lumbertick
Mergie Marauder

Re: What brand of equipment do you use? Why?

Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:19 am

Here's my rig when I'm parkin' birds
Crosman Pumpmaster w/4x scope .177 with and awesome barrel sticker
Country Hearth white bread
1974 Dodge tradesman van with the sliding door
Foiles SMH, and a newly added Crime Scene
Lotsa face paint
Black hoodie

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Kidding aside...

Benelli shotgun....simply because I can't wreck it
GHG, G&H, and Featherlite inflatable decoys, and the antiques that Bigdog brings with.
I am embarrased to say that I like to shoot Hevi-Steel...I know it's not any better than cheaper shells, but I have confidence in and that makes me shoot better.
Gander Guide series breathable waders...which don't fit me worth a turd.
C&S goose call, Primos whistle, Primos duck call
H&S?? face paint...I can't tolerate a net (psychological issues)
Red Man chew.

lt

get-n-birdy
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:19 pm

Benelli products, simply because I'm lazy. SBE I, It seems if you don't lube up the choke tube, it will weld itself in after a couple years of using the same choke and never removing it, what a piece of crap.

Decoys, whatever I can find on clearance or for sale used. But have found a GHG pro grade drake mallard, a hot buy and a Dakota floater goose decoy in the sloughs the last couple years, so I'll just keep my eyes open for free bee's. GHG, G&H, Herters, Flambeau, Bigfoots, etc. You know what they say about guys that use goose decoys with big feet.

1995 GMC 3/4 ton 6.5l suburban with 355,000 miles on it. Mileage sucks, but at least it's guttless.

Evinrude, Mercury and Johnson outboards from 6hp-225hp. Outboards are constant maintenance butt-ox pains no matter the make.

Boats lund, alumacraft, mirrocraft, carsten and old town.

Danner boots, period.

Coleman, Igloo and other coolers.Most lid hinges and latches are busted so we have to use rope to keep them shut.

Mallard Goldeneye 1977 camper.

Dickies jeans.

Gortex, great stuff. But it's expensive and only lasts a few years. Plus it doesn't keep you dry if you fall in. Be nice if it would.

Gloves, Jersey camo. They are cold and get wet but I don't cry when I loose them.

Waders, Cabelas dry plus. On clearance, love this product!

Federal HV 3" 2's, not much you can't kill with it.

Browning fleece, good product on clearance, again.

Just bought another skull camo cap from Me-nards on clearance for a $1.89.

Beverage of choice, Coke. Like Mtn Dew but it's to smooth, I could drink 16 dozen a day.

Moisturizing products, Redman.

Primus backpacking stove. Cooks up a mean tube steak in the boat.

Kelty sleeping bags.

Avery blind bag and non floating mud gun case, great couple products that have lasted torch-er tests for years.

Calls a XR-2, but use a free bee from DU the most, couldn't even tell you what it is.

Lanyard, one made from parachute cord.
DENNIS ANDERSON, Then, about five years ago, in 2020, there were no more ducks in the state,

Waterdawg
I'll Swat Your Decoys

Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:22 pm

Guns: Benelli Vinci and (too often) Rem 870 as the back-up. Still looking for a reliable semi-auto.
Ammo: Hevi-metal because I won a case in a wager. Otherwise, Black Cloud.
Waders: Cabelas Northern Flight. I thought the single strap was somewhat of a gimmick, but the deal was too good to pass on. Actually like them after 1 season of use.
Boats: Alumacraft 1436 with a Powell Performance Fab mud motor, Carstens Mallard and a 12-foot v-hull (manufacturer unknown).
Decoys: Predominantly Herters & G&H.
Coat: Brown camo of some sort (purchased so long ago I can't remember).
Accommodations: Shack on a lake in southern MN.

Jrp267
Mergie Marauder

Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:42 am

emptymag wrote:SBE II and M2 - they work all the time

GHG G&H Bigfoot - they work all the time

Scheels waders- they were on sale

C&S, Primos, Buck Gardner - they work better than I can use em

Trulock light mod or IMP CYL - patterns great

Federal red box/ estates - they shoot good and have round shot, made in MN too.

Alumacraft 16' mod v with a 27hp Backwater - it works for 2 guys i bought the boat with the intentions of putting a outbaord on it but low water 2 years ago changed my mind.
marsh day 1.JPG

How do you like that 27? Will it plane 3 guys a dog and gear?

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:31 pm

Not a particular brand buy, but here are a few that have impressed me over time:

1- My Pre-Berreta owned Franchi VS 612 Auto. The one I've got is 15+, can still find some used, will be getting another one or rebuilding this one, it is that good.

2- My big Maglite (aka "Big Stick"): lost it one year, couldn't find it... it had fallen under the camo material in the bottom of the duck boat.... boat flooded from winter, the light was frozen in until spring. When I pulled the boat out and started cleaning, found the Maglite covered in an ooze-y mess under 6 " of water. Wiped it off, turned it on, it worked like a champ

3- My Filson hats: comfort and EXCELLENT customer service, and things take an ass kicking like no other

4- All experience with Red Wing and LaCrosse~ I know some of this might have changed as happens with companies, but I've never had to think that a great return policy (i.e. Cabela's) was as valuable as things working, for decades.

PDUX
Coot Commander

Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:09 pm

lanyard wrote:Not a particular brand buy, but here are a few that have impressed me over time:

1- My Pre-Berreta owned Franchi VS 612 Auto. The one I've got is 15+, can still find some used, will be getting another one or rebuilding this one, it is that good.

Thinking the same thing. I love my 612VS and haven't had but 1 or 2 small issues in 10+ years!! People make fun of it but it kills ducks!!

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:02 pm

Jrp267 wrote:
emptymag wrote:SBE II and M2 - they work all the time

GHG G&H Bigfoot - they work all the time

Scheels waders- they were on sale

C&S, Primos, Buck Gardner - they work better than I can use em

Trulock light mod or IMP CYL - patterns great

Federal red box/ estates - they shoot good and have round shot, made in MN too.

Alumacraft 16' mod v with a 27hp Backwater - it works for 2 guys i bought the boat with the intentions of putting a outbaord on it but low water 2 years ago changed my mind.
marsh day 1.JPG

How do you like that 27? Will it plane 3 guys a dog and gear?

Not on a 16 foot all welded mod v. I'm sure on a different hull it would.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”