h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Cree LED headlamps

Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:45 pm

From your experience, if say in a boat motoring so you can clearly see out a 100yds for stumps, and 300 yds for cattails, shoreline, etc What lumen size (Eg 2000, 5000, 10000, 15000, 20000, etc) of light do you use? I had a Halogen Qbeam 1M candle power but it's kuput. So I am looking at a headlamp torch spotlight as a replacement.

And does anyone have a place where they sell the good cree hand/head lights? Meaning the better more durable lens, waterproof, etc? I've noticed LOTS of cheap Chinese crap out there so a good USA referral sure would be sweet.
Last edited by h2ofwlr on Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Re: Cree LED headlamps

Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:47 am

Cree is just a bulb. You can still get a crappy light but hey its got Cree LEDs. The housing and lens matter just as much.

I have a 13" pro comp light bar on the front of my truck, no issues with it in 2 years and I drivea lot of miles. It's 4800 lumens, spot/flood combo, and lights things up very well. I got it half off but its a $300 light.

I think something around 5000 lumens would be plenty for what you describe

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:14 am

http://www.okledlightbars.com/

I have heard good reviews on bars from this place in OKC. Less expensive than the big name brands but more expensive than the Chinese stuff. I believe they are made in the US, but its hard to find info like that on a lot of these brands because with most manufacturers they are simply assembled here...the parts all come from the same place. I would have bought from these guys if I didn't find the deal I did.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:07 pm

^^^^ For a permanent mount LED for a boat or truck, I think you are on to something there.

maplelakeduckslayer wrote:Cree is just a bulb. You can still get a crappy light but hey its got Cree LEDs. The housing and lens matter just as much.

I agree. I think most of the Chinese low priced stuff on the net is very likely inferior crap. A $6 unit VS a $30 (both USA based seller) has got to be built and last differently. But being there are so many Cree lights out there, and how the heck can a person tell the difference when looking online???? And thus why I am asking for a referral.

So is anyone real satisfied with your torch headlamp? If so what brand and model is it? And then as compared to a Halogen 1M spotlight, how bright is it in comparison?
I am sure other members could benefit from this topic too.

BTW, for in case any one is looking for a closer work LED headlamp: I have the Energizer 150 lumen 3 LED headlamp for fishing, etc that works well for up close stuff (50' or less). And it works great for when handling and putting out decoys, etc. Runs on 3 AAA batteries. It lasts at least 6 hours on full power. It has 3 power/brightness modes. I noticed that Menards has the newer 200 lumen model for $15
And watch for them on sale at Menards, as they'd make a great stocking stuffer idea 2 months from now. ;)

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:08 pm

Guess I misread the question, thought you were asking about mounted lights

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:05 pm

I am sure others will use your info on a LED light bar for their boat as it's good info.

If any of you have an extra 1/2 hour and want to get a headache, you'll more fully understand why I am asking for a real life comparison of Candle Power to Lumens. Go visit this link https://onlineconversion.vbulletin.net/ ... ower/page1 post 77 sums it up the comparison.
The brainiacs here would get a trip reading that topic while the average Joe will just go WTF that's calculus or something!
BTW, I understood the principles that they were talking about right away, I loved the comment "it is like comparing inches to gallons." :lol: But the disconnect by so many of the posters not understanding that there is no direct lineal correlation between CP and LU was astounding! :o

Thus after doing some research and not finding a satisfactory answer, why obviously above that I am asking for real world experiences for a comparison. :mrgreen:

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:19 pm

I have the Energizer. It's a nice little lamp

What you want all that light on your head for? Heading to a strip club in 'Sconi?

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:38 pm

I got like 4 of the energizers myself...they were on sale at homo depot for 1.99 including batteries. You can't get batteries alone for that price

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:44 pm

The Bushnell headlamps at walmart have Cree bulbs. I've had mine for 3 years now. Got hi/low spotlight and red led and blue led. Can't remember if it's 900 lumens or 1000 on high but it lights it up to 100+ yards. It gets used all year from ice fishing, lake fishing, catfishing, and all through hunting from dove to coyotes. In three years it's got some miles on it.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:10 pm

Thanks Gimp, I just checked them out. 300 lumens is the biggest headlamp they now have :( https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=B ... 20headlamp
Or did you mean a hand held? https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bushnell-200 ... t/34349998
Maybe they quit making them, as no 1000 or close to it headlamps shown on their website http://www.bushnell.com/all-products/ou ... n-lighting

lanyard wrote:What you want all that light on your head for? Heading to a strip club in 'Sconi?
They have big deep tunnels... you never know what you may find... maybe even Trigger's buddy passed out up in there...
Ummmm but seriously, like the 1st post said, for when motoring in the dark. Figured it'd come in handy when mowing the lawn too, etc. Considering what a traditional Halogen costs, why not get a hands free LED that has the same brightness, eh?

I'm going to try combining different info from other sites so guys here can use the info too:

N3ckBe@rdSkyBust3 - If you are using it for the field, don't buy "cheap". Look into brands like Fenix, Klarus, Olight, Armytek, Sunwayman for dependable budget friendly lights to use in the field. Most of them are in the $30-50 range.

Warren from MI - I use this 1800L one and it works great at 15mph in the dark. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00RL6X9 ... ref=plSrch

RangerBob from TX - I have a 3m candlepower Qbeam that has been relegated to a back-up. I now use a Fenix RC-20 flashlight that has 1K lumens. It is brighter than the QBeam, throws a better spot with a whiter light. It is only a little over 6" long and I keep it on a wrist strap. It is rechargeable, and has 3 light levels, made out of aircraft aluminum. It sells for $120. myfenixlight.com
This is the finest light I have ever used. Combined with the cree light on the front of my boat I have no problem running anywhere I want to go.

from Buckmaster in MI - I have two of these. They are stupid bright. https://www.amazon.com/Boruit-Headlamp- ... it+rj-5000
Last edited by h2ofwlr on Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:51 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”