Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Re: Ron Schara

Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:06 am

"The only answer I could come up with: Minnesota Hunters and Fishers are less than mediocre."

This is a very accurate statement.

I got no problems with Ron Schara. Them other guys...I don't know about. I was never into reading newspapers and such.
Dominate The Skies.

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:28 am

get-n-birdy wrote:Gary Clancy?

You are oh so right! My “old timers” had me confuse the Clancy writers.

Unfortunately Gary Clancy died several years ago from cancer, thought to be from Agent Orange.

Wade Bourne also died a couple years back from heart issues.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:22 am

get-n-birdy wrote:Gary Clancy?

Heh, yep.

Funny thing is: I've read more Gary Clancy, I've never read Tom Clancy.

Gary Clancy had an article once about coming out of the woods with grouse in his vest and meeting another set of hunters at the parking lot who said something like, "Grouse must be in the low cycle this year, been some tough hunting."

Clancy's article was basically, "Well WTF do you expect when you roll in at 9:00 after breakfast. Shoot birds, then eat. Greenhorns".

Schara's writing strikes me as the view of the guys Clancy ran into. The forever "should of been here yesterday" crowd.

I DID like MN Bound. That had more to do with experience activities that has better Harmony with Schara's personality.

I've just not been able to transfer that persona to the hook and bullet side in a way that makes him a hunting brand, as a writer.

I miss McManus. When I was a kid, the back inside cover was the first place I'd go.

Welcome to the extent of my mid-life crisis. Rather than a Corvette, I'll be out buying classic editions of Outdoor Life and Field & Stream.

randywatson
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:24 am

i work with Gary's daughter. She carries on her dad's hunting and fishing traditions. He was one of the best. Always looked forward to his articles in the postbulletin and outdoor news. I think they bought a parcel of land south of Mankato in his honor.

With all the crying about outdoor writers recently on here, I think one or 2 of you could pick up the typewriter and get to work.
Women with whiskers.....that's a bummer

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:32 am

randywatson wrote:i work with Gary's daughter. She carries on her dad's hunting and fishing traditions. He was one of the best. Always looked forward to his articles in the postbulletin and outdoor news. I think they bought a parcel of land south of Mankato in his honor.

With all the crying about outdoor writers recently on here, I think one or 2 of you could pick up the typewriter and get to work.

So, do something about it? Be part of the solution rather than b!itching about it? It's 2019, this is the only way I have to fit in :lol:

I sent a fiction piece to Gray's that wasn't what they were looking. It's a decent piece that I should send to other publications. Have had articles published in business trade publications. Suppose I could turn the pen in another direction, challenge I see more now is the number of forums that have any interest in long pieces is pretty much dead. The longest read I've seen in awhile was an EXCELLENT piece in Outdoor News about Gordon Macquarrie and an exhibit in NW Wisconsin. It was a "Feature". Maybe I've missed more like that. Would be interesting if Outdoor News modified their weekly a bit so that the 2nd or 3rd publication of the month had a differentiated feature that was a longer read.

Most articles are built on the "30 second elevator pitch". Last time I had, I think it was Field and Stream, I don't think anything went over a full page. If it made it across the fold that space was taken up by sponsors of the subject: so, something like "Is Non-Tox Right for You" would have left and right columns locked with bookend Kent advertisements.

The push now is to be multi-media. The market is hyper fractionalized and lacks any significant distribution points. If titles can't be "click baited", they don't get traffic.

I wonder if guys like Borne, Anderson, Schara have the same conversations. The pressure to turn out work, to keep the engine running, might mean they aren't all that satisfied with the work anymore, but it's the beast they know and it keeps the cash flowing. Like Emeril with BAM and cheap ass pots and pans with his name on it. At some point your brand is transcendent of you, the person. Easy for me to poke daggers from my recliner. I'm pretty familiar with being identified with your brand after owning my own company. It's insane how people make your story what they want it to be. Learning to roll with that is really effing difficult, and learning to be something else to people after that's done takes a really, really long time.

get-n-birdy
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:57 am

Gary Clancy left a hole for a lot of people. They truly missed his writing and the personality he brought to it, the genuineness.

Wtf is really going to miss DA or RS's writing style? They are plain white bread vanilla writers. You feel no emotion and yawn when you're done reading them. To afraid of being politically correct or piss off a sponsor.
DENNIS ANDERSON, Then, about five years ago, in 2020, there were no more ducks in the state,

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:15 am

I know a guy that does some Outdoor writing. I don't wonder if there isn't a market for a direct mail print piece with less articles but more thought. Gray's started as an answer to the same question in the mid-80s.... writing had devolved into 'how to'. I don't see the market being served by another article on where to stick your deer stand with the same graphic of does/fawns on one trail coming to the field, bucks on another, and the stand at the pinch point.

We're sitting on the internets feuding like the Hatfield's and McCoy's.... maybe it's time to get back to the basics of life.....

Stute Slap
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:01 pm

Drunk_Dynasty wrote:My only memories with outdoors guys is giving Al Linder the downward head nod passing him in an isle in the Brainerd fleet farm and him pretending he didn’t see so he wouldn’t have to acknowledge said downward head nod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dude you should have went with a quick, up head nod. It's like "what up Al Linder?" style.

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:26 pm

Stute Slap wrote:[quote="Drunk_Dynasty"]My only memories with outdoors guys is giving Al Linder the downward head nod passing him in an isle in the Brainerd fleet farm and him pretending he didn’t see so he wouldn’t have to acknowledge said downward head nod

Dude you should have went with a quick, up head nod. It's like "what up Al Linder?" style.[/quote]

I went with the head down nod cause I was trying to be like “I recognize who u are but I don’t wanna talk”

You’re right, maybe the head up nod would have conveyed that message better.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:42 pm

Lanyard and felon both seem to have the writing skills to be an outdoor columnist. Although you two might bitch a little too much to make it.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”