deet
Mergie Marauder

mushrooms this year

Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:28 pm

for anyone who feels like tossing some tips around here and there. I want to do a little morel hunting this spring. Never been into it but my family loves eating mushrooms and my kids are big enough now to ram around in the woods with me.

Like any sensible man does, i've taken to the internets to figure out the basics. I remember in years past a few guys here seem to really get into em. If you have any tips to shorten the learning curve, i'm all ears!

Takem1
Mergie Marauder

Re: mushrooms this year

Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:45 pm

Too bad gimp isnt around. He is pretty good at that kind of stuff. The internet has a ton of info.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:15 pm

Yupp Gimp would have been the man to ask.

GK1
Coot Commander

Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:47 pm

Where you live? What do your woodlands consist of?

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:29 pm

For morels you need decaying leaf litter. I’ve found them in every conceivable soil and forest type, as long as there’s leaf litter from deciduous trees. And of course, there’s an exception. Sometimes you find them on bare sand/dirt on an eroded hill, the edge of a gravel pit, or a recently dozed up woods road.

Generally to get started, find some lowland hardwoods or 40+ year old aspen adjacent to an ash swale or other wetlands and start walking “on the contour”. It really helps to have a team and cover a broad swath. When one person finds one or a few, you get a feel for what contour has the right soil moisture and soil temperature.

Just be sure to google “false morel” so you know the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deet
Mergie Marauder

Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:30 am

GK1 wrote:Where you live? What do your woodlands consist of?

Grand Rapids area, hunting/fishing shack is Squaw Lake area.

All kinds of woodlands around here but there's definitely more aspen and various coniferous than there is oak, maple, elm stands. Very few elm, in particular, and I hear that's a staple tree to search around.

Is it true that freshly logged areas tend to be more productive too? Not directly in clearcuts, but along skidder trails and on edges, etc.

I own a 6 acre lot, mostly wooded, with about a 30' elevation drop from sandy high soil w/ pine, down a slope of mixed hardwoods to low ash, then water. Is it entirely possible that I could search my lot entirely and at the "right" time and still come up with none, or do you think a guy can find them most anywhere if you actually look hard enough at the right time?

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:34 am

I hear cow pastures are good spots to find good shrooms. ;)

I sent you a pm with a spot to check fairly close to rapids.

deet
Mergie Marauder

Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:23 pm

Nershi wrote:I hear cow pastures are good spots to find good shrooms. ;)

This I can verify...

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:00 pm

Yes they can pop up on skid trails.

If you know any aspen or hardwood stands that were logged last summer, they have a habit of exploding with morels.

The soil warms up faster so these areas sprout early. They also dry out relatively quickly since there’s no shade

It’s very likely you could search your 6 acres daily and not find a morel. But it could produce.

A buddy found a bunch growing in the lawn at a cemetery. My brother had one solitary motel pop up in his landscaping in the cities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deet
Mergie Marauder

Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:24 am

Last year's logging sites I shall search. Got lots in mind.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”