Brose
Mergie Marauder

Re: Swans

Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:37 am

h2ofwlr wrote:Steve Cordts.

I doubt it'd ever happen because on the Trumepter Swans (endangered species) that are raised in MN.

But over the next few years, I bet there may be a limited Sandhill crane season in Southern MN,

Can you tell which is a Trumpeter and which is a Tundra swan?

Tundra is top pic
DOA Decoys Pro Staff
Mossy Oak Pro Staff

Brose
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:38 am

THe CRiPPLeR wrote:I sometimes see hundreds at a time in east central MN. I would think they would make a stop once in a while south in Rochester.

Had one in the decoys closing day last year.
DOA Decoys Pro Staff
Mossy Oak Pro Staff

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:37 pm

I remember about 8-10 years back on a slough that I was hunting on after a heavy snow fall and we had 30s for temps and open water in mid November. A light fog made it seem a bit eary out there along with their honking sounds... and the Swans were flying around that day. From a distance they seemed disproportionately too big for the landscape, seems like they were like 747 jets next to 727. Had a pair come over me at 20' up--I ducked down! They are HUGE. They are fun to watch and admire for sure.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:17 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:I remember about 8-10 years back on a slough that I was hunting on after a heavy snow fall and we had 30s for temps and open water in mid November. A light fog made it seem a bit eary out there along with their honking sounds... and the Swans were flying around that day. From a distance they seemed disproportionately too big for the landscape, seems like they were like 747 jets next to 727. Had a pair come over me at 20' up--I ducked down! They are HUGE. They are fun to watch and admire for sure.

Have them in the diver decoys a lot later in the season. Cool bird. Ever see them with the transmitters on the wings? Had a group of five this year that wouldn't leave the decoys while picking up. Talk about the dog having a meltdown while I was out there.
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

shnelson
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:15 pm

I see four of them on the river every year, I love watching them take off.

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:05 pm

Waterfowlist wrote:Why would it matter that we raise trumpeter swans here? I would think North Dakota raises more than us and you can still hunt Tundras.

The first pair of trumpeters seen in north dakota in the past 100 years was about 5 years ago in the spring... they were then poached. So nodak still only has tundras which is why they are allowed to have a season.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

Waterfowlist
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:39 pm

Trigger wrote:
Waterfowlist wrote:Why would it matter that we raise trumpeter swans here? I would think North Dakota raises more than us and you can still hunt Tundras.

The first pair of trumpeters seen in north dakota in the past 100 years was about 5 years ago in the spring... they were then poached. So nodak still only has tundras which is why they are allowed to have a season.

Well I guess it makes sense then for us not to have one. I wasn't aware of that.

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:40 am

We don't do book learnin' in Monticello, but we got tons of swans down there.

Big Daddy
I'll Swat Your Decoys

Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:27 am

Lots of them around here still

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:50 pm

There are a couple spots w of the cities where they winter. Kinda looks like the same spot in big daddy's pic but havent been over there in a couple years.

We have some land in our decoys every few years. A couple years back we had a family group land in our goose decoys. The swans were pecking at our goose floaters trying to pick a fight. My dog finally couldn't stand it anymore so she swam out for a chase. She was able to single one out and was gaining on it. It's the fastest I've seen my dog swim. My dog is a couple feet behind the one and the rest of the flock is a couple feet behind her and honking like hell. It's one of the funniest things Ive seen. After my dog gave up they were real curious about her and stuck around until we almost landed a goose on them.

My grandpa used to hunt red lake before the Indians turned anti on the whites. He stopped at the one of the points that seperate the two lakes to check on a buddy who was hunting there. He asked him how he was doing and his buddy told him he shot the biggest snow goose of his life. When he held it up my grandpa said that's a swan you dumbass. We still quote that one to this day.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”