h2ofwlr
The One And Only

opener concerns with the flooding

Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:52 pm

Waseca had almost 14" of rain in 2 days time. Heavy(4"+) in many places in southern MN. Maple Grove had 10.39" in 1 spot last night. NE Iowa had major rains and flooding too. Eau Claire area of WI is flooded too.

In a nutshell, the ducks could be anywhere with all the standing water where ever they had heavy rains.

So will the rains hurt where you would normally hunt?

Heck I bet some will not even go due to flooded basement, etc.
I bet MLDS will not being going as he and his crew likely are in Corcoran and MG area helping residents with their flooded basements, I bet he'll be super busy for the next 2 weeks.

BTW, more heavy rains are possible for SAT PM

The map below are rainfall amounts as of 3 in the morning--it was still raining in southern and SE Mn till daybreak.
Attachments
MPX_4.png
MPX_4.png (41.66 KiB) Viewed 4525 times
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Re: opener concerns with the flooding

Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:15 pm

What's your plan Al? With the rain forecast for Saturday are you seeking some shirt walk sheltered pocket or launching the boat with s modified blind/rain cover.

My plan staying the same, but where I'm going is just high water, not flood. Might opt for the shorter hike and no paddle. Wth a tarp lean-to

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:09 pm

Ya pretty crazy, this is the worst I seen it. All on ramps onto 94 in maple grove were closed this morning. 169 still has water into the shoulders. Crazy. I had 20-25 calls so far. Done 6 haha

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:14 pm

Heck, Al has to be just tinkled pink over all this water. He's been complaining about Swan being too low for years. I bet he's got all the decoys rigged and in his boat and is ready to be out on 'The Big Slough' at about midnight tomorrow.

Go get 'em Al!
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:30 pm

Hopefully another epic run in with trigger. Trigger is probably already getting boozed up in preparation.

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:18 am

I would be concerned for those hunting the creek/river systems with the fast moving water and the debris it brings.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

Hansen
Mergie Marauder

Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:44 am

Southwestern MN should be fine. Forecast has gotten better each day as far as wind. PM thunder for Saturday, we should be done long before that hits.

I feel bad for the folks in Waseca. I saw some photos ouch. That camp-ground on the east part of old 14 is flooded bad. There is more to life than duck hunting.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:29 am

No heading out at Midnight crap for this old man, I never even did it 20-30 years ago...

They are talking an East wind, that befuddles me as not a common wind direction, so not sure where I'll go yet. Hopefully it goes more SE which gives me better options.

I'm not worried about the rain because as Steve mentioned it's not supposed to happen until later in the day.

With the continued warm weather the BWTeal and Woodies should still be around in better numbers than average. But as mentioned the other week, many of the potholes are brim full, so the normal use waders is not an option, so then you need to drag a small boat to set decoys. Oh to be young again and have the energy to do that.... But I have a feeling that those that do will have a good shoot.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

randywatson
Mergie Marauder

Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:04 pm

we will be done by 7. 3 guys 18 brown ducks. mississippi pool?
Women with whiskers.....that's a bummer

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:21 pm

Nershi wrote:Hopefully another epic run in with trigger. Trigger is probably already getting boozed up in preparation.

That was probably the last time Fowler hunted without a guide. If he heads out tomorrow, which I doubt, he'll probably try to downwind someone.... again.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”