Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Vaunted Marsh Lake

Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:49 pm

Well it looks like they are going to bring the legend of of a lake back to life.

http://www.startribune.com/long-awaited ... 370214321/

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Re: Vaunted Marsh Lake

Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:28 pm

Yay!

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:17 pm

It's long overdue. This is a worthwhile project that will benefit a lot of hunters.

Where's the MWA?
Dominate The Skies.

tornadochaser
Mergie Marauder

Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:21 pm

Odd I didn't hear about this Saturday night...sitting with 300 other people in Appleton at the sportsman's club wild game feed. This project is long overdue and I can already visualize where the walleye will stack up in the Pomme when they find the gravel to spawn on.
"Where's the MWA?"...sitting around trying to figure out how to simultaneously take credit for this and decree that they don't want to see teal or wood ducks harvested over moist soils...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

StuStiltman
Mergie Marauder

Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:13 pm

Imo, marsh should be managed for waterfowl. That being said, will diverting the pomme into lqp turn lower lqp into (more of) a silty loon shit hole than it already is? (between the twin bridges and the spillway). Will dropping the water on marsh in the summer negatively affect the fishing from upstream of the spillway up to 75? Like I said, I think that lake should be managed for waterfowl, but I hope the fishing won't be hurt too much, not that it effects me anymore, but the lake/(mostly) river is used by locals more for fishing than hunting

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:38 pm

One can only hope that the drawdown here is as effective as Pelican!!!

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:03 am

Pelican is a waste. No secret there.

Marsh on the other hand, if in good condition, is a hub of the migration. Way more ducks use that area than the central part of the state. When Marsh attracts a large number of ducks...it provides decent hunting for 3-4 counties. I hope this all gets done soon, and most importantly...the area managers stay ACTIVE in this project. MN has got to get away from this "set it and forget it" approach to wetland management. It's total BS.
Dominate The Skies.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:59 am

^^^ I totally agree with the last line.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

tornadochaser
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: Vaunted Marsh Lake

Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:29 pm

StuStiltman wrote:Imo, marsh should be managed for waterfowl. That being said, will diverting the pomme into lqp turn lower lqp into (more of) a silty loon shit hole than it already is? (between the twin bridges and the spillway). Will dropping the water on marsh in the summer negatively affect the fishing from upstream of the spillway up to 75? Like I said, I think that lake should be managed for waterfowl, but I hope the fishing won't be hurt too much, not that it effects me anymore, but the lake/(mostly) river is used by locals more for fishing than hunting

Looking at the mouth of the pomme as it is right now, there is a silt Delta there along the side road, but part of that is due to there being very little current. Allow the river to meander naturally back into the upper end of LQP and the sediment loading should be minimal. As far as the upper end of marsh and it's fishing, the fishing is only good where water is moving, right up to the spillway on 75, so I don't see that changing. If anything the fishery should improve if water clarity improves.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:38 pm

The meandering mouth is the key. The silt is from the straightening and changing the location of where the river came in. This has been studied for a decade+

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”