Quack
Mergie Marauder

Cold weather ATV starting

Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:02 pm

Why are ATVs so hard to start in the cold? I’m getting to the point I expect to throw a tarp over it and put the fish house heater under it.

Mines a Honda, buddies have Honda’s and Yamahas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Re: Cold weather ATV starting

Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:34 am

What's the age? Carb or EFI?

Are your buddies hard starting too? Or just yours?

I do know that oil weight can have a lot to do with it. I remember from 35 yrs ago my old Honda 200S, had to build a fire under it otherwise I'd dislocate my elbow or break the pull rope it was so stiff when -20 More than a few times I had it started at my place, load it up on the trailer and drive 40 minutes (hoping it ran the whole way) to the marsh for trapping in 0 to -30 temps. I never turned it off. It did start much easier when it was 25 out.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:33 am

All carbureted, all hard to start.

Mines a 2001. I think buddy’s range from 96-2011

All electric start- cold weather zaps little batteries maybe? Starter turns over but maybe not fast enough?

deet
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:16 am

I have an 01 yami grizzly and I've actually been pleasantly surprised how well it starts in the cold (though I haven't used it much below -10F).
And I'm probably the 4th or 5th owner.

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:18 am

Old mans ‘06 grizzly 700 efi never has an issue always has 91 non oxy with a splash of seafoam in it
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:46 am

What Emptymag says; 91% non-oxy gas with a splash of Seafoam in it. I would also suggest using synthetic oil and maybe a hotter range sparkplug. Maybe a new or bigger battery as well.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:56 pm

Quack wrote:All electric start- cold weather zaps little batteries maybe? Starter turns over but maybe not fast enough?

I think you are on to something. I know of guys carrying on the rack tool box an extra small battery and mini jumper cables "just for in case".

Perhaps try a jump from your truck - if the starter turns faster and starts the engine - there is your answer.

And as mentioned, reports are that EFIs all start much easier in the cold.

As for the engine oil - check the owners manual for what it says for cold weather conditions as perhaps you can go to a 10-30 VS a straight 30. The 10-30 would make it easier to turn over - but would it be thick enough once heated up (run for 10 minutes) to adequately protect the engine?
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:04 pm

I use 0-w40 synthetic and always non-oxy gas. Often use seafoam, occasionally stabil.

I’m getting more convinced it’s the dinky old battery I have and the weak CCA on atv batteries. It’s been my topic of interest for a couple days.

Damn near thought it wasn’t going to start on Monday deer hunting. Started at home with the tarp and heater, left it run all the way to the spot (probably 90 minutes counting the warm up, trailered driving, and driving into the woods). By 11am I was considering Pkan B recovery options. Stupid.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:56 pm

Do you keep a battery tender on it when not in use? That helps a lot for keeping a battery "good" for as long as possible

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:27 pm

I know a guy who drove over 4 hours to lotw with his wheeler running the entire way because of this issue. He left it running almost the whole weekend.

Just got a wheeler and I’ll use some of the advice in here. Good thread.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”