow to a home near our cabin where he knew there was a phone and called my mom. She had been fearing the worst."

In retrospect, Lawrence and Rollie Chapple agreed that the record-breaking low pressure of the storm and its effect on the elder man's back had given them a heads-up. Their lack of trust in their outboard motor plus their extra clothing and food convinced them to hunker down and survive one bad storm.

Game wardens field notes document well 'the day all hell broke loose'

By John Cross, Free Press Staff Writer
The Mankato Free Press Sun Nov 06, 2011, 12:25 AM CDT
http://mankatofreepress.com/outdoor...e ... roke-loose
Nowadays, one of the first thing waterfowl hunters check is the morning forecast.

But in the pre-war days of 1940, forecasting the weather was little more than an educated guess.

There were no weather satellite images, no radar. Most folks relied on their own personal observations or perhaps the booming signal of WCCO radio with what passed then as a weather forecast to guess what kind of weather lay in store for the future.

So 71 years ago, when Nov. 11, 1940, dawned clear and mild with 50 degree temperatures, waterfowl hunters across Minnesota headed afield lightly clothed, reveling in the unseasonable conditions and largely unprepared for what churned beyond the western horizon.

Willis Kruger, a Minnesota game warden stationed in Wabasha along the Mississippi River had made plans earlier to team up with another warden to spend the day checking the numerous waterfowl hunters scattered throughout the backwaters of the nearby Mississippi River.

The previous day, Nov. 10, 1940 a Sunday was a routine day according to entries he made in his daily wardens report at day end:

Nov. 10-Went by car to West Newton. It was raining hard but patrolled part of this area by canoe. Then went to West Newton near Fisher Island. Patrolled this area checking hunters for overlimit, licenses and unplugged guns. Ducks were flying good and a hard rain continued all day. Stayed in slough until dark. Missed two late shooters on account of poor visibility. I was not certain who they were so could not make an arrest. Patrolled nearly all of Weaver Slough and one main camp from where most hunters go out from.

Once at home, as is the case with today conservation officers, duty still called.

He wrote: The two fishermen from Alma, Wis. called at my home at night questioning. I gave them back the gill net which I found with no tags on. In a telephone conversation with Mr. Appel, Wis. warden, I found out they were good honest fishermen and that the tags no doubt were stolen from the nets. I believe this is the best way to settle this minor trouble as long as Wis. would be involved with it.

It would be the last routine patrol he would make for several weeks. The next day he was caught in the middle of a historic and tragic event the Armistice Day Blizzard.

The massive storm that has been referred to as a day ;when all hell broke loose claimed more than 160 people, 20 of them waterfowl hunters along the Mississippi River between Red Wing and Prairie du Chien, Wis.

Nov. 11, 1941-Met warden Dragkowski. We decided to check hunters all day and try to find hunter Blair Sherriek whom we believe was hunting in Weaver Bottoms. A very big wind came up so we warned a few hunters to leave area. Arrived home about 5:30 p.m. and immediately went to sheriff office and reported bad storm. A call came in that one man was drowned and another in very bad shape at Pughs Point. ...We found blocked roads but finally got to Pughs Point. Conditions were terrible, waves 4 to 5 ft high and any attempts at rescuing hunters would have resulted in death for us. ...We drove around locating cars and missing hunters ... went to Nelson, Wisconsin to answer a call sent in earlier in evening ... both hunters there were found dead, 3 rescued alive.

Nov. 12-Rescued 2 Rochester hunters alive, aided Sheriff Jacobs in other rescue work ... patrolled West Newton and Weaver Bottom area. All hunters appear to have gotten out safely in this area. Stopped at hunting camps to inquire about missing persons ...We searched the area below Wabasha for 3 St. Paul hunters believed to have drowned. Found overturned boat in Robinson Lake. Waves were very high yet, rescue work very dangerous. All hunters alive are saved.

Nov. 13-Went by car to Burrichters Slough. I got across ice on Robinson Lake, patrolled islands for bodies of St. Paul hunters. Ice is unsafe to put many people on ... Patrolled this area until 11 a.m. then went to Pughs Point to look for a Wabasha hunter who was drowned. We used boats and pike poles trying to locate his body. ... Bodies of two hunters found at Robinson lake near shore. I walked past them at least 4 times but did not see them. Also was near them Monday night. ... Report of car still parked at West Newton. When we got there it was gone. A Lake City had spent night at farm house after spending entire night in the swamp.

Nov. 14-Spent most the morning searching for a St. Paul hunter in Robinson Lake. Went home, ate dinner but before I went to Wabasha drove to Pughs Point. Tested ice and took sounding in bay, Ice was safe so got pike poles, ice chisels and went back to Pughs Point, chopped holes all afternoon and searched for body of Wabasha hunter. Returned home at 10:30.

Nov. 15-Went to Pughs Point. Helped with rescue work in recovery of Wabasha hunter. Received a call St. Paul police was sending an expert down to recover body. Met him at Burrichter . He stated we were using the only right method to recover body. ... Spent entire day recovering bodies.

Five days after the storm, Kruger was still participating in searches for missing hunters. However, he once again began his law enforcement duties.

Nov. 16- Went to Pughs Point. Worked all morning on rescue work. At 1 p.m. went to Reeds after net of James Cudra. Dragged river for body of Wabasha hunter. ... Made trip down to Fisher Island looking for hunters’ equipment. Caught Richard Drips shooting ducks in open water. Took his gun and license and when I looked at his license he was only sixteen years old. Told him he was under advisement but gave back gun and license. Will investigate later as to age as he certainly looked over 16 years. Went to boat landing at Wabasha, helped unload a seine and then returned home. Had calls to answer and several parties called at home for information about hunting. ... I have several investigations to make but have had no time to spare. They are minor charges so will take care of first part of week.

Kruger apparently finally got a few days off since his next daily report was dated Nov. 21, 1940. For the rest of the month, Kruger continued periodically to search for the missing hunters.

But it was now the deer season and the trapping season also was ramping up. More of Kruge daily reports were dominated with issuing retaining tags for deer, patrolling trappers or supervising gill-netting activities.

Nevertheless, his daily reports continued to search near Pughs Point for the missing Wabasha hunter as late as Nov. 27.

Evidently, nature rather than lack of effort finally ended the search. By Nov. 28, winter was gaining the upper hand as the river bottoms began to ice over for good.

Nov. 30-It snowed all morning and I stayed at home. At noon, patrolled out towards Thielman. Watched for pheasants to get a better check on them. Issued some retaining tags there. ... Patrolled part of the area for pheasant sign but drifting made this work useless and no hunters were out. Returned to Wabasha about 5:30 and worked on monthly expense account. Completed daily reports for mailing.

The body of the missing Wabasha hunter was never recovered.

Editor note: The preceding accounts were taken from the daily warden reports filed by Game Warden Willis Kruger during his career that spanned from 1939-1970, all of it while stationed in Wabasha. He died in the 1980s. His daily reports were saved by his son, Richard Kruger, who served as a Minnesota game warden/conservation officer in Blue Earth County from 1960-1992 and still resides in Mankato. Krugers son, William, also a Mankato resident, is a third generation state law enforcement officer as a member with the Minnesota State Patrol.

This has some interesting photos too.
http://wjon.com/armistice-day-blizzard- ... a-history/

Armistice Day Blizzard on This Date In Central Minnesota History

By Jim Maurice November 11, 2011

The Soo Line between Albany and Holdingford (Stearns History Museum)
UNDATED - November 11th, 1940 Armistice Day Blizzard

Blizzard is a word that brings fear, excitement, danger and awe to those who have experienced one. Today marks the anniversary of the Armistice Day Blizzard. This storm has been called the worst storm that this state has ever seen. Monday, November 11, 1940 started out as an unseasonably warm and beautiful late fall day. But, as the day wore on, temperatures began to fall. Changes occurred rapidly as a fast moving cold front rolled northwestward bringing with it the dangerous characteristics of a blizzard: high winds, falling temperatures, and heavy snow. The storm came as a surprise; women wore open-toed shoes to work, duck hunters wore light jackets. There was some talk of snow in some areas, but no one expected more than a few inches. As the weather became more ominous, schools and businesses began to close.

St. Cloud (Stearns History Museum)
The blizzard raged for three days and nights. 16 inches of snow fell in St. Cloud, and Collegeville recorded a whopping 26.6 inches! The St. Cloud Times recorded 12 foot drifts the next day. Many people were stranded for days before snowplows could open roads through the drifted over roads.

49 Minnesotans perished. A 13-year-old girl from Roscoe, Adella Osendorf, died while searching for her father in the farm yard. She was found frozen to death 150 feet from the barn. A farmer near Princeton, John Beto, went to look for his horses in the pasture. His frozen body was found leaning on a fence 80 rods from his house the next day. Many people died from exertion and exhaustion, from shoveling snow, trying to get through huge drifts, etc. 17 duck hunters froze to death when caught in the storm unprepared. Two trains collided in Watkins, resulting in two deaths. It is believed the crash occurred when one of the trains, failing to find its sidetrack in the storm, remained on the main line, contrary to orders.

St. Cloud (Stearns History Museum)
The real terror of the storm lay not in its severity but with the lack of warning in which it came. The weather forecasters of 1940 relied on practices considered primitive according to today standards. The upper atmosphere, the best indicator of oncoming weather systems, was measured by means of helium filled balloons that were sent up to a height of 100,000 feet with instruments capable of measuring wind velocity, temperature changes, and pressure. This data was radioed down to weather stations on the ground. Some weather bureaus also used aircraft to observe conditions. But as the air became turbulent, these methods became less effective and weather stations relied on reports relayed from other stations to issue reports of oncoming severe weather.

In a state where rapid climatic changes are commonplace and there are more days of life threatening weather per year than any other it is no surprise that second guessing the weatherman is a longstanding Minnesota custom. We Minnesotans know to never underestimate Mother Nature!

Thanks to Steve Penick and Sarah Warmka from the Stearns History Museum for their help with our series, This Date In Central Minnesota History on WJON.

After this event it transformed how roads were to be built in MN. Many were "flat' to the terrain. Notice today how they are 3-6' higher than the surrounding land? This is to limit the amount of drifting snow on the road bed.

Article of just is an hour west of the TC area:
http://www.herald-journal.com/archives/ ... /snow.html

1940 Armistice Day blizzard: a storm like no other
By Jane Otto
Herald Journal, Nov. 8, 2004

For most people who lived through the 1940 Armistice Day blizzard, it's a memory that hasn't faded with time.

That was a storm, I'll tell ya,' Winsted's Brian Cafferty said. The snow just kept getting heavier, heavier, and heavier, and blowing, blowing and blowing, until you didn't see anything.

The Minnesota State Climatology Office rated the Nov. 11, 1940 snowstorm as the No. 2 weather event of the 20th century. Only, the 1930s' dust bowl outranked it.

The storm took the lives of 49 Minnesotans, mainly duck hunters caught unaware by the deadly weather.

Nationwide, more than 150 people died in the windy, snowy assault that cut a 1,000-mile-long swatch through the country's middle.

An innocent beginning
Several people in the area, old enough to remember, recalled the day having a warm, rainy start.

Some areas of southeast Minnesota had topped 60 degrees, according to the state climatology office.

At that time, the 21-year-old Cafferty had a garage at Sherman Station, four miles west of Winsted. The garage stood next to the creamery, which Bertram Nelson ran. Both buildings are now gone.

Rain changed to snow later that morning. It was nice and wet and coming straight down, Cafferty said.

Cafferty spent much of the late morning pulling out cars getting stuck in the rapidly falling snow on their way to the creamery.

Some farmers brought their milk in horse-drawn wagons, but the horses found it too deep to plod through, Cafferty recalled.

That same morning Cafferty's younger brothers, Jimmy, Frankie, and Jerome left the Cafferty farm, which was on Falcon Avenue, 1 1/2 miles north of Sherman Station. The three boys were stranded en route to the dentist.

Not far from the creamery, the boys got their older brother to pull the car to his garage.

Temperatures dropped quickly, however, and the winds picked up that afternoon. For 24 hours, winds averaged 25 mph and gusted at more than 60 mph.

As the storm worsened, the four brothers huddled around the creamery stove for warmth. The wind was so strong it blew the curtains horizontal, Cafferty said.

Later that night, the window was gone and snow piled high inside.

The long crawl home
Concerned about milking the cows, Cafferty left the creamery at about 4:30 a.m., with Jimmy and Frankie.

We figured the cows weren't milked and we didn't know how long it had been since they were, Cafferty said. We had no phone then and you couldn't holler.

Only about 12 or 13 then, Jerome stayed with the Nelsons, who lived above the creamery.

Before bucking the blizzard, Cafferty recalled Nelson giving them rugs to block the wind.Nobody had heavy clothes. It was so warm that morning, Cafferty said.

The gusty winds and blowing snow became too much for Frankie. Pale and winded from the storm gale, Frankie almost died, Cafferty said.

Covering Frankie in the rugs, they waited until he could go on.

Frankie got his air back, Cafferty said, and the threesome continued their trek through that wild, white world. We just kept scratching and crawling, not knowing where we were going.

Cafferty couldn't recall how long the trip took, but the brothers made it home, only to learn younger brother Mark had milked the cows.

Jerome didn't return until two days later, after the winds died and the roads were somewhat passable.

Other stories
Not everyone in the area had as treacherous a 1940 Armistice Day as Cafferty.

For most people, it was like running outside for a snapshot and then quickly returning to cover.

Everybody that was home, stayed home, Don Gutzke of Howard Lake said.

Ten years old at the time, Gutzke lived in town. Most merchants lived above their businesses, with no need to travel to and from town.

When you think of how many people were home, there weren't many disasters, Gutzke said. It was really fortunate the town was so closely knit.

Living in town and being the local paper boy, Gutzke knew much of what went on in the then 10-square-block area. He knew Doc Meintsma, the town dentist, only made it half-way home that Nov. 11.

Meinstma lived on 13th Avenue, the town's western edge. He never drove, Gutzke said. He'd walk to work, walk home for lunch, and back again.

Heading home during the height of the storm, Meinstma was forced to stop at Hank Gruenhagen, Gutzke said. He just waited too long.

Just 24 at the time, Verna Glessing also lived and worked in town. She recalled going to work that morning in warm, wet weather that quickly turned foul.

She worked at the bank her father owned. At that time, it stood where the Posey Patch is now.

We opened the bank, but nobody came in, she said. It was very deep snow to walk in.

Closer to Winsted, Ed Fasching, then 14, recalled his family raising pullets for laying hens. Due to the warm fall that year, the Faschings hadn't prepared the brooding house for winter yet.

The next morning, we found them hanging upside down frozen, with their feet still stuck to the limbs, Fasching said.

Two to three weeks later, Fasching found about a dozen of his neighbor's turkeys, still alive, huddled under a snow bank.

Fasching couldnt remember another storm like it.

Those who had electricity then, didn't have it for up to a week.

For three days, no mail and no trains came.

By Wednesday, snowplows attempted moving 8-foot high drifts of heavy, wet snow, but needed men shoveling to aid their progress.

Howard Lake's Don and Dorothy Mitchell well remember those snow drifts. The newly married couple had just moved to the white house opposite the county fairgrounds.

They stayed put during the storm's wrath, but ventured outside the next day, Don Mitchell said. I remember taking a walk the next day. The only way to get around was to walk. The drifts were too big.

They turned the corner onto Highway 12 and saw a snow-clogged east-west artery.

The couple walked on and then up a massive snow bank to be face-to-face with the street light that was strung across the intersection.

We were as high as the top floor of the old Custer Hotel, Don Mitchell said.

Mitchell, as well as the others, said the 1940 blizzard was like no other, whether it was the sudden turn of events, the snowplows used then, or no TVs to forewarn folks.

Fasching and Glessing remembered a 1941 St. Patrick Day storm, and of course, the 1991 Halloween blizzard, which the state climatologist ranks as the No. 3 Minnesota weather event.

I can remember back to the 1930s and that was the worst one, Mitchell said of the Armistice Day storm. Nobody ventured out. They just sat home by the fire

The following is an excerpt about the storm from Gordon MacQuarrie: The Story of an Old Duck Hunter:

On November 11, 1940, MacQuarrie was sent to cover a story straddling
the line between straight news and the outdoor page. It became
one of his most famous works as a hardcore newsman, and it is still
occasionally reprinted on the anniversary of the event. That day a storm
swept through the Upper Midwest the likes of which hadn’t been seen
since 1919.

People who were there for the great Armistice Day Storm
still talk about it and remember it as though it had happened yesterday.
What made the story worthy of MacQuarrie’s attention? More than
thirty duck hunters died that day on the Mississippi River bottoms be-
tween Red Wing, Minnesota, and La Crosse, Wisconsin. The exact death
toll may never be known, because some of the bodies of the presumed
dead were never recovered. Empty duck skiffs and orphaned hunting
dogs were the only witnesses to their owners’ fate.

Winona, Minnesota, was ground zero for the story, and MacQuarrie
was there before the fury had subsided. Together with Gordon Closway
of the Winona Republican-Herald, he stayed up through the night writing
the story, which continued to unfold as the night wore on. What began
as just another unseasonably mild fall day quickly disintegrated into a
mad, mortal dash for the hundreds of hunters hidden in the river bottoms
awaiting the Grand Passage of birds from the north.

In Winona, that Monday, November 11, started out slightly overcast,
with a few sprinkles and temperatures in the mid-30s. Many duck
hunters took advantage of the mild weather and the holiday, heading out
into the backwater sloughs of the mighty Mississippi for one more crack
at the ducks—ducks, by the way, which had been nearly absent earlier
in the season. But by 10:00 A.M. the weather turned. It started with an
almost unnoticeable westward shift in the wind. An hour later the gusty
wind had turned ferocious, and the temperature plummeted.

The ducks did come on the leading edge of the front, but the hunters
soon lost interest in the waves of mallards, bluebills, and canvasbacks.
By noon the wind was approaching forty miles per hour and still rising.
The hunters began a wild exodus toward safety, but many small boats
swamped or capsized in the unrelenting face of the wind and ice. Many
motors would not turn, and hunters were left stranded on marshy islands
in the river. The wind peaked at sixty miles per hour as the temperature
continued to spiral downward. Before daylight the next morning it was
six below zero, and rescuers had already begun the grisly task of
retrieving the dead and dying.

The report from MacQuarrie and Closway was grim and graphic:
“The ducks came and men died. They died underneath upturned skiffs
as the blast sought them out on boggy, unprotected islands. They died
trying to light fires and jumping and sparring to keep warm. They died
sitting in skiffs. They died standing in river water to their hips, awaiting help."

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:55 am

Musher had posted this up a few years back

http://www.wingsoveralma.org/bylanderaccount.html

DEATH ON THE MISSISSIPPI
By C. B. Bylander
Goodview, Minnesota

Excerpted From All Hell Broke Loose by William A Hull, MA
Stratton Publication Services, Edina, Minnesota, 1983

He was 24 that year, that year when the ducks came and men died, and like most hunters trapped in the deadly Armistice Day storm, he left home wearing only a canvas coat. It was shirt sleeve weather. 50 degrees. Few had given a second thought to cold weather gear. But few could have imagined the deadly nightmare that would besiege the Upper Midwest that day.

For sure, Oscar Gerth had no idea of what would happen to him chopping up two dozen handmade cedar decoys and burning them to stay alive, the long hours of peering into a smoky fire of dim hope, afraid to walk more than 15 steps in any one direction for fear of becoming lost. No, no one could have imagined the tragedy that befell duck hunters on November 11, 1940. No one at all.

The storm was extraordinary in its intensity and suddenness. This one, the one that baited hunters with a drizzling dawn and beckoning warmth, was rooted far to the north and west. A low pressure system had whistled across the Pacific Northwest, steamed south towards Colorado and took a brief breather over the Texas panhandle, where it sucked in moisture from the balmy Gulf of Mexico. From there it turned north, drenching Kansas with an inch of rain and it ominously eyed the Upper Midwest. The second system, cold and nasty, had swung down from the North Pole, late on the morning of November 11th they collided over the Mississippi River. That, old-timers say, is when all hell broke loose.

At first hunters welcomed the southwest's gusting winds and chill. On those winds was the promise of ducks. Let 'er rip, they said. But before long the Mississippi River was a swirling tide of navigable whitecaps. BB-size snow began pounding flesh winds howled like sirens, temperatures would soon plummet to 9 degrees.

Mr. Gerth of Winona, 74, didnt forget. Not even if he wanted to. With each sentence he paints a vivid picture of the storm that killed some 161 people, 20 of them hunters between Red Wing, Minnesota and Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin. Gerth is telling how not far from the blind in which he was unloading a man died standing in the water, the thickening ice slowly entombing him, a hand clutching a willow branch. That image causes Gerth to pause in midsentence. He cocks his head the way people do when they are lost in thought, and after several moments of reflecting, he continues.

Anyone who went out that day, fell in the water or got wet somehow, they were done. Hardly anyone could have survived that. The only thing that saved us is that we kept our clothing dry. The cold was bad enough but the wind was something else. It froze so hard that night that the next morning we walked over little ponds, one man in single file right behind the other.

Gerth is among a dwindling legion of hunters who lived through what some say is the worst hunting disaster in U.S. history. He's the kind of man who in a different day might have occasionally told his tales while sitting near the general store's pot-bellied stove, his feet resting on a keg of nails. Today, finding men like Gerth is a hunt in itself.

Drinking coffee in a Wabasha resort is Willis Kruger, 77. He was a game warden here for some 30 years. Nowadays most mornings he can be found at the Wapasha Resort sipping coffee with the boys, a group of retired men who always know where the fish bite and ducks fly.

Of all of Kruger's stories, two tend to make him shudder. One is the time he was attacked while trying to make an arrest. In the nick of time he stuck a gun in a man's nose. The second is the Armistice Day storm. Five men died in the area he patrolled. We tried to rescue people that night but we didn't have a boat big enough to handle those waves. Everyone knew there were men trapped out there and everyone knew some wouldn't make it through the night.

Ted Beaty, 73 of Wabasha, was 29 the day he walked along a small slough at Robinson Lake near Wabasha. By 4pm he knew that no duck in the world was worth another minute crouched in a blind. On my way back I stopped to pick up a man who had rowed across the lake in a little duck boat. He was just wearing a shell vest and no cap he was just about a goner. He had sat down and fallen asleep. I took off my parka and put it around him. That kind of helped. It was a long hike, the two of us together, and I didn't get home 'til pret near 9 o'clock. The doctor said he would have froze to death if someone wouldn't have helped him.

There were many heroes and losers in the game of life that day. Among rescue volunteers was Max Conrad, a Winonan already nationally known for his long-distance flying adventures. At dawn on November 12th he eased his Piper Cub into a 50-mph headwind and spent the rest of the day guiding rescue parties to stranded hunters. To some he dropped food, whiskey and cigarettes. To many he was the sign of hope they had been waiting for.

I remember him flying over us, Gerth recalled. I can't image how he managed to fly so low. He was just above the group trying to look under tipped over boats to see if anyone was underneath them.

The luck hunters, men like Ted Bambenek of Winona, didn't have to worry about burrowing under a boat for protection. 22 then, he was among 17 hunters stranded on an island in Straight Slough. Together they had the strength and resources to build a blazing fire.

We took turns going out and fetching wood that night, Bambenek explained. For the most part we just stared at the fire and wondered what the people in town were wondering. Come morning, when we were able to make it to shore, someone brought a bottle of whiskey to us. We were all supposed to get a drink but I didn't. The bottle never made it that far. I think it was dry before it was halfway around.

The storm was big news across the country and many newspapers dispatched reporters to Mississippi river towns. The Milwaukee Journal sent Gordon MacQuarrie to Winona, and in the prose of the times he wove a compelling tale of heroism and tragedy.

Over in Winona General Hospital tonight lies Gerald Tarras, 17 a survivor. He is a big boy, nearly 6 feet, and strong. He had to be to live. He saw his father, a brother and his friend die. He has not yet come to a full realization of what has happened, for grief is sometimes far in the wake of catastrophe, he wrote.

Casualties ran so high, in part, because the shooting was so good. Mallards were everywhere, though had to hit because of the ferocious wind. Winonan Ed Kosidowski, now 70, remembers what it was like.

The ducks were all over so we just stood there and shot 'em. We had warm clothes extra socks and all, so we kept firing away. Oh, it was a terrible night. We didn't make it to shore until about 10 o'clock. But that shooting, oh that shooting, you couldn't imagine it.

No one knows exactly how many hunters died along the Mississippi river that day. Their deaths were lumped together with all the others, like the people who died stranded in their cars on the streets of Minneapolis and St. Paul, and the sailors who drowned in Lake Michigan. But some say that perhaps as many as 80 men died in their blinds or boats.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Re: The Great Armistice Day Blizzard of 1940, 49 duck hunters in MN perished

Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:27 am

http://www.startribune.com/gallery-armi ... 4802482/#1

Anderson: During Armistice Day Blizzard of 1940, it 'seemed too nice to hunt'
The snow came first, beginning in early afternoon, with big flakes covering the ground. The wind — up to 80 miles an hour — and precipitous temperature drops of as much as 50 degrees followed.
November 11, 2015 — 8:25am

"Rescue workers carried out the body of one of three St. Paul hunters who had taken a boat onto North Lake near Red Wing, Minn."
http://stmedia.startribune.com/images/2 ... zz.gal.jpg

Gallery: 1/13
There was large loss of life in part because the storm came early in the season and occurred on a holiday immediately following a weekend. Many hunters were caught away from adequate shelter throughout the state. Shown here are two of many duck hunters and others who died.

DENNIS ANDERSON Dennis Anderson @stribdennis

School was held that day in La Crosse, Wis., but only in the morning. No classes were taught. Instead, students attended a program highlighting the sacrifices veterans had made for their country. Then the kids were dismissed. It was, after all, a national holiday, Armistice Day.

This was in 1940, and matters were unsettled, worldwide. Officially, the U.S. was on the sidelines of gathering war clouds in Europe. Americans were long tired of conflict and of the remnants of the Great Depression. Yet the country could feel itself being dragged into war, dark and foreboding, and its prospects cast a pall over everything.

In La Crosse, Dick Bice, 16, and his pal La Vern Rieber, 18, drove from school to their homes and then to Brice Prairie, Wis., deciding to look for ducks on Lake Onalaska on the Mississippi River. At 4 miles wide, the “lake” is the widest spot in the big river, and though the weather was mild, with scant winds, the boys set out with anticipation, wooden decoys piled in their narrow skiff.

Meanwhile, Bice’s brother Jim, 17, also a duck hunter, stayed home. “The weather seemed too nice to hunt,” he recalled Monday.

Now 92 and still living in La Crosse, Jim Bice remembers Nov. 11, 1940, like it was yesterday.

“It didn’t start out like a duck hunting day,” he said.

In fact, that entire fall had been extraordinarily warm, with October and early November temperatures well above average.

Consequently, Mississippi River duck hunters hadn’t had much good shooting.

The big migration, they believed, was yet to come.

• • •

The boat Dick Bice and La Vern Rieber paddled onto the Mississippi was a homemade job, as most river hunting skiffs were at the time. With a flat plywood bottom and low freeboard, it could hold two hunters, maybe three. On this day, Rieber’s retrieving dog also was along.

Duck hunting was good sport back then. Minnesota had about 120,000 duck hunters in 1940 (out of a population of 2.79 million), compared with 80,000 today (out of 5.5 million residents). The duck harvest was much larger, too: 1.6 million in 1940, compared with 650,000 today.

Because Armistice Day — now Veterans Day — fell on a Monday in 1940, the Mississippi saw a high turnout of waterfowlers that day. With a rumored weather change pending, hunters believed the long-awaited migration might begin in earnest.

So it was that near Red Wing and Wabasha, and farther south to the Weaver Bottoms and to Winona and Lake Onalaska farther south still, hunters by the score paddled and in some cases motored into the river’s currents toward its backwaters.

Justifiably, they had high hopes. After a string of seasons only 45 days long, waterfowlers in 1940 were allowed 60 days in the field.

Shooting hours also were liberalized. Previously allowed only from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m., shooting in 1940 could begin instead at sunrise. And while the daily duck limit remained unchanged at 10, a new rule in 1940 allowed hunters to possess double their daily limits for up to 20 days after the season’s close, rather than 10 days, as was previously the case.

• • •

The snow came first, beginning in early afternoon, with big flakes covering the ground. The wind — up to 80 miles an hour — and precipitous temperature drops of as much as 50 degrees followed thereafter.

Weather forecasting and communication 75 years ago weren’t what they are today, and by the time the ferocity and breadth — up to 1,000 miles wide — of the storm were realized, the fates of about 150 people were sealed.

Duck hunters on the Mississippi were particularly at risk. Most had dressed only for the fairest weather, with light jackets and pants.

Most also — at first — were delighted that the weather brought with it huge influxes of ducks. Mallards that typically circled and circled before landing instead dropped fearlessly into decoys. Divers — canvasbacks, bluebills, redheads — also materialized in droves from the maelstrom.

At first, Bice and Rieber relished the good shooting. But matters turned worse when Rieber, in the skiff, chased a downed duck and couldn’t paddle back to Bice. Instead he took refuge on a small, windswept island.

Seeing Rieber stranded, but unable to rescue him, a group of passing hunters gave him a tarp. Huddling beneath it, and beneath the skiff, alternately standing and sitting, he stayed awake all night.

Bice, meanwhile, continually ran in circles, with brief intermissions. He also huddled with Rieber’s dog.

• • •

Jim Bice on what happened after Dick and La Vern didn’t return home the night of Nov. 11:

“My dad and I, and La Vern’s dad, drove to the landing where Dick and La Vern launched their boat. We found their car. But there was no sign of them.

“All night we stayed right there, in our cars, running the engines to keep the heaters on.

“On an island in the river, we could see a campfire, and we could see men walking in front of the fire. That was Dick and La Vern, we figured.

“The next morning, the lake had frozen over, and we saw the two fellas get into their boat, and the wind blew the boat to our side. As they approached, we expected to see our boys. Instead, they were two guys we didn’t know.

“They told us they had heard shooting upriver of where they were.

“We waited hours until the ice got thicker, and when it did, my dad and the other men walked upriver until they found Dick and La Vern.

“La Vern had the skiff, which he used for shelter, and Dick had the dog. We got them to shore and to a hospital. They both checked out all right.”

Richard “Dick” Bice died in 2003.

La Vern Rieber died in 2011.

Said Jim Bice: “At 92, I’m the only one left. I don’t think too many of us who were on the river that day, Armistice Day, are still around.”

Four searchers pulled away from a rescue launch in a smaller boat to comb Mississippi River bottomlands on Nov. 13, 1940 -- dangerous and icy work.

-----

Armistice Day Blizzard: No truces from this storm

St. Peter’s snow-covered streets were void of traffic following the Armistice Day blizzard. Wednesday is the anniversary of the 1940 storm. http://www.mankatofreepress.com/news/lo ... ge&photo=0

Posted: Monday, November 9, 2015 12:30 am
By Edie Schmierbach Free Press Staff Writer

Seventy five years ago Wednesday, Mankato residents were planning a giant parade on what started out as a balmy day. Then the temperature rapidly dropped and strong winds began to blow — a mix that formed a killer snowstorm throughout the Midwest.

The town’s focus on Nov. 11, 1940, moved from celebration to winter survival.

“You literally had a 40-degree temperature drop in six to eight hours, and that’s almost unheard of,” meteorologist Paul Douglas said. “People headed out in light jackets because the temperatures were in the 50s and 60s in the morning, and then a few hours later, it was in the 20s or 30s with gale-force winds and blinding snow.”

A total of 154 deaths was blamed on the storm, which cut a 1,000-mile-wide path through the Midwest. Sixty-six sailors died in Lake Michigan after three freighters and two smaller boats sank. Two people died when two trains collided in the blinding snow in Watkins.

Forty-nine people in Minnesota died in the storm. Half the Minnesotans who died were duck hunters.

Stanley F. Bachman, 86, was a teenager back then. “I was hunting with my dad near Cleveland.”

Bachman and his father were separated in the storm for about three hours. After they were reunited, they joined several other hunters who had found shelter at Ward and Francis Kluntz’s farm near Lake Jefferson.

“It was one of those times you never forget,” said Bachman of Bloomington.

“There were about 10 other hunters there,” he said. “We helped the farmer round up his chickens in the afternoon — that was cold work. In the evening, we helped milk cows.”

One of the storm refugees was a cook at St. Peter state hospital. “He took over the kitchen. We made hunter’s stew using rabbits, squirrels and ducks,” Bachman said.

Bachman’s never spent much time worrying about the weather. “It doesn’t bother me. It couldn’t be as bad as back then.

“My plans today are not related to the storm,” the Coast Guard veteran said in a 2010 interview. Bachman's schedule included singing patriotic songs during two choral performances.

His story is one of several featured in the book “All Hell Broke Loose: Experiences of Young People During the Armistice Day 1940 Blizzard.” William Hull collected more than 500 blizzard tales — 167 were published by Stanton Publication Services in 1985.

A teacher and her students were stranded in their one-room school near Marysburg; the Double Dip cafe in Mankato provided shelter to stranded travelers; and trains, buses and countless vehicles had to be released from drifts several feet high.

Records show that 27 inches of snow fell at Collegeville in central Minnesota. Drifts closed many highways, and many motorists left their stranded autos and froze to death before they could reach safety. About 250 St. Paul streetcars were marooned on their tracks overnight.

Patricia Rynda wrote about being a child at the time of the blizzard. It’s not the snow, but flames that first come to her mind. Her family lived a few blocks from the Westerman Lumber Co. in Montgomery, which burned to the ground Nov. 12, 1940. She remembers watching firemen struggling against the bitter cold of the storm and the fire’s heat.

Rynda remains a Minnesota resident but said she’s never learned to love winter. “I like to go south to Texas,” she said.

Douglas said the storm led to major changes in weather forecasting in the Midwest. At the time of the blizzard, the National Weather Bureau in Chicago prepared the weather forecast. After the storm, it was decided “on the spot, that, yes, the Twin Cities deserves its own local office,” he said.

Douglas, who is the CEO of Weather Nation, a company that outsources video segments to news clients, said the historic storm was remarkably intense and sudden.

“Meteorologists call it a ‘bomb,’ which means the air pressure fell at least 24 millibars in 24 hours,” he said. “Those winds can reach 40, 50, 60 miles an hour. It’s close to hurricane-force. Thankfully, they’re rare. Something like that whips up maybe once every 20 to 30 years.”

This story, first published in 2010 on the 70th anniversary of the blizzard, contains information from The Associated Press.

-----

75 years later, deadly blizzard still remembered

Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2015 6:15 pm | Updated: 7:42 pm, Tue Nov 10, 2015.
By WILLIAM MORRIS wmorris@owatonna.com

On the rural Ellendale farm where Gail Smith grew up, the barn was only 150 feet away from the house, an easy trip he made several times a day. But when he finished his afternoon chores on Nov. 11, 1940, and set out for home, he found the going a little harder than usual.

“As soon as I came out the north barn door, the wind took my breath away,” he wrote, and it’s not a figure of speech. “The wind blew across my lips so fast it created suction in my mouth so I couldn’t breathe. I had to turn my head away from the wind.”

Assailed not just by gale-force winds but by driving snow and sleet and gathering darkness, 13-year-old Gail set out for home, but was focused so heavily on keeping his breath that he soon found himself off the path.

“Suddenly I realized I should be at the house by now,” he wrote. “I looked around and couldn’t see a thing. It was very dark, [and] snow was coming down like crazy and was being whipped by the wind to form a complete white out condition. I couldn’t even see the lights in the house.”

Gail was fortunate. After a few terrifying seconds, he stumbled across the farm outhouse, where he was able to shelter and catch his breath before making it back to the house and safety. But across Minnesota and the Midwest, almost 150 others weren’t so lucky.

University of Minnesota professor and climatologist Mark Seeley calls that storm, the Armistice Day Blizzard of 1940, a “bookmark” event, one that left an immeasurable impact on everyone who survived it. The storm dropped 16.8 inches of snow on the Twin Cities, a record that stood for more than 40 years, and as much as 27 inches in other areas. Temperatures dropped by as much as 50 degrees over the course of a day, and winds as high as 60 mph flattened utility and phone lines.

Even worse, from the perspective of residents, was the lack of warning. As late as the morning of the 11th, the forecast out of Chicago was still calling just for a moderate cold wave.

“They did a horrible job,” Seeley said. “I don’t know all the reasons behind it but they completely missed the forecast, and over the period of about 10 in the morning … until midnight that night … the blizzard peaked in Minnesota, depositing anywhere from a foot to two feet of snow.”

For many Minnesotans, the combination was lethal. Forty-nine deaths around the state were blamed on the storm, with a particularly heavy toll among duck hunters who were trapped along the Mississippi River with no shelter and inadequate clothing. Three Steele County residents were among the missing, according to the Nov. 12 issue of The Daily People’s Press: rural schoolteachers Ve Loris Heger and Francis Robertson, and taxi driver Russell Anderson, who was dispatched at 3:30 p.m. on the 11th to bring them to safety.

The storm, which also killed 66 sailors on Lake Michigan and dozens more in other states for a total of 145, was part of the same weather system that caused the collapse of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge four days earlier in Washington state.

“[There was] just huge disruption.” Seeley said. “… Many thousands and thousands of people were stranded where they didn’t want to be, at work or at school or in trains or in bus terminals … it was just total chaos.”

In a collection of stories about rural Steele County schools published in 1979 by the Steele County Historical Society, several teachers wrote about their memories of that particular storm. Laurietta McNearney of Blooming Prairie remembered watching with her students as rain turned to snow and how she began preparing for her and 11 students all to stay overnight in the schoolhouse. Only when two drivers managed to reach the school in their cars did they dare risk leaving their shelter to try to make it home.

“We crawled along a few feet at a time, stopping many times until the wind died down enough to allow us to see a few weeds, our only means of knowing we were still on the road,” she wrote. “After crawling along at this slow pace, we deposited our load of children on their driveways and finally made it to the highway. Visibility was better there, but we found all the telephone poles and wires were down on half of the road, making it necessary to drive into a driveway until an oncoming car had passed. … Ordinarily, the trip would have taken 15 minutes, but on this day an hour was spent. We were most grateful to have made it safely home.”

Magdalen Seykora of Owatonna remembered that the fall of 1940 was unusually warm and beautiful, but on Armistice Day, all of that changed, as she remained stranded in her rural school after all the children were picked up.

“Now I was alone in this cold and dark school room with only the howling winds and broken branches, wires and sharp sleet hitting the sides of the building for company,” she wrote. “Every so often I would open the door just enough to see if anyone was coming for me. Drifts were building up and the sky was very dark.”

Seykora’s husband and brother-in-law finally arrived at 2:30 p.m. and were able to escort her out, taking her plants, perishable food and goldfish with them. But the car was blown off the road, quite literally, by the fierce storm, she wrote, and they were forced to seek shelter at a nearby home.

“I shall never forget that night in the Kaplan home,” she wrote. “We were all huddled around the kitchen stove, eating popcorn and listening to the battery radio which gave a continuous relay of messages from schools to parents that their children were safe either in the school or someone’s home ... In my 33 years of teaching, I had many heart-warming, earth-shaking, humorous and sad experiences, but the Armistice Day storm of 1940 was the one I and many of my former pupils never shall forget.”

Seeley said the Armistice Day Blizzard, along with a blizzard in March of 1941 that killed 32 and again drew no warning from the National Weather Service, prompted major changes in the way weather was predicted, including staffing weather offices 24 hours a day and launching the predecessor to the modern National Weather Service bureau in Chanhassen.

“As a result of that, later in 1941, the weather service authorized a forecast place in the Twin Cities, so Minnesota could forecast for ourselves and not just abide by the Chicago forecast,” he said.

As for Smith, who wrote up his recollections of the blizzard about the year 2000 in a booklet aptly titled, “The Day ‘All Hell Broke Loose,’” he went on to graduate from Mankato State University and work for the Navy and NASA, where he helped design early satellites and components for the Space Shuttle. Now 88 and living in Maryland, he said the near-death experience has stuck with him even 75 years later.

“It was just something that we suffered through,” he said. “I just remember this because it was so dangerous to our family and our livestock.”

Seeley said for Minnesotans of Smith’s generation, that’s only to be expected.

“There’s others that are landmark events, but the Armistice Day Blizzard in 1940 is certainly I would say one of the five worst in Minnesota history,” he said. “[It was] probably the most memorable weather event of their lives for the people who lived through that Armistice Day Blizzard.”

William Morris is a reporter for the Owatonna People’s Press.

------

From the archives: Two survivors remember Armistice Day Blizzard that killed 49
By Mary Divine
mdivine@pioneerpress.com
Posted: 11/11/2010 12:01:00 AM CST | Updated: 81 min. ago

Editor's note: This story was reported and written in 2010.

Norman Roloff and his best friend, Sonny Ehlers, used to get together every Armistice Day and toast their good fortune. They weren't, after all, dead.

On the afternoon of Nov. 11, 1940, the men were 19-year-olds, hunting ducks in the backwaters of the Mississippi River near Winona, Minn., when the winds began to change.

"It was so warm, I took my hunting jacket off," Roloff said. "I didn't need it. I didn't need gloves. The high was probably in the 50s or 60s."

By early afternoon, Roloff said, the skies had turned cloudy and misty.

"Then it began to rain, and the wind picked up, and we just had fabulous shooting," he said.
"We're lucky we all survived. It blew in so fast," said 82-year-old Audrey Lemm, remembering the suddenness of the Armistice Day Blizzard 70 years ago, at her home in White Bear Lake on Wednesday November 3, 2010. (Pioneer Press: Richard Marshall)

The ducks -- thousands of them -- were on the move, Roloff said.

"The ducks just kept coming," he said. "It was fabulous. Everybody around there ... you could hear the shooting everywhere."

The ducks might have had an inkling of what was in store, but the hunters didn't have a clue, Roloff said.

The rain turned to sleet. The sleet turned to snow. And kept coming. The result came to be known as the Armistice Day Blizzard of 1940.

Forty-nine people in Minnesota died in the storm. Seventy years later, for the people who survived and for the people who study it, the unforgettable event changed lives -- in ways small and large.

Audrey Lemm, 82, of White Bear Lake survived the storm. The lessons learned stuck with her. Before her daughters left the house in the winter, they were always told: "Bring your mittens. Bring your hats. Bring your coats.

"They would say, 'Oh, yeah, oh yeah,' but I always felt it was better to be safe than sorry," she said. "You don't want to get caught and not have gloves or mittens or anything like that."

Meterologist Paul Douglas said the storm led to major changes in weather forecasting in the Midwest. At the time of the blizzard, the National Weather Bureau in Chicago prepared the weather forecast.

After the storm, it was decided "on the spot, that, yes, the Twin Cities deserves its own local office," he said. "There's no substitute for living in the place that you're trying to forecast for."

Of the survivors, Roloff and Ehlers were among the most at risk. Half the Minnesotans who died were duck hunters.

Roloff, 89, and Ehlers, who died last year, met each year on Nov. 11 until the 1980s to "raise the glass" to celebrate their survival, Roloff said last week during an interview at his condominium in Bloomington. After that, they would call each other on the anniversary and reminisce.

Now, Roloff is left to remember on his own.

"There're not that many of us left," Roloff said. "But it was something you remember a long time.

Douglas, who is the CEO of Weather Nation, a company that outsources video segments to local and national news clients, said the historic storm was remarkably intense and sudden.

"Meteorologists call it a 'bomb,' which means the air pressure fell at least 24 millibars in 24 hours," he said. "Those winds can reach 40, 50, 60 miles an hour. It's close to hurricane-force. Thankfully, they're rare. Something like that whips up maybe once every 20 to 30 years."

A total of 154 deaths were blamed on the storm, which cut a 1,000-mile-wide path through the Midwest. Sixty-six sailors died in Lake Michigan after three freighters and two smaller boats sank. Two people died when two trains collided in the blinding snow in Watkins, Minn. Records show that 27 inches of snow fell at Collegeville, Minn. Drifts closed many highways, and many motorists left their stranded autos and froze to death before they could reach safety. About 250 St. Paul streetcars were marooned on their tracks overnight. A woman in New Brighton scrambled 14 dozen eggs to feed travelers stranded at her house.

The rapid drop in temperature and the strong winds combined to form a fatal mix, Douglas said.

"You literally had a 40-degree temperature drop in six to eight hours, and that's almost unheard of," he said. "People headed out in light jackets because the temperatures were in the 50s and 60s in the morning, and then a few hours later, it was in the 20s or 30s with gale-force winds and blinding snow."

Roloff, a retired grain trader who worked at the Minneapolis Grain Exchange, said he and Ehlers were lucky to have survived. Many of their friends and relatives did not.

"We had a friend from school, Gerald Tarras ... they found him the next morning," Roloff said. "His brother froze, his dad froze and his uncle froze. He survived only because they hunted with a pair of big Labrador dogs, and they laid alongside of him."

'WE'RE GOING TO BE DEAD'

The lumber company in Winona where Roloff worked as a bookkeeper was closed on Armistice Day for the holiday; Ehlers worked in the pharmacy department of a drug store and didn't get off until mid-morning.

As soon as Ehlers got off work, he picked up Roloff in his 1934 Chevrolet and the two men drove to a spot near Reads Landing, just north of Wabasha, where they stored a small skiff.

"You know, up until that point," Roloff said, "it had been a warm fall, and we weren't shooting all that many ducks all fall -- and then, all of a sudden, we had this bountiful harvest, and it was just going great. They were flying low, too. You couldn't miss."

After getting their limit -- 10 ducks a day back then -- they quickly wanted to find a way home.

"The snow had started to drive, and then it began to get dark, and we knew that we had better get going because we still had this body of water to cross," Roloff said. "But it took us 35 to 40 minutes to get back to this slough, and by that time, it was really starting to blow."

Roloff said he will never forget what Ehlers told him: "He said, 'Norm, we've got to make it. There's no alternative, or we're going to be dead,' " he said. "We knew that if we didn't get out, we didn't have enough clothes to survive. Frankly, neither one of us smoked at that time, so we never even had matches with us."

The men decided to drag their skiff down to an area of the slough where there was a large timber stand. They'd have a better chance of crossing the water, they figured, if they were protected from the wind by trees.

"The waves were about 2 to 3 feet high," he said. "We started out, and we got probably about six to eight feet out, but the water would bring us back, so we left our ducks and left our decoys -- but we had some twine, so we tied our shotguns to the boat. We figured if the boat went over, we wouldn't lose our guns."

The men slipped their hip boots down to around their heels, Roloff said. In case the boat went under, they wanted their boots to be pulled off their feet rather than fill with water and turn into deadly anchors.

Each man took an oar, and they knelt in the shallow boat to paddle across the slough.

"We didn't have anything to bail out the water, and by the time we got to the other side, over half the boat was filled with water," Roloff said. "Then we had to walk about 1 1/2 miles to get to the car. The car started, but we were cold, very cold."

The men stopped at a bar on the outskirts of Winona on their way home.

"We had to get some alcohol to thaw us out," Roloff said.

The next day, a lumber company executive asked Roloff to help him search for three employees who had gone duck hunting and hadn't returned. Two of the employees were found alive; the third froze to death.

"I think I recognized then that we were pretty lucky to come home," Roloff said. "They used the Winona city garage as a mortuary. They would bring the frozen bodies there to thaw."

A 'FRANTIC' STORM

Lemm was traveling back to St. Paul with her family from St. Charles, Minn., after a long weekend at her maternal grandparents' house.

Lemm, who was 12 at the time, said neither she nor her parents and three siblings were dressed for blizzard conditions.

"I was wearing a skirt and a sweater," she said. "No girls wore pants back then."

The snow started falling in Eyota, she said. By the time the family drove onto the Spiral Bridge in Hastings, the sky was black and the winds were howling, she said.

"It had wooden railings," she said. "I kept my eyes closed as we went over."

Their 1937 Plymouth sedan broke down near Battle Creek Park -- "that was when the blizzard was just about as frantic as it could be," she said. Her father, Elmer Hegland, who had lost his left leg in the trenches of France during World War I, couldn't get out to push, she said.

"We didn't have a blanket, and my mother never brought water or food on all the trips we made down there," she said.

Lemm's father flagged down another driver, who gave Audrey and her mother, Elsie, and two younger siblings a ride to the house at 1078 McLean Ave.

"They could not turn onto our street, so we had to walk four houses up," Lemm said. "And then we had to crawl up 17 steps packed with snow. I can remember the blowing wind. Luckily, we had a railing, because the snow was so packed in."

When they finally got inside, it was stone cold.

We had cast-iron radiators, and the coal-fired furnace was out," she said. "We had to start a fire in the furnace, and it took a couple of hours before the radiators were even lukewarm," she said. "I can remember crying because it was so cold I didn't want to go to school the next day."

Meanwhile, her older brother Jerry, 13, had persuaded their father to let him walk to a nearby service station to get a tow truck. But when he got there, there was no truck available.

"Fortunately, they wouldn't let him leave," Lemm said. "My dad, by some miracle, he got the car started, and then he drove to the service station and picked my brother up, and then, a couple of hours later, he got home."

She learned a few days later that the father of one of her classmates wasn't so lucky -- he was one of the duck hunters who died in the blizzard.

The odds of a similar occurrence are "very low, but not zero," Douglas said. "The Halloween superstorm (of 1991) was a poignant reminder that even in spite of weather models and a better knowledge of meteorology compared to 1940, there are still times when we're going to get caught with our Dopplers down.

"This profession demands humility out of everybody who attempts to try it, so there will still be occasions where we are surprised," he said. "The Weather Service has certainly come a long way -- and with local media and private forecasters and literally scores of weather models, I think it would be much tougher to get caught like we did in 1940 -- but the probability is not zero."

Mary Divine can be reached at 651-228-5443.
Last edited by h2ofwlr on Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Doe Hunter
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:24 pm

We need another Great Armistice Day Blizzard story like we need another Ice Fishing Mobility story. I am over it!
get-n-birdy wrote:Remember, just because it's not legal doesn't mean you can't do it, there's just a fee if you get caught.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:50 pm

I like to be reminded of it...have read several books on the storm, not just about waterfowlers but sailors etc. Thanks fowler

9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:34 pm

It's a part of history that I enjoy reading about, very interesting articles, between this and the Edmond Fitzgerald, it never gets old.......
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:18 pm

bump.....
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”