Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

What's Your Least Favorite Tree?

Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:34 am

Least Favorite Tree:

I've come to loathe basswood. I hate that type of tree. They're ratty....constantly dropping shit....dead branches....their little pollen thingys. They're a low density wood yet don't burn worth a shit. Basswood firewood is like trying to burn wet sponges, when they're dry. They're pulpy. They're gross.

Honorable Mention:

Elm. Elm is way overhyped as a tree. Sure, it made for some nice cover down city avenues before Dutch elm, and morels like to grow off them, but when making a fire using elm....well, it smells like cat piss.

Honorable Mention for being Underrated:

Silver Maple. Yes, they drop a lot of shit but it happens quickly. They grow huge and are extremely strong and whippy. In 2013 there was a June thunderstorm that left me without power for two and a half days when I lived in South Minneapolis....yes, Minneapolis....it wasn't like I was out in the country. Elm trees on my block toppled and crushed cars. The big silver maple in my backyard dropped nary a branch and continued to shade my house in that summer and many after, and is providing shade to the new owners to this very day. Oddly enough my gay neighbors and my dad were always wanting me to chop it down. Not sure about the gays, but my dad seemingly wants to chop every tree on every property down, but his own. You go into the woods with him and start burning shit and he thinks you're altering the natural state of things.....
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Re: What's Your Least Favorite Tree?

Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:47 am

Huge Walnut tree in front yard, last tree to get leaves in spring, first tree to lose all it's leaves in fall not to mention all the f-ing walnuts in the yard, but it's a strong tree and great shade tree for my house(pain in the @ss tree with benefits)..............boxelder are the worst in my opinion..............
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

Stute Slap
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:53 am

Box elders are junk.

This time of year I really hate cotton woods. They are cool cuz they get huge/old but any amount of wind and they drop branches all over and the little fuzzies really piss me off.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:10 am

Can't remember the name of it, but I remember being about 16 and helping my buddy and his dad cut down a tree at their farm. Had thorns all over it. Words coming out of my buddies dad's mouth were hilarious

Hansen
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:50 am

Hate: Box Elder, weeping willow, cotton wood, Japanese liliac ( we have this small tree by the entrance to my garage . . . . messy tree constantly dropping seeds, flower, sticks, etc.)

Love: Bur Oak, Red Oak, shag bark hickory, hard maple.

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:51 pm

Balsam fit in the conifer category and basstardwood in the deciduous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:15 pm

I had what I believe was a honey locust in my yard. Thing rained sap like I’ve never seen and has real small leaves that got into everything.

Cottonwoods can suck it also. I loathe the cotton seed stuck in the line of my baitcasters while flipping docks n shorelines.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

get-n-birdy
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:42 pm

Least favorite in the yard, oaks and aspens.

Favorite for hunting, aspens and oaks, go figure.

D@m oaks hold the leaves till spring on some, whilst others drop late fall.

Aspens suck in the spring, crap gets in, on, under, through just about anything and everything.
DENNIS ANDERSON, Then, about five years ago, in 2020, there were no more ducks in the state,

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:03 am

I don't know what they are, some sort of Cedar. Russian Cedar maybe, I don't know, kind of a Juniper looking deal but annoying. But those effing things volunteer themselves like Buckthorn. They don't bother me when their little, but they effing get big and bushy and are a pain in the ass to chain saw.

However, the shavings from cutting them smell GREAT!

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:27 pm

Probably Eastern Red Cedar. It’s a native that thrives in the absence of fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”