lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Re: Spring Chronicles....

Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:38 am

Well,

It took about a week longer than I expected, but if finally happened: someone posted on the Facebook Minnesota Waterfowlers group asking why all the geese look like they're migrating..... the 60 people that responded with the same answer as the first guy, explaining the molt migration, likely learned about it last year :-)

I haven't seen more than three goslings with any pair. Was in Fergus on Thursday, same thing up there. Ducks should be popping by end of the week I would think. Will be interesting to see if they have higher success rates per nest.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:42 am

Was thinking it's about time to start a Summer Chronicles thread, but then this week just keeps Spring alive....

Saw a 5-6 pack of gosling's finally, and on the lake this morning for a pre-work fishing trip had 30 or so molt migrators head north over the top of me.

Driving out of the ramp a mallard hen had 5 Drake's hot on her tail, working on a second nest more than likely.

A couple short hits,one bite off and some crappies/sunnies volunteered to explore the topside. Nothing stretching the tape, but WTH, it's Thursday.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:33 am

Nice...I just must not be as observant anymore...I haven't seen a single gosling. I drove past a park with some long grass with a bunch of pairs out in it but not a single fuzz ball. Course maybe I just can't see them

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:53 pm

maplelakeduckslayer wrote:Nice...I just must not be as observant anymore...I haven't seen a single gosling. I drove past a park with some long grass with a bunch of pairs out in it but not a single fuzz ball. Course maybe I just can't see them

Then be bigger come hunting season :-)

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:46 pm

Finally noticed my first ones this afternoon

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:45 am

Probably stepped in some goose crap and looked up and saw them, eh?
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:21 am

Naw after I ran them over had to turn around and make sure it wasn't a pedestrian

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:57 pm

BS, who do you think you're trying to fool, as you went back and were checking for bands

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:19 am

The good news is that the drought in N central Mn is over.

The bad news that from Duluth to N WI and over the the UP of MI of major flooding. Got to fell sorry for the folks up there dealing with it..

On Fri Am I saw a photo of the Menards in Duluth with shin high water in the store - and they have gotten a LOT more rain since then.

photos are rain totals from early Friday AM to last night
Attachments
MPX_0.png
MPX_0.png (48.91 KiB) Viewed 3979 times
MQT_0.png
MQT_0.png (43.03 KiB) Viewed 3979 times

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:13 pm

Just the garden center outside...they sandbagged the doors. But yeah up nort got hammered. Glad it ended up not transitioning south yesterday like the forecasters were predicting for all of a few hours before they cancelled the flash flood watch

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”