lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Bro-Culture

Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:06 pm

I'm not too engaged in things outside of my work , wife, kids. Reading the Bro-logy from the BOSS shells made me acutely aware of a couple things:

1) That there is a BOSS shells

2) That Bro is something I don't get, at all

Thinking back over the years the closest I recall were the "dudes". Sort of cool, sort of slick, cocky for reasons I never understood, and maybe had a decent quad parka from Columbia that was a bit too clean. There wasn't blogs, vlogs, YouTube, heavy metal home videos with ULTRA slow-mo kill shots, and you had to spend more on your camera equipment than hunting equipment to get 'effects' that any phone off the rack will give you today.

I'm guessing they listen to whatever is considered Country these days mixed with some sort of dramatic pop-Rock like Imagine Dragons. The Black Hoodie crowd has given way to Flat Bills. No logo can be designed that doesn't involve the skeletal depiction of game, and everyone needs to 'identify'. I assume tatoos are considered the cover charge for entry, a skeletal depiction of game getting you Premium Access.

I don't see in the young people I hunt with. My buddy's kid/friends are normal. One still shoots a pump and he's 28 making bank with a 'real' job. My kid doesn't have to be told to leave his phone in the truck, he just does it if we're hunting. If we're fishing he gives it to me so it's available for a picture. Never had to instruct it.

So, is the Bro-Deal just a small group that seems bigger because they "identify', in all of their purported individualism and "cowboy" they have created some sort of collection that earns mass via social media? Or is this the next wave? So, in 10 years when my kids is in his early 20s guys like the BOSS Bro's will be his outdoor idols, like Foiles to Fowler? Or is it simply an exaggerated 'stickers' phase that will pass as a fad to be replaced by some other, larger thing that I understand even less about.

I can't speak Bro. Hoping someone that speaks Man can shed some light on the Bro trend.

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Bro-Culture

Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:55 pm

It’s always been bad with waterfowl, social media just put a magnifying glass on it, and also rewards bro behavior. Waterfowling has been inherently douchey for a long time. Maybe it started with the black hoody gang, maybe it was before that. Now I see hoodies saying “we’re gonna be killing shit” but I think a lot of that is just childs play.

Brands like Sitka have made so much money off these Bros. Their marketing is incredible to make these dudes think need to look all the exact same in $500 jackets to hunt for 2 hours in the morning 150 yards from their trucks. Its truly incredible. And this is coming ing from someone who owns a Sitka Hudson jacket. (Barely an upgrade from my $100 Drake pullover). Sitka’s marketing team is worth every single penny they get paid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Re: Bro-Culture

Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:13 pm

I'm guessing they vape, too. Flavors like Cotton Candy. One of the Bro-Brands should have a waterfowl flavored vape line eventually.

Flavors like:
Burnt Powder
Gun Oil
Single Reed Weed
Greenhead

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:08 pm

I own no sitka and rarely wear flannel. I am shooting a 16ga this year, with boss shells in it. They hammer birds. I’m too young to have shot lead but these boss are legit. I did order something from Filson the other day. Don’t vape, use to smoke. I’m an old millennial. Maybe that’s why I’m confused? Not even sure what I’m confused about, bro.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:19 pm

I don't know that it's a millenial thing. The young guys I hunt with are millenials and they definitely ain't Bro. The Lululemon pants are plenty **** up, though......

With Bro, it's an attitude I can't describe. Slightly affected, sort of sad but not quite brooding. "Us against the ducks, or with the ducks, it's a blurred line....", like a force they want to turn away from, but can't...... and somehow it all exudes in a certain style. Hell, even their boats heading up/down 94 somehow identify as 'Bro'.

In my professional side I spend time in a variety of businesses. The ones I hate with a passion are "the true believers". The people/companies that think, somehow, if they didn't do their work the public would have to stop living, Armageddon would ensue, society would crumble. It's weird, because they have all of these competitors and like a 1% market share, but they THINK no one can do it "their way". Which might be right, but it doesn't mean anyone cares. And maybe that's my hang-up with Bros. They THINK their crowd couldn't go on without them. They are dramatic, drama creates a certain gravity. but when I look at it, I can't see it. In the true believers vernacular, it's because I don't believe.

No sh!t. With the Bro's, they're like some modern Holden Caufield in a duck blind sacrificing themselves to benefit the rest of us. So, maybe it's the effing drama that gets me wound up. People been killing ducks for 150 years pretty much the same way, but hell, now that the Bro's are here, sh!t got real.

The writing on the BOSS blog is somewhere between Giggalo and the guy selling name brand cologne knock-offs door to door in a dorm. Or maybe it's reverberating beat of referring to BOSSmen in the first person repeatedly. I dunno, it was just a thing that struck me as SO Bro. Like Bro estrus, but in a gallon jug. Curious: if you shoot the shells, is it contagious?

Maybe there's a Bro test, like "How Bro are You?"

Could maybe even just do it with a test on Trucker Hats:

Did you get your Trucker hat for free with a purchase, or did you pay for it?

If you paid for it, how much: <$25; $25-$50; >$50

Is the curve of your Trucker Hat bill: 0 - 10 degrees; 10-20 degrees; 20-30 degrees; >30 degrees

For the record, I wasn't slagging BOSS shells. They may be that good and worth the price. But the Bro Boss Drama, sort of made me throw up in my mouth a bit.

hobbydog
Mergie Marauder

Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:38 pm

I am older than anyone on here ....even fowler (BTW, where did he go) and you all sound like Bro's to me. At least some of the time. 8-)

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Bro-Culture

Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:43 pm

I do find the “us vs the ducks” mentality kind of interesting when it’s taken to extreme.

For example I saw a “clear the skies waterfowl” window sticker across a truck in the metro. I’m just curious... what r u gonna do after you clear the skies? Like... you cleared the skies.... so what else is there to shoot? “We gotta clear the skies boys! Sick of seeing all these damn waterfowl blocking my view!”

Reminds me a lot of that Chris Brackett cocksucker that wore shirts that said “fear no evil” on them. Dude... what evil do you plan on encountering in the woods?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:34 pm

Odd thing is, one guy and his kid do something like 70%+ of waterfowl marketing. I just read an article on them some where. It’s a guy and his kid. Kujos(ap) is the last name. They do rig em right, benelli, boss shot shells, under armpit and possibly sitka.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:34 pm

Cue the music! .... “He’s an old hippie and he don’t know what to do....”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:35 pm

Maybe all this R3 bs will take hold and the black hoody to flat bill fads will transition to gangsta/brutha fads!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”