shnelson
Mergie Marauder

Scientists confirm second, more intense form of Lyme disease

Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:09 pm

A second bacteria, found in ticks in the Midwest, adds nausea, vomiting, double-vision, and a Dalmatian-like rash to already-known symptoms of Lyme disease.

http://www.upi.com/Health_News/2016/02/ ... 455022442/

shnelson
Mergie Marauder

Re: Scientists confirm second, more intense form of Lyme disease

Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:11 pm

Every year I feel like the deer tick hatch doubles around my house.

I think it's time to invest in a fleet of guinea hens, unless someone has a better solution - Chemical warfare preferred.

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:52 pm

Guineas or regular old chickens

Maybe the DNR needs to nuke the deer herd and do some serious prescribed burns to keep us safe!

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:32 am

Tick eating birds seems to be the way to go. Chickens, Guineas, or plain old birds should do the trick.

Lack of birds? Try S3
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:51 am

Sawyers Permethrin

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:48 am

greatwhitehunter3! wrote:Sawyers Permethrin

Stuff works.... some people complain about the chemical content and being applied to the human body but I'd rather have the exposure to chemicals than lymes...

They're even pre-treating clothes with permethrin now

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:26 pm

Mallard_maniac wrote:
greatwhitehunter3! wrote:Sawyers Permethrin

Stuff works.... some people complain about the chemical content and being applied to the human body but I'd rather have the exposure to chemicals than lymes...

They're even pre-treating clothes with permethrin now

Nice thing is you can get it just about anywhere. I'd have to look at the label but I'm pretty sure it says do not treat bare skin. I always hang my stuff on a clothes line and spray down and then let it sit for a couple hours before wearing. I would definitely agree about possible exposure than lymes. A client that I have trials in his field got it a two summers back and still feels like crap now and again from it.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:59 pm

I had lymes two years ago and either lymes or anaplasmosis last year. They weren't sure what I had last year because once you have lymes you'll always test positive. It was some of the worst pain I've experienced.

If you think you have it and the doc won't give you the meds find another doc because it is only going to get worse. The only side effect of the meds is you are more susceptible to sun burn while you are on it. Some docs are reluctant to prescribe it until they have a positive test. The problem with that is it doesn't always show up in tests even if you have it.

When I was a kid we had tons of wood ticks and you'd hardly ever see deer ticks. Now it's the other way around.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:16 pm

Nershi wrote: When I was a kid we had tons of wood ticks and you'd hardly ever see deer ticks. Now it's the other way around.
I agree.
I never encountered deer ticks until the early '80s just south of Mille Lacs. I had to cut (their pincers do not pull out, so had to cut them out) out 78 of them off my dog after 1 grouse hunt 30+ years ago - this was before the word "Lyme disease" even existed. I even had the classic "bulls eye" back before LD was known to exist. I keep testing neutral for it. :? Fast forward... My dog died from complications of LD 10.5 years ago as well as 2 other dogs 10 years ago within 3 houses of me. Even the horses had it. :shock:

And related, between the parasites and wolves (a new study concluded that these are the 2 principle reasons for the populations demise), the Moose have no chance in MN.

It's one F'd up world we now live in with all the new diseases and invasive species. And some call this "progress".... sigh... :roll: :(
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:37 pm

Nershi wrote:If you think you have it and the doc won't give you the meds find another doc because it is only going to get worse.

I've heard that exact line from everyone I've talked to that has had it.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”