WALKER
Mergie Marauder

Any .410 hunters out there

Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:41 am

Due to some med issues can't use my Bennelli this year. It's been a looong time since shot .410 but may give it a try.

On a good note the ducks have really been piling into Lake Michigan. Peanut & I working a flock of over 1000 mallards. Seems
much better than normal with all the flooded corn.

Hope all is well with you guys.

I probably won't post much as in the process of retiring to Lake Michigan

Happy Trails

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Re: Any .410 hunters out there

Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:05 am

Here I thought the tax extensions were keeping you busy!

From what I've seen on the interwebs, folks wanting a light shooter for ducks have gone to a 28 gauge.

Hope retirement treats you right.

Of all the characters we're left with Fowler, WTH? :-)

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:49 am

So what did you do Rick, hurt your shoulder shooing off the younger gals away from you with the wife around all the time now?

With either 410 or 28 ga, I'd say waterfowl loads would be slim pickings for them.
I have heard of guys shooting bismuth in the old 20 ga though for a light recoil gun. I guy last year at the landing had bought an old Rem 1100 in 20 ga for his kid, He said they grouse and pheasant hunt more, so he did not mind buying a couple of boxes of the expensive bismuth for the kid to go duck hunting a few times.

So who is Peanut? A new pup by chance?

And Rob, for in case you have not figured it out yet, you are the new character around here this past year.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:16 am

Good to hear from you Walker, went thru Gaylord awhile back and was wondering what you've been up to.....have fun in retirement.......
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:03 am

Good luck with your retirement Rick! You have always enjoyed your fishing out there.

A few years back, I used an old Iver Johnson .410, full choke with Hevi-Shot # 4. It worked OK out to about 20 yards with n head/neck shots. If I were to go to a smaller gauge again, I'd try a .28 gauge. Light recoil and more shot shell options.

Send us a photo of Peanut.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:10 am

Good luck have fun!

And yes, non toxic loads for a .410 are very hard to come by and very expensive. My Dad found out the hard way when he bought my bro a .410 when he was 8 for duck hunting. Think bismuth was like $45 for a box of 25. I just did a quick search and there are just a couple steel loads for cheaper, but its 6 shot

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:27 pm

Rio has bismuth loads now, check them out. Not 100% sure if for .410 though.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:32 pm

http://www.weatherby.com/sa-08tm-deluxe.html

http://www.gunsandammo.com/reviews/weat ... xe-review/

http://www.mackspw.com/MobileView/Mobil ... &xltFile=3

Rick,

28 gauge is gaining in popularity as our shooters get older. You'll be limited in range, but a gas operated semi-auto should provide a combination of reduced recoil and weight. Doubles will increase weight to lower recoil.

She'll options in 28 are increasing and the premium is coming down as more guns enter production as 28's.

Al, if I'm the best/last character we've got tbe internet is truly dead.

WALKER
Mergie Marauder

Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:51 pm

Thanks for all the info guys. I recently had bypass surgery so my surgeon gets real excited when I want to shoot a shotgun. Reminds me a lot of Steve Lee " Well Jeezus H Christ Walker ya only had surgery 2 weeks ago LOL I mis that fricken Lee-one of the true characters I've met along the trail. I should show up to the Mallard Club just to hear Lee's comments about hunting 2 weeks
after open heart surgery. I'm sure they would be classic. BTW Peanut is my hunting partner in Lake Michigan.

Good to hear from ya guys

9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:15 pm

Dang Walker, open heart surgery, sounds like things are going well for you now, makes my hip-replacement last year look like a walk in the park........sucks getting old ................
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”