Quack
Mergie Marauder

Need a meal for goose camp

Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:24 pm

I’m going on a honker/mallard field hunting trip. I know the host reasonably well as acquaintances go, but I know nothing of his eating habits or anyone else who’s going.

I was told to plan one night’s dinner. I’m thinking there’ll be 4-6 mouths each night.

I do know the host doesn’t like potatoes (wtf?!)

Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Re: Need a meal for goose camp

Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:53 pm

Shepherds pie

Edit: my bad, no potatoes

Breakfast for dinner. Eggs, breakfast sausage, French toast...
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:58 pm

Tacos?

Our boss made us dinner at work the other day. White chicken Chile. White rice n jalapeño bed covered with pulled/seasoned chicken topped with shredded cheese and crackers
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:46 pm

Chili, specifically goose chili would be my recommendation. I brought some on one of my goose hunts with 8-others. I made it in a large stock pot & covered it with foil & duct tape. Good to go for a couple of days in cool weather. Serve it over Fritos & sprinkle onions & cheese. You will have marriage proposals.

PM me if you want the recipe.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:27 pm

Turkey.

It's cheap if you buy a small bird, and easy to cook. Have it thawed and stuffed in a cooler....throw it in the oven before scouting or the evening hunt, and get high fives once everyone gets back and walks in to smell that bird done roasting. Leftovers are great, serve with an easy vegetable and dinner rolls....Turkey is the shit and from my experience any time you serve it for dinner outside of Thanksgiving people get really excited and think it's bad ass....since they've only ever had it for special occasions---thus making every time it's served a special occasion.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:28 pm

Spaghetti/meatballs and garlic bread are always cheap, easy, and for some reason is really satisfying after a cold day of hunting

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:08 am

If you go with something you're making/cooking/baking, have a crock pot chili on before you go out so there's hot food ready for appetizer and beer while you prep the rest of the meal. Guys can grab it on their own as the get settled.

Had a big group in NoDak one time, brought my full size Weber along, that proved quite popular. An easy BBQ grill meal is steak fajitas. Grill up some flank steak to MR, sauteed the veg and though everything out on the table.

I learned early on: guys do NOT give a sh!t if they get out cooked on a hunting/fishing trip....

..... some, however, will take it personal, however, if you school them at their own house.....

Stute Slap
Mergie Marauder

Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:29 am

For an easy meal tacos are hard to beat, you can make the meat before hand.

If you have a smoker or a good rib recipe you can make a bunch of ribs, then just reheat on grill to get a little char while reheating. The negative it will cost you a lot of cheese as ribs are spendy these days.

GK1
Coot Commander

Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:45 am

Beer, bourbon and nuke some pizza rolls and weiners. You goose hunting or touring wine country? Does your husband hunt too?

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:11 pm

GK1 wrote:Beer, bourbon and nuke some pizza rolls and weiners. You goose hunting or touring wine country? Does your husband hunt too?

Perfect menu if you're drinking Natty Ice and Rich-n-Rare..... Or the type that Fukcs up your whiskey with Coke.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”