lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Summer Slide....

Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:32 am

Today is the first day of summer.... The "slide" begins now as we are at 93 days to duck opener.

I know some of you early goose, YWD, archery deer, bait bear, and knock partridge from the get-go; but, in my mind, the first day of fall is Duck Opener.

The best days are birds early, limits better, and fishing the afternoon with leaves falling across the lake as crappies and walleye start getting antsy. The shorter photo period gets me antsy, too. No different than 'eyes going on a bite around harvest moons my biology kicks in.

Fall is the best season.

The year is mature in Fall. The work it took in Spring and the energy absorbed through Summer bring everything to it's peak. The deer are bigger, the ducks getting on fat, the flocks and the migrations working towards wintering grounds.

But we don't get to fall without Spring and Summer.

Now it's Summer. The corn is getting higher each day and like the corn the birds need warmth and rain at the right intervals. Get them grasshoppers and katydids, and swamp skimmers and water beetles. Let the seed heads mature and the rice flourish in the lakes and rivers.

Spring is the "Drive for Show": colors and blooms and birth.

Summer is the "Put for Dough": this is where the hay gets made boys. Dust off the decoys, fire up the paint, knock the cobwebs out of some gun barrels and get ready. The Summer Slide begins today

Hansen
Mergie Marauder

Re: Summer Slide....

Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:51 am

Yup . . . I'm starting to get excited. I've seen more woody broods than I've even see or can remember. It's get's me excited. I've yet to see a brood of honkers, they have had a terrible nesting season with the late spring. Things are growing like crazy right now with the hot, wet, humid weather. Can't wait!

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:15 am

Probably set the game cam this weekend to see what kind of head gear is growing, throw something on the smoker, and maybe even wet a line locally been a while. Maybe see if Pelican still has anything alive in it

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:52 am

I follow Wildwings, if that's the guy with the bait shop down around Albert Lea..... from his Facebook:

EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY THE CITY OF FAIRMONT IS PLACING A NO WAKE RULE IN PLACE. Also as a side note keep in mind the lakes will keep rising for the next day or 2. The normal rule of thumb is for each inch of rain the lakes will come up 4 inches. So with the docks level expect them under water 20" tomorrow.

9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:50 pm

lanyard wrote:I follow Wildwings, if that's the guy with the bait shop down around Albert Lea..... from his Facebook:

EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY THE CITY OF FAIRMONT IS PLACING A NO WAKE RULE IN PLACE. Also as a side note keep in mind the lakes will keep rising for the next day or 2. The normal rule of thumb is for each inch of rain the lakes will come up 4 inches. So with the docks level expect them under water 20" tomorrow.

He's in Fairmont and they have got a ton of rain there this year, we have had 5" this week in Walnut Grove, sump pump running every 2 min, heard city of Currie has major water problems in town......we need sun down here....
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:59 pm

Big rain events seem to becoming the norm in recent years. Friend in NW WI called me Monday. He could hardly see the peak of his roof on his boat house. The lake flooded in to his finished walkout basement and he is almost over his waders when he goes down there. I was on Vermilion last weekend and it rained about 5 inches in a few hours in Saturdays storm. Most intense rain I have ever seen. The hail we got hit with while ripping across the lake in a boat was an experience. Gonna start packing goggles and a facemask in the boat.

Back to the original topic, Fall kicks in for me once the first major cold front in September hits. Big muskies slide shallow and put on the feed and birds start milling about exercising their wings for the first flight. My slide is shorter than yours. :)

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:57 pm

^^^^ I like that, and am alright with it :-)

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:52 am

I just C&R'd a limit of crappies 9"-11' in <20 mins.

Bragging: no.

Just a note of how f'ing great life can be, catching fish like that on a metro lake, coffee in hand, watching 3 old guys down the line gigging slabs with round bobbers in a boat older than mine.

Damn I'm glad I don't have cable for the 24 hr news cycle to phuck this up.

Mow my lawn then go see if son's baseball team goes and gets the Championship in their tournament.

Wish my pops was still alive, great day.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:25 am

Sounds perfect

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:13 pm

maplelakeduckslayer wrote:Sounds perfect

Didn't get the lawn mowed but the boys took the Championship! :-)

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”