Quack
Mergie Marauder

Party hunting for deer

Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:47 pm

I don’t come from a deer hunting family. I’ve mostly hunted by myself over the years but I’ve started hunting with a buddy who is a genuinely great guy.

He arrowed a nice buck so I was thinking I had the gun season to myself. However, he mentioned wanting to party hunt with me.

I’m trying to be cool with it but there’s definitely a part of me that wants him to back off, at least for opening weekend.

Are there any customs or traditions like, “hey man, thanks for letting me use your buck tag, here’s $40 to cover the cost”

Or anything else like that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kwackkillncrew
Sour Toe Connoisseur

Re: Party hunting for deer

Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:56 pm

I only deer hunted with my dad so all the meat always went to us. Up here you cant party hunt but when my buddy and i go out we always share all the meat no matter what we get (unwritten rule we just go by, fishing or hunting). If i party hunted with some one down there other then my dad i would assume that if the other guy shot 2 i would still get half the meat. I dont think i would care about the 40$ as long as we split the meat in half. If you want to hunt opener solo just give your balls a tug and tell him that.
official sour toe member number 52,814

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:11 pm

IMO, it is about the experience YOU want. Sometimes sharing it can be fun & rewarding, other times it is more fun to be alone.
Not sure how important the meat is to you or him; that can always be worked out.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:22 pm

I shot my deer with a bow a few weeks back. I was invited to some friends hunting camp. They deer hunt, pheasant hunt and chase ducks. I told them right a way I’ll push stuff for deer, but I’m mostly there for moral support and to drink.

Mostly drink.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:08 am

I wasn’t looking for advice on my own situation as much as I was just curious if any deer camps have customary gratitude for coughing up a license.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:15 am

Other than maybe my own kid at a young age, there is not a person that could talk me into tagging a buck for them. We're a 1 buck state and often I take that right down to the wire. That said I'm guessing if you poll'd 100 deer camps across the state, you'd get almost that many different answers. Bottom line is it's your tag, you control the situation.... if you don't want someone burning your buck tag don't....

MN is also in the stone ages with the party hunting laws. Most states in 2019 don't allow it.

randywatson
Mergie Marauder

Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:47 am

can cross tag bucks down here in SE for the 1st time in a few years. with being able to shoot 3 bucks down here this year with 3 different weapons (gayest thing since CBD oil) cross tagging is probably the norm. Im guessing every group is different and discussions are made the night before over busch lattes. party hunting and deer drives are a great way to pile up the bodies.

growing up in SW MN and hunting cedar mountain and parts around Lamberton it was a rule that if a kid (12-15 yr old) is in the group they shoot their deer with their tag. If you were over 16 then anyone could fill your tag. meat hunters want meat they dont care about hurt feelings.
Women with whiskers.....that's a bummer

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:17 am

I’m not giving my tag for anyone. No way. Somebody shoots one too many deer that’s on them.

The party hunting really needs to go away tho. I know way too many guys that will shoot a buck on their aunties, girlfriends grandmas, and best friend who doesn’t hunt tags. Not sure ending party hunting would solve that but when u have guys who will
Shoot a smaller buck then continually look to trade up all season with a fresh tag, that can’t be helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:26 am

We've never had any issues with party hunting, but this is from a direct result of never shooting enough deer where guys needed to use other guy's tags.

Knowing how most guys are......they'd be cool with keeping the rack, even a small one, and letting the guy who's tag they shot it on keep the meat.

You bring up a good point though---if someone invited me to a concert or game and the ticket I was using cost the same as a regular gun deer tag?

It'd be a huge dick move to not expect to cover the cost of the ticket. Unless they were corporate seats or some shit where the dude didn't have to pay out of pocket for them.

One year I drew the only doe tag for our party of ten that year....no one else even put in for the lottery....AKA "bought their license" for the same unit they've hunted for twenty-plus-years prior to September.

Obviously there weren't a lot of deer that year but one guy that always claims to see a bunch said he had thirty does walk by his stand. I was like, "WTF Man!? Why didn't you shoot one!?!?" since I told everyone I had a doe tag and my deal was that I'd split the meat with anyone who filled my tag....so shoot away. I made it real clear...crystal meth clear....that I would gladly make rounds to guy's stands and take turns gutting, dragging out, and running does back to the cabin in the event two or three hit the ground opening morning......

.....wishful thinking on my part.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:19 am

On the flipside, if I ended up using someone else's tag....one of the guys that only hunts opening weekend....and often times they've just left their tags before going home since they're not going to need them.

Hypothetically:

I shoot a deer Sunday afternoon and they're about to hit the road?

I wouldn't feel bad with making sure they wound up with 10lbs of burger and a few choice packages of butterflied backstrap steaks for their troubles. I'd feel like they got full use out of their tag by hunting the weekend they always only hunt, and I covered any obligation I had.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”