emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Re: "Sandwich" generation

Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:11 pm

People suck...
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:03 pm

emptymag wrote:People suck...

I have my "drop out plan" ready.... not funded, but it's ready, and I can make it work doing odd jobs.

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:12 pm

All but one of my grandparents are gone. My mom and her 2 sisters take great care of my grandma who’s 96 and lives on her own yet. My mom and her sisters have the farm in their names. I’m an only child so I’ll be on my own with the parental care(their coming up on 70). They seem well and dad retired in his early 50’s but I’m not banking on anything. I’ve got 3 offspring of my own under the age of 6. Hoping to hang it up at 60, been putting 10+% a year in my 401.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:35 pm

“Sucky people” continue their needy behavior as long as others permit it. Tough love is necessary when common sense doesn’t work with them. Screw their constant whining! Either they learn to respect you or they can hit the road.
Been there and done it with mixed results, but kept my self respect through it all
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:26 pm

Hunting season will cure me. 60-some days left

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:05 pm

emptymag wrote:All but one of my grandparents are gone. My mom and her 2 sisters take great care of my grandma who’s 96 and lives on her own yet. My mom and her sisters have the farm in their names. I’m an only child so I’ll be on my own with the parental care(their coming up on 70). They seem well and dad retired in his early 50’s but I’m not banking on anything. I’ve got 3 offspring of my own under the age of 6. Hoping to hang it up at 60, been putting 10+% a year in my 401.

If you are able with work/interests you at all to more actively manage a trading account and you want to discuss, let me know. 401k's are great and all but the gains on those really lag and you are still part of the machine that pads others pockets. I've got one too but the account I actively trade blows the 401 outta the water. It's not that hard but you do have to be able to watch some

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:25 am

My Grandparents all either went pretty quickly and had their wits about them when they went with the exception of one grandmother that had Alzheimer's and dementia. My last grandparent was my maternal grandfather and he died in our kitchen at 91. Leading up to it he was the opposite of what lanyard's describing....the kids kept trying to take care of him, and eventually forced him into a home despite him not wanting to go. He'd actually sneak out from the old folks home and walk across town (bigger small town in Iowa) to his actual house, hang out, and his favorite....sneak his car out of the garage and go for a drive. My uncle thought it was both hilarious and sad that he had to sneak his own car out like he was a sixteen year old kid again....trying to pull a Ferris Bueller's Day Off or something.

So all the old people in my life have been fiercely independent until the end and I see my parents being the same. If they're not, and when they need it even if they are fiercely independent...I'll be there for them. I owe them that at the very least.

....and I might need to go online to vent it about it too at times.

What you're going through lanyard seems like it sucks but is relatively foreign to me. Obviously I know plenty of other people that are more like what you describe, and know some of that goes on in the extended family, which just had a reunion I missed....but I'm both out of the loop and shielded from whatever amount of it happens from my parents....who wouldn't have anything bad come out of their mouths if they were to be filled with shit....or however that expression goes.....
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:10 pm

My sister, the other sane person, was smart enough to move away. She lives in Texas. I'm jealous of her, daily.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:45 am

lanyard wrote: I am now Clark effing Griswold

Clark, I think you need to attend a Families Anonymous meeting.

They will teach you this:
cstemig wrote:“Sucky people” continue their needy behavior as long as others permit it. Tough love is necessary when common sense doesn’t work with them. Screw their constant whining! Either they learn to respect you or they can hit the road.
Been there and done it with mixed results, but kept my self respect through it all
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Big Doe Hunter
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:55 pm

I just heard the term 'sandwhich generation' the other day and had no clue what it meant.

My mom and I have joked for years that if my father gets dementia we are going to send him to live with my younger sister in California who was always his favorite. We'll send money with him of course.
get-n-birdy wrote:Remember, just because it's not legal doesn't mean you can't do it, there's just a fee if you get caught.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”