dwendt
Mergie Marauder

Re: What kind of truck do you drive?

Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:01 pm

maplelakeduckslayer wrote:
Bill Gilbertson wrote:
maplelakeduckslayer wrote:But, it is programmed and is around 400 horse and almost 500 ft lbs at the wheels.

So what's the downside of such programming. There has to be a downside or the manufacturers would do it.

You could potentially cause premature wear if you don't have a reputable company write the tune, data log the tune, etc. Most guys just plug in a "canned" tune off a store shelf and run it without thinking about it...that's where problems arise. There's a lot that goes into a quality tune. My tune is truly custom...I have data logged the tune numerous times and the guy writing my tune has revised it 3 times for me. His tune adding 80 horse and 100 ft lbs to my truck has lower knock counts than Fords factory tune :shock: . Its also important that a tune just doesn't throw boost at the motor...many parameters need to be changed. On my custom tune he only added 2-3 lbs of boost...lesser quality tunes just add boost to increase power which can lead to issues.

Also, the manufacturers need to have a tune that caters to a wide range of people. Not all people want a truck that will break the tires loose at 50 mph like mine does :)

Parts will wear faster no matter how well tuned.

Post a video of you breaking tires loose at 50mph or you're a big ole liar.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:09 pm

Roads are gonna be slick all week..but I'll try. What is sufficient evidence, vid of speedo with traction control flashing on when I punch it? I'm not making this up haha, the thing flys

dwendt
Mergie Marauder

Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:24 pm

maplelakeduckslayer wrote:Roads are gonna be slick all week..but I'll try. What is sufficient evidence, vid of speedo with traction control flashing on when I punch it? I'm not making this up haha, the thing flys

do you have slicks on?

sufficient evidence would be someone videoing you do it have them film from their speedo to you doing it.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:41 pm

No no slicks on...stock good years. I'll see what I can come up with. Only running 87 octane street tune right now 93 octane performance is a death wish in Winter. Gotta be careful enough with the street tune.

dwendt
Mergie Marauder

Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:58 pm

maplelakeduckslayer wrote:No no slicks on...stock good years. I'll see what I can come up with. Only running 87 octane street tune right now 93 octane performance is a death wish in Winter. Gotta be careful enough with the street tune.

Don't do it on I've or anything just wait if you have to. Also have you had it on a Dyno or how do you know the hp/torque that was added? Just curious

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:16 pm

The tuner has their own forum and a bunch of guys have done dynos...I haven't yet. Otherwise stock trucks have added around 80hp and 100 torque on these tunes...obviously plus or minus some. Guys running aftermarket exhaust, down pipes, intercoolers are seeing some impressive gains.

dwendt
Mergie Marauder

Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:40 pm

maplelakeduckslayer wrote:The tuner has their own forum and a bunch of guys have done dynos...I haven't yet. Otherwise stock trucks have added around 80hp and 100 torque on these tunes...obviously plus or minus some. Guys running aftermarket exhaust, down pipes, intercoolers are seeing some impressive gains.

Have you had to build your tranny yet? I'm not sure how you haven't limped it yet if you gained even 80 would be tough on it

Bill Gilbertson
Mergie Marauder

Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:00 pm

get-n-birdy wrote:95 GMC Suburban 6.5l dsl with 355,000 miles. Rarely driven without a trailer behind it or in 4 wheel drive.

Would you buy another diesel? With the big premium up front and the price of fuel, I wonder if it makes sense.

I tow trailers often for work. With a 7000# trailer, I don't have a lack of power. I did bend my rear axles though.

Gordon
Mergie Marauder

Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:48 pm

02 Silverado
Craigslist Prostaff

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:59 am

dwendt wrote:
maplelakeduckslayer wrote:The tuner has their own forum and a bunch of guys have done dynos...I haven't yet. Otherwise stock trucks have added around 80hp and 100 torque on these tunes...obviously plus or minus some. Guys running aftermarket exhaust, down pipes, intercoolers are seeing some impressive gains.

Have you had to build your tranny yet? I'm not sure how you haven't limped it yet if you gained even 80 would be tough on it

Not worried about the tranny, the 6r80 is a very stout tranny. There are many many supercharged 5.0 and 6.2 running around with zero issues. Tuning the trans is just as important as tuning the engine, and my tuner has done a great job with both. Like I said many guys with the eco boost are adding full bolt ons with no issues. There is some debate if the 80 stands for 800 ft lbs or nm...either way its plenty as 800 nm equates to 590 ft lb.

Bill
If you are looking for a gas truck that tows as close to a diesel as you can get, seriously test drive an eco boost with the max tow package, even if you aren't a Ford guy. I test drove mine 3 days andhooked up to several different trailers. It pulls like a fricken freight train. My truck is rated to tow 11,000+ lbs.It does a really really nice job. I'm not one of those fan boys that say Ford is best no matter what...but how the eco boost tows is truly remarkable

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”