Re: opener concerns with the flooding

Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:06 am

Apparently no cause for concern.

45 minutes to limit.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:37 pm

Horsechit down here. Seen 4 ducks in a spot that always holds birds. Even if it's crap everywhere else. Seen one bluewing, one hen wood duck and a hen and drake widgion.

But couldn't beat these off with a stick. One flock was 60+ strong.
20160924_121703.jpg

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk
Attachments
20160924_121637.jpg
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:06 pm

On a weight killed to shell ratio I'd call that winning.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: opener concerns with the flooding

Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:16 pm

lanyard wrote:On a weight killed to shell ratio I'd call that winning.

Still rather have a single bluewing than these. Looks like it's time to make jerky.

On the ratio...single, one shell. Pair, buddy one shell and me one shell. 60+ my boy one shell, buddy two shells and me two shells. So it wasn't to bad and all were dead on impact with the water. For the wind we had I was surprised. Never fired at any ducks.

This was my boys first legit no doubts goose so he's happy.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:22 pm

Was pretty bad around me but I didn't go out with much expectations. Took the gf out to our pond and I missed on two single wood ducks . only 2 ducks in range and didn't see a ton of others

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:24 pm

maplelakeduckslayer wrote:Was pretty bad around me but I didn't go out with much expectations. Took the gf out to our pond and I missed on two single wood ducks . only 2 ducks in range and didn't see a ton of others

That's why we are going out for an hour or so and try for some wood ducks at sunrise and then saying screw it and going mushroom and woodcock hunting instead. No ducks in the area.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:58 am

Trigger wrote:
Nershi wrote:Hopefully another epic run in with trigger. Trigger is probably already getting boozed up in preparation.

That was probably the last time Fowler hunted without a guide. If he heads out tomorrow, which I doubt, he'll probably try to downwind someone.... again.

I kept calling out your name but you never answered. I so wanted to set up 50 yds down wind from you!
A shucks, I guess you were passed out in the boat.... until the next time...
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:35 am

Any report Al?

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:11 pm

gimpfinger wrote:
maplelakeduckslayer wrote:Was pretty bad around me but I didn't go out with much expectations. Took the gf out to our pond and I missed on two single wood ducks . only 2 ducks in range and didn't see a ton of others

That's why we are going out for an hour or so and try for some wood ducks at sunrise and then saying screw it and going mushroom and woodcock hunting instead. No ducks in the area.

Yeah I didn't even go today, gotta work while there's work to do there will be plenty of time to hunt when work is slower in a couple weeks

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:57 pm

High water ruined a lot of the rice crop up north. Most of it looked good initially but upon closer inspection there was no kernels on the stalks. Sure concentrated the birds in the areas that have good food. The last spot we had to time to check Friday is a tiny lake that is super tough to get to and had easily 10k+ birds on it. Had to cross 6 beaver dams to get to it but it was well worth it. Ringers put on a hell of a show dive bombing in Saturday morning. First 45 mins was a constant noise of jets.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”