StuStiltman
Mergie Marauder

Re: Vaunted Marsh Lake

Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:50 pm

emptymag wrote:I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm guessing it will become miss managed and end up being off limits to hunting or inaccessible by boat or have a draw hunt. Then in a few years it will be back to what it is now, a migration spot.

I grew up hunting that area, my old man owned one of the citiot duck shacks around the lake until a couple years ago, so I can say that I know the lake better than most, at least I can say that on the internet, most likely I'm a liar....but anyways, I don't hunt there anymore, but a couple years ago when I did, even with normal water levels in the fall getting on the lake with a 14 ft vhull could be tricky....rocks at correl, the Delta on the river access....these were tricky to get through. Like I said before, doesn't effect me anymore, I've moved north and have found better and easier hunting, but I hope that the drawdowns won't make marsh a mudmotor only lake in the future.

StuStiltman
Mergie Marauder

Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:09 pm

Mallard_maniac wrote:
Hansen wrote:It's long over due. Improve Marsh lake and it will help. There is a moist soil impoundment there, correct?

Yes the Killen Refuge is managed as a moist soil impoundment, most, if not all (been a while since I've been out there) is off limits to hunting but it does hold an impressive amount of birds during peak migration.

When it first was flooded it held a crazy amount of ducks even early (2nd weekend) of the season, I'm thinking it opened in 06...ish the last year that zones goose hunt didn't open until the 3rd week of duck hunting I was on marsh the 2nd weekend, didn't see anything until someone shot near the moist soil refuge....after that it was crazy ducks everywhere for a half hour. If they hadn't left the refuge I would of said that the area was void of ducks, crazy what that refuge does, or did (haven't been there for a couple years)

duck_dynasty
Coot Commander

Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:39 pm

Sounds encouraging overall. Put it this way it cant be any worse than it currently is. Between this and Christina etc. maybe we can get the migration to spread out a little more east our way.

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:29 pm

StuStiltman wrote:
emptymag wrote:I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm guessing it will become miss managed and end up being off limits to hunting or inaccessible by boat or have a draw hunt. Then in a few years it will be back to what it is now, a migration spot.

I grew up hunting that area, my old man owned one of the citiot duck shacks around the lake until a couple years ago, so I can say that I know the lake better than most, at least I can say that on the internet, most likely I'm a liar....but anyways, I don't hunt there anymore, but a couple years ago when I did, even with normal water levels in the fall getting on the lake with a 14 ft vhull could be tricky....rocks at correl, the Delta on the river access....these were tricky to get through. Like I said before, doesn't effect me anymore, I've moved north and have found better and easier hunting, but I hope that the drawdowns won't make marsh a mudmotor only lake in the future.

Sounds familiar. My dad grew up by Bellingham and my grandparents owned land on the south side of the lake/river bottom but sold it to pay for the youngest of their childrens college.

I get out there a few times a year and what you said about a 14 ft v hull is the problem I see all the time. Last fall my longtail would drag the bottom with the low water levels. I've watched guys in heavy winds get blown down the lake because their motors hit bottom in between the waves. The silt build up where the river dumps into the lake is the biggest problem I see if they do a water draw down. The only landing would be Correll and there is a few good sized boulders hiding just under the water on that side. Could have some even more interesting boat races at 5am. I'm already at the point were I show up at 6 don't get one of the "points". Some one else can have'em.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

StuStiltman
Mergie Marauder

Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:17 pm

I like that you mentioned the boat races, I don't have to deal with that anymore, but I have some good memories of that. Nothing gets a tired/hung over guy awake quite like going full throttle down the river in the dark, and occasionally hitting a floating tree stump. I've wasted many props and shafts doing that. The last time I motored off marsh I hit a carp in the river delta in my old mans boat, motor flies up, carp boils on top of the water and me and the old man laugh, motor goes down, we hit the river channel and the motor shakes like hell. Get back to the bridge and see the prop shaft on the old mariner 25 is shot.....I have great memories of that lake.....but good riddance, I haven't hit a stump or rock since my old man sold his shack. Another thing I dont miss is the shit brown solvent water. After a weekend hunting there the skin on my hands would crack and bleed, that doesn't happen after a weekend on a clear water northern lake.

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:35 pm

emptymag wrote:
I grew up hunting that area, my old man owned one of the citiot duck shacks around the lake until a couple years ago, so I can say that I

Sounds familiar. My dad grew up by Bellingham and my grandparents owned land on the south side of the lake/river bottom but sold it to pay for the youngest of their childrens college.

I get out there a few times a year and what you said about a 14 ft v hull is the problem I see all the time. Last fall my longtail would drag the bottom with the low water levels. I've watched guys in heavy winds get blown down the lake because their motors hit bottom in between the waves. The silt build up where the river dumps into the lake is the biggest problem I see if they do a water draw down. The only landing would be Correll and there is a few good sized boulders hiding just under the water on that side. Could have some even more interesting boat races at 5am. I'm already at the point were I show up at 6 don't get one of the "points". Some one else can have'em.

I know of at least 2 groups that have gotten stranded toward the north end because the wind got so bad it pushed water toward the south like a tide. MNDNR and the Sheriff out there had to do SAR's on them with air boats.

That's a bummer about killen. Last time I was there was 2010 and it was still decent then (the impoundment anyway). How they let that slide that much in that short of time is not good. It was one of those projects I saw DNR doing that I was happy my tax $$$ we're going towards, at least then anyway..... Too bad

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:09 am

I agree. Great intent...severe lack of follow through.

As stated earlier...Marsh really can't get any worse. I don't really mind the rocks, keeps some people intimidated. I looking forward to see what this all has to offer. In my opinion, any improvement likely will make it great hunting. It really isn't lacking much as it is. AND, get rid of afternoon hunting!!! Huge problem as it is.
Dominate The Skies.

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:32 am

Mallard_maniac wrote:I know of at least 2 groups that have gotten stranded toward the north end because the wind got so bad it pushed water toward the south like a tide. MNDNR and the Sheriff out there had to do SAR's on them with air boats.

Had it happen twice over the years. The first time was in 2008. when we finally got off the lake there were still 6 rigs at the landing. I read in the Outdoor news the next wek that some guys had to get rescued. These pics are from last fall. If you don't panic and just wait it will come back, no rescue needed.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:23 pm

emptymag wrote: If you don't panic and just wait it will come back, no rescue needed.

That right there is the key..... and a overwhelming trend in many environmental tragedies/fatalities. Unfortunately, both times that I know about, (one of which was the date you mentioned, the other happened in either 2009 or 2010. I can't remember now) the people were simply pushed beyond their comfort-ability and panicked. Like you said had they stayed calm, they would have likely boated out fine that evening.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:09 pm

Cliped a rock and sheared a pin. Hauled ass over the side and waded the boat across the big basin to the river landing South of correll. At that time, there was A LOT more than 2' of water crossing the basin.

I quit hunting Marsh long before I stopped hunting the area. Other spots easier to access, way less ass clowns, and the hunting as good or better.

Great memories on that lake.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”