lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Re: Anyone Try Kansas or Nebraska for Waterfowl Hunting?

Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:58 am

Can't imagine anyone other than MN hunters would travel to Kansas,/Nebraeka to hunt. If you picked weekdays I don't think you'd be crowded out Devil's Lake style.

MO and South/South East from there are the destination points. Kansas/Nebraska are likely better if you aren't into crowds.

Of course, I've never been there, but this is the internet so my opinion is as good as fact. :-)

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:50 am

The Alumacrap Man with his internet report has spoken - nothing more can be added. Everyone move along, nothing to see here from this point forward...
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

reno's ronin
Coot Commander

Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:49 pm

i lived in east central KS for 5 years. I was SW of ottawa KS in Franklin county. Was KS good? some years yes, other years not so much. My main AO's were Flint hills NWR , Melvern Reservoir, and local farm ponds that i had permission to hunt . All had their moments depending on water levels and bird migration. Destination hunting? . IMO no. I haven't gone back there to hunt and say I have way better hunting on the Mississippi or Nodak. It can be great if one wants to pay guides on private lands. freelancing trips, not so much. cheyenne bottoms is an awesome area and very unique. For those willing to put in some effort and walk it can be a great public place.
I always wanted to try Nebraska sandhills area for ducks but never have.

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:45 pm

reno's ronin wrote:i lived in east central KS for 5 years. I was SW of ottawa KS in Franklin county. Was KS good? some years yes, other years not so much. My main AO's were Flint hills NWR , Melvern Reservoir, and local farm ponds that i had permission to hunt . All had their moments depending on water levels and bird migration. Destination hunting? . IMO no. I haven't gone back there to hunt and say I have way better hunting on the Mississippi or Nodak. It can be great if one wants to pay guides on private lands. freelancing trips, not so much. cheyenne bottoms is an awesome area and very unique. For those willing to put in some effort and walk it can be a great public place.

The sandhills sound like a pretty good place to hunt but I suspect you would have to hunt it by mid November. I assume it is frozen pretty darn close to when South Dakota freezes give I think it is mostly shallow potholes.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:54 pm

TX gulf coast and surrounding waters is a good southern area to try if you want to freelance. Thousands and thousands of acres of public waters and very little pressure. I’m always surprised how little attention it gets. Opportinities for species we don’t get around here such as cinnamons, molted ducks and tree ducks. Not a good spot for a mallard snob but good hunting for just about every other species. I’d like to get down there again one of these winters.

Takem1
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: Anyone Try Kansas or Nebraska for Waterfowl Hunting?

Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:13 pm

Bailey wrote:[quote="reno's ronin"]i lived in east central KS for 5 years. I was SW of ottawa KS in Franklin county. Was KS good? some years yes, other years not so much. My main AO's were Flint hills NWR , Melvern Reservoir, and local farm ponds that i had permission to hunt . All had their moments depending on water levels and bird migration. Destination hunting? . IMO no. I haven't gone back there to hunt and say I have way better hunting on the Mississippi or Nodak. It can be great if one wants to pay guides on private lands. freelancing trips, not so much. cheyenne bottoms is an awesome area and very unique. For those willing to put in some effort and walk it can be a great public place.

The sandhills sound like a pretty good place to hunt but I suspect you would have to hunt it by mid November. I assume it is frozen pretty darn close to when South Dakota freezes give I think it is mostly shallow potholes.[/quote]Believe there are some spots in Nebraska that stay open all year long.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Takem1
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:13 pm

Nershi wrote:TX gulf coast and surrounding waters is a good southern area to try if you want to freelance. Thousands and thousands of acres of public waters and very little pressure. I’m always surprised how little attention it gets. Opportinities for species we don’t get around here such as cinnamons, molted ducks and tree ducks. Not a good spot for a mallard snob but good hunting for just about every other species. I’d like to get down there again one of these winters.
Mallards are over rated anyways

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:19 pm

Takem1 wrote:
Nershi wrote:TX gulf coast and surrounding waters is a good southern area to try if you want to freelance. Thousands and thousands of acres of public waters and very little pressure. I’m always surprised how little attention it gets. Opportinities for species we don’t get around here such as cinnamons, molted ducks and tree ducks. Not a good spot for a mallard snob but good hunting for just about every other species. I’d like to get down there again one of these winters.

Agreed, especially hunting water. I gotta admit I do enjoy watching huge groups of mallards bomb in to the field spread.

Takem1
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Anyone Try Kansas or Nebraska for Waterfowl Hunting?

Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:28 pm

Nershi wrote:[quote="Takem1"][quote="Nershi"]TX gulf coast and surrounding waters is a good southern area to try if you want to freelance. Thousands and thousands of acres of public waters and very little pressure. I’m always surprised how little attention it gets. Opportinities for species we don’t get around here such as cinnamons, molted ducks and tree ducks. Not a good spot for a mallard snob but good hunting for just about every other species. I’d like to get down there again one of these winters.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk[/quote]

Agreed, especially hunting water. I gotta admit I do enjoy watching huge groups of mallards bomb in to the field spread.[/quote]Haven't done a field hunt for mallards.

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:59 pm

I went about ten years ago to port Aransas with a guide. Well basically they drop you off at a blind and leave you which is fine by me as it maybe only cost 100 buck so per morning. The problem was the pintail limit was 1 there were pintails everywhere. You were done with that in a hurry and then try and wait for other ducks. There are lots of redheads though we did not into them as we went late in the season and they were all rafting way out. Really were not many other types of ducks around.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”