Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Re: S MN split Rant

Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:26 pm

get-n-birdy wrote:Make it a 100 day, 10 bird season then we don't have to worry about it. In 10 years there'll be so few guys waterfowl hunting in Minnesota, season length and limits will be cute little asterisks that really won't mean much. You could make the daily limit a bakers dozen at 13 and most mn guys would still shoot 8 birds for the season. A daily limit seems idiotic for a state that averages 2 more birds per year, per guy than a daily limit.

No way the feds/USFWS would allow that.

I agree with you on the daily bag limit. The average hunter in MN averages a little over a duck an outing....as on somewhere between 1.1 to 1.3 ducks per outing, at least that's in the ballpark of what it used to be ten, maybe fifteen years ago. I haven't kept up with what the current figures are.....

With that being said, you could raise the limit to twenty and it'd make next to no difference in the overall total harvest.....since the vast majority of guys rarely shoot a limit.....hell, even approach shooting a half a limit.

That's why what matters much more than anything in correlating hunting seasons to amount of harvest = days allowed for hunters to go afield.

It'll be interesting to see how the feds handle, or don't handle, the decline in hunter numbers.

So far harvests have stayed remarkably about the same.

Something seems off in the overall picture.

Declining hunter numbers + declining duck numbers = somehow equals harvest amounts still at or near all-time highs
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

get-n-birdy
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:52 pm

Fish Felon wrote:So far harvests have stayed remarkably about the same.

Declining hunter numbers + declining duck numbers = somehow equals harvest amounts still at or near all-time highs

This is what I've thought for years.

If you get a piece of paper, a calculator and spend some time looking into those numbers, nothing really makes sense or seems to fit.

The average annual harvest per hunter has stayed stagnant, hunter numbers have dropped drastically, yet we still harvest x number of birds for the state, how does that work? Unless guys like Al, Luke L, Gimp, Franny, Bullet and that Mr Lee guy skew the numbers cause they shoot limits over all 3 zones for 60 days plus a year.

They seem to make ch!t up as they go.
DENNIS ANDERSON, Then, about five years ago, in 2020, there were no more ducks in the state,

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:15 pm

https://migbirdapps.fws.gov/

I haven’t looked around in here and don’t have the time too.

This is the link on my envelopes that I send in with the duck wings in them.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:01 pm

get-n-birdy wrote:

If you get a piece of paper, a calculator and spend some time looking into those numbers, nothing really makes sense or seems to fit.

The average annual harvest per hunter has stayed stagnant, hunter numbers have dropped drastically, yet we still harvest x number of birds for the state, how does that work? Unless guys like Al, Luke L, Gimp, Franny, Bullet and that Mr Lee guy skew the numbers cause they shoot limits over all 3 zones for 60 days plus a year.

Where is mr Lee these days. That guy was the king of marsh lake.

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:24 pm

Bailey wrote:
get-n-birdy wrote:

Where is mr Lee these days. That guy was the king of marsh lake.

I thought he was running the mallard club/rice farm by palisade? It got bought out last year but they kept him on to run things.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:10 am

Last edited by Bullet21XD on Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dominate The Skies.

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:12 am

Mr Lee still runs the farming and wetland bank operations, but has nothing to do with the hunting anymore.

As for skewing the numbers, I only get 0-10 ducks every year, in every state I hunt. I kinda suck at hunting.
Dominate The Skies.

randywatson
Mergie Marauder

Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:09 am

Geese are here in Roch now. Thousands pouring into one of my fields. f9ckin work and kids and deer opener
Women with whiskers.....that's a bummer

Hansen
Mergie Marauder

Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:43 am

Well I think the big push number 3 will be a bust. I guess a bunch of birds pushed in last night, gone today? I saw a few hundred ringers on bush lake in Bloomington last night. This morning is was 1/3 frozen, with those ringers still holding out. Not sure much will be open after tonight and 15 degrees again other than prior lake and rivers.

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:11 pm

I just talked to a dnr guy in Nicollet. He said the swan lake refuge has no ducks and hunting is poor. Man has that place gone downhill.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”