lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Deer Hunting

Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:00 am

Since it's a week away and Felon's post got me peaked a bit:

What's the split on everyone's deer style? I'm a rifle guy, born and bred. Trying to get into archery. Deer hunting is the one thing I seem most tradition bound by. Until around 2014 I hunted my stands on average about 7 years. If we include this upcoming season I'll have had 3 stand locations in past 5, and it's pissing me off. Depending on success, I will likely hunt 2 different permit areas.

30.06 by default. First rifle was my grandpa's 7mm Mauser, but that got retired when the old man had picked-up a bolt action 30.06 that a guy we golfed with won at a DU banquet..... My deer rifle has a DU medallion embedded in the stock.

Started out hunting public, then owned some land which we sold when my dad passed away as it was easier to deal with probate. Miss that place. Hunting public sucks more for deer hunting than ducks. Laugh my ass off when people get pissed about someone coming out from the landing at 10 minutes after first light..... try that in the deer woods on a crisp and crunchy fall day.

For all the logic of why NOT to own your hunting property, it's pretty effing sweet when you do. But then some ass hat deer herd owner kicks off CWD in your permit area.......

9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Re: Deer Hunting

Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:49 am

Gave up the slug hunting quite a few years ago, started duck hunting that weekend and had great success, last couple years not so much, drove out and checked the slough we usually hunt and it was locked up tight, thinking I might buy a slug license and head out next weekend now the way it's looking, only archery hunt late in the year.....shooting a deer now is not as important as it once was.....
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

prairie hunter
Coot Commander

Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:01 am

I saw 6 different bucks (fork to 10 point) on public land in SW MN in an afternoon and following morning of walking. Two bucks got up at my feet.

Saw a couple more driving around dawn to 9AM. Kinda lost count on does and fawns.

Not sure how easy it would be to hunt these deer since most areas were just grass and cattail areas.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:10 am

Was a hardcore archery guy til my eye stuff... would go almost every single afternoon Oct 25-nov 30. Still working on a solution to enable me to go again whether it's left handed or crossbow permit. Will have to be my #1 goal for next fall cause not going 2 years has killed me a lil inside.

I've slug hunted in SE mn 20+ years. Something I used to really look forward to, as I got into archery started to hate it. It's so friggin dangerous down there I seriously dread going. Hate it. I used to go almost the whole season...now I just hunt the weekends and GTFO.

Only a matter of time before we lose rights to private land for free down there...lot of memories with Dad and family friends...so I at least try to make the most of it while we can. I'm thinking at most we'll have 5-10 years left down there. Then? I dunno hunt up at the cabin where there's no deer I guess probably

Stute Slap
Mergie Marauder

Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:40 am

I go out but don't really shoot anything, by choice. If a monster walks by I'd shoot it, otherwise I don't want to get bloody. In slug zone, so now I shoot a Remington 700 ultimate muzzle loader with a scope. They claim 300 yard accuracy but I can go to 200 with a 150 zero with like 1.5' drop at 200 so not really gonna mess with 300 yards. I hunt with that gun for slug and muzzle loader now that scopes are legal for muzzle loader.

Some nice bucks on camera but all nocturnal

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:01 am

maplelakeduckslayer wrote:...... It's so friggin dangerous down there I seriously dread going. Hate it. I used to go almost the whole season...

Hunted Wisconsin, once. Got invites back the next few following years, but after the cluster phuck clown show of slugs whizzing AT YOU, 14-20 people assholes and elbows every time brown flashed... I like my head and balls exactly where they are located now.

Do Wisconsin Deer Hunters get shot as much as MN Duck Hunters swamp their boats? Or is it like in the accident, the sober person dies but the drunk person walks away without a scratch?

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:06 am

I’ve been bowhunting. This is the only buck that excites me, but I’ll shoot about anything, buck or doe and feel good about it. I’ll probably shoot about anything I see at this point.

For gun season I’m gonna use an AR Pistol in .300 BLK since I’m in a shotgun zone. I’m basically a high speed, low drag operator so why not, but really I’m just a larper fighting against the communist deer invaders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:41 am

Grew up bow and muzzle loader hunting. Still do both. I've never hunted MN gun season. I've been on some western hunts and we would always go the week of MN gun season. I got my buck almost a month ago, glad to be gone. I might just work both weekends of gun season, safer indoors, in town.

All the stories from everyone at work and some relatives gets beyond old. No one hunts the wind, they all get drunk, don't sight in guns, show up late and leave early. Of all the people I know that deer hunt, one guy and his dad take it seriously. They generally shoot nice deer then everyone is confused, jealous and pissed that they shoot nice deer.

Orange boots, gloves, coveralls, bibs.....F'n stooopid

Just remember, we live in a state where a guy shot a horse with some one riding on it.

Laugh my ass off everytime.

MN gun hunters.....
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

HnkrCrash
Mergie Marauder

Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:24 pm

Fortunate that nearly all of my relatives farm, so never have to worry about places to hunt. We are in slug zone, and that’s all I’ve ever done. I’ve hunted the same stand on my grandparents farm since I’ve been 14 years old and shoot a deer every single year out of it, several years multiples and almost always bucks. It’s on the edge of a 70 yard tree line that connects two 60 acre wood lots and crops on either side. The deer travel that treeline like a freeway. Some cidiot neighbors bought the farm next door a few years back though and have ruined the woods. They put a stand in the main bedding area with no good way to get to it. I used to be done in less than a half hour most years, but now, if they are in that stand essentially nobody in the whole woods gets shooting. When they aren’t there, we’ll shoot deer again...weird.

My parents also had 2 parcels of hunting/investment land in the Alexandria area for about a decade and hunted those quite a bit as well. My dad shot some huge bucks off those properties and it wasn’t uncommon to see 30-50 deer at a time in some of our food plots. Sadly they sold them a few years back although it was the reason they bought them in the first place.

Skipping my grandparents spot opening weekend and hunting the inlaws land near Redwood Falls for the first time ever which consists of wooded bluffs in the Minnesota River valley. They are selling it after the season and figured I’d lend a hand in killing every deer off the property. Will be interesting.
"The less I know about other people's affairs, the happier I am. I'm not interested in caring about people."
- Ron Swanson

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:24 pm

I do not deer hunt. I did the opener in like 1992 or 93, for four days. Didn't really care for it. Haven't done it since. Not much intetests me less. I'm just not into big game, and i'm probably the worst shot ever with a single projectile. It's actually a little embarassing!
Dominate The Skies.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”