Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Cranes

Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:43 am

Every year I'm amazed by how many more cranes there are. In East central MN if you pass some pasture or a hay field your going to see a pair with one or two young chasing and catching 'hoppers.

I know they're thick down to at least Sherburne NWR. How are their numbers in Ottertail and West central MN? How about SW? South central? Are guys down in Jackson County, or around Albert Lea seeing them too?
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Take-a-Gander
Mergie Marauder

Re: Cranes

Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:03 pm

Live in Mower county and no, not seeing any cranes here.......yet. They are coming back would not be surprised to see breeding pairs by next year.

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:47 pm

Some around meeker and Mcleod county but nothing I would consider “huntable”.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

get-n-birdy
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:27 pm

See 50-80 in the bean field behind the backyard daily. East central mn has a lot of them and every year it's more and more.
DENNIS ANDERSON, Then, about five years ago, in 2020, there were no more ducks in the state,

StuStiltman
Mergie Marauder

Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:00 am

Fish Felon wrote:Every year I'm amazed by how many more cranes there are. In East central MN if you pass some pasture or a hay field your going to see a pair with one or two young chasing and catching 'hoppers.

I know they're thick down to at least Sherburne NWR. How are their numbers in Ottertail and West central MN? How about SW? South central? Are guys down in Jackson County, or around Albert Lea seeing them too?

Don’t see them this time of year in my part of ottertail, I’ll see a pair here and there in west clay or Wilkin county, mostly along hwy 75, there may be more out past the tar roads that I’m not seeing. I don’t do much backroads driving in clay or Wilkins county’s, just try and pass thru them as fast as possible.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:04 am

Nesting pair between Brainerd and Garrison, fun to hear in the morning waking up in the tent.

Guessing if you shot them near the bog they nest on, the Lake Owner's Association would have you drug behind a speed boat tied to a rope by your ankles.

Stu, the only thing you CAN do is pass through the counties up there. Breckinridge has a couple stop signs I guess :-)

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:33 am

Carver Cty has nesting pairs now for the last 5 yrs. Never saw them here in the previous 50 yrs.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:05 am

Yesterday I saw 2 adults and 2 youngins down off of hwy 13 S of Prior lake in Scott Cty.

BTW, LOTS of water standing in the fields down that way... some roads had standing water on road surface.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”