lanyard
Mergie Marauder

DA Calls for end to YWD

Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:41 pm

In today's STrib Dennis Anderson calls out the DNR to stop YWD (now 2 days).

It's a constant rehash, but since he also calls for the end of early goose over water I think it's on balance.

I know people like the concept of YWD as a day for the kids, and I know people like FF prize those memories. Having participated with my son in the Youth Deer Hunt over MEA, I completely get the appeal.

However, YWD has had zero advantage on recruitment of new hunters, at least as demonstrated by the continuing decline in hunter numbers and stamp sales. Adding a 2nd day won't make for higher participation nor will it increase the number of new hunters..... 2 x 0 is still 0.

The difference I see between YWD and YDH: Waterfolwing is typically done in a pair or small group with the hunters in communication with each other. Deer hunting tends to be, in my experience, more solitary and the shortness of the season puts more pressure on getting the deer ASAP vs duck hunting which can be tailored to weather, multiple trip options, etc.

I would tend to prefer a Teal season vs an all species YWD. But as of yet I haven't figured out how to get paid for having opinions regarding the outdoors, so DA and the DNR staff have me on that one.

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Re: DA Calls for end to YWD

Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:02 pm

Good info. I’m with you for ending the YWD. IMO, it seemed like a good idea when it started, but the end results does not justify keeping it going.

I’m in favor of an early Teal season as well. Hopefully the DNR gods will smile on us mere mortals and make it happen.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:57 pm

lanyard wrote:and I know people like FF prize those memories.

Haha! I really don't. I'm all for the abolition of YWD.

Eventually DA comes around to logic and reason. He typically tries to pass it off as being a "revolutionary" idea despite being a decade behind, but at least he comes around sometimes....
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:24 am

After 24 years of Youth Waterfowl Hunting and seeing a decline of hunters and not attracting new hunters would the State of Mn decide to expand it to 2 days for Youth season and think this is why it hasn't worked in the last 23 years......it's almost comical.....
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:29 am

I’m probably the most lenient on the DNR on this site but I’m really not impressed with their decision to have a weekend long YWD and add ages 16-17.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Stute Slap
Mergie Marauder

Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:21 am

lanyard wrote:In today's STrib Dennis Anderson calls out the DNR to stop YWD (now 2 days).

It's a constant rehash, but since he also calls for the end of early goose over water I think it's on balance.

I know people like the concept of YWD as a day for the kids, and I know people like FF prize those memories. Having participated with my son in the Youth Deer Hunt over MEA, I completely get the appeal.

However, YWD has had zero advantage on recruitment of new hunters, at least as demonstrated by the continuing decline in hunter numbers and stamp sales. Adding a 2nd day won't make for higher participation nor will it increase the number of new hunters..... 2 x 0 is still 0.

The difference I see between YWD and YDH: Waterfolwing is typically done in a pair or small group with the hunters in communication with each other. Deer hunting tends to be, in my experience, more solitary and the shortness of the season puts more pressure on getting the deer ASAP vs duck hunting which can be tailored to weather, multiple trip options, etc.

I would tend to prefer a Teal season vs an all species YWD. But as of yet I haven't figured out how to get paid for having opinions regarding the outdoors, so DA and the DNR staff have me on that one.

Did he get a deer?

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:18 pm

Stute Slap wrote:
lanyard wrote:In today's STrib Dennis Anderson calls out the DNR to stop YWD (now 2 days).

Did he get a deer?

Ha! No. Whiffed on a fawn. He was a little quick on his shot :-)

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:54 pm

Not related but I wish they’d get rid of the 9 am start time for pheasant hunting, or atleast change it to 8 after daylight savings. There’s no real biological reason it. I get that it’s at 9 for businesses, but the people who wanna drink and have fun instead of hunt can still do that whether the start time is sunrise or 9. People should be able to choose for themselves when they wanna hunt if there’s no major adverse effect on the pheasant population because of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:54 pm

For whatever people hated about Landwhere at least he moved some biblical "that's how we do it MN" bull shite...... I'm all for moving the pheasant hunting earlier. Hell, be different. Go we 1/2 hour AFTER sunrise.

9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:03 pm

lanyard wrote:For whatever people hated about Landwhere at least he moved some biblical "that's how we do it MN" bull shite...... .

Not that many years ago people were praising him for bringing on the split season framework, the early shooting hours on opening day, not pushing the early Teal season pretty much did him in................

.......and I liked the split season when it first came out, 1 week, this southern zone 12 days off now for frozen water at end of season makes no sense......
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”