Stute Slap
Mergie Marauder

Re: Texas Church Shooting

Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:48 am

Stute Slap wrote:
Drunk_Dynasty wrote:Watched the vid several times. Happened so damn fast. First dude is a hero even tho he just ate a blast. Should have stayed seated cause he just made himself a target when he stood up. Def makes me think I’d rather have a gun on my hip and nowhere else. Of course I’m just armchair QB’ing here. I felt bad for the first two guys but the game was already rigged against them. Best you can hope for at that point is a recently cleared browser history.

I guess the boomer with the big iron was well trained, but even still, to just draw and dome check a guy with one shot? Impressive. I guess he had a Sig 229 in .357 Sig.

Mess with gods hour, get the sig sauer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Great quote. I always said if I am stumbling into the ER on death's door step as I approach the help desk my last act will be to pull out my cell phone and spike it into the floor just in case I don't make it.

And that old dude just yanking his gat and putting a hole in the head of guy blasting away with a shotgun??? Ice water in his veins, f'ing badass. He should be in the next Bossman ad.

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:09 am

I carry in church every Sunday. When I first obtained my permit it was more for convenience. In the last 10yrs with what society has become I seldom leave the house without it....

emptymag...... I suspect I have a similar frame as you and had a tough time coneventioanlly hiding my G19. I snagged a M&P shield and it has been a sweetheart of a little pistol especially for the $$

shnelson
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:33 am

It has definitely made me reconsider my 'leave it at home more than not' habit. Carrying can be a pain in the ass and takes a lot of time & effort to be proficient with. If it is not something you practice and develop good habits, it will be a far bigger liability than an asset on many levels.

Watched the video over and over. First guy was definitely critical in this being stopped as quickly as it was, and who knows if being more proficient with his draw could have kept him alive. Carrying Small-of-Back was a huge disadvantage for sure, probably just as useless as ankle or pocket carry in this case. He might have been better off charging the guy with focus on pushing the muzzle out of the way & hoping enough others would follow suit after recognizing what was going on. Easy to speculate & tough to know how anyone would actually react though. The perp looked like he flinched on the first attempt at a shot but fumbled with the safety.

Biggest take away for me is to push situational awareness and encourage family members to do the same. Doesn't matter where - movies, restaurant, church, a trip to the grocery store or hell, even just commuting these days. Trust that spidey sense in your gut. We as humans have this strange social tendency to allow ourselves to be a victim rather than possibly offend someone & that mindset needs to change. If someone or something seems off, you don't necessarily need to be a hero - but you'd be doing yourself and loved ones a favor by at least making an effort to put some distance between yourself and whatever it is.

For those who carry, something like USPSA is huge. You don't have to be a gamer, just the repetition of movement, scored shot placement and stress of the timer is instrumental. At the very least, take some training beyond the CCW classes that will qualify just about anyone.

Also, Left of Bang is a pretty good read and relevant to this topic.

Take-a-Gander
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:43 pm

shnelson is spot on, having a CCW doesn’t mean much if you don’t practice for different scenarios
I have taken a tactical citizens class which has helped but still not sure how I would react if push comes to shove.

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:54 pm

I had to look this shooting up, man that’s hard to watch.

The different reactions of people in the crowd is remarkable. Some women dove to the floor and scream. There’s one older guy who just sits there the whole time watching.

Tough to know how you’d react.

Really thinking of trading in the glock 17 for a 48 so that I’ll carry more often.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:31 pm

Stute Slap wrote:Scary shit. I think about it every time I go, like Quack said when I see a single male new guy who looks kinda weird my antenna goes up. Nice thing is a Glock 42 fits nicely in a coat pocket but what scares me is my lack of accuracy with that little gun, the shooter would have to be close. I can't hit shit with a hang gun to start with.

These guys had balls, can't even front that I could do the same in that situation.

According to people who are way more educatores in gun fighting than me, handguns are meant for fights at arm-length or fighting your way to a long gun, so I wouldn’t worry too much about accuracy past 15 yards. I am no expert on the topic by any means and I am open to correction.

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:53 pm

Drunk_Dynasty wrote:
Stute Slap wrote:Scary shit. I think about it every time I go, like Quack said when I see a single male new guy who looks kinda weird my antenna goes up. Nice thing is a Glock 42 fits nicely in a coat pocket but what scares me is my lack of accuracy with that little gun, the shooter would have to be close. I can't hit shit with a hang gun to start with.

These guys had balls, can't even front that I could do the same in that situation.

According to people who are way more educatores in gun fighting than me, handguns are meant for fights at arm-length or fighting your way to a long gun, so I wouldn’t worry too much about accuracy past 15 yards. I am no expert on the topic by any means and I am open to correction.

Correct.

There have also been many papers/books/documents and whatever else written about the wounding vs death of a handgun. The correlation to caliber and bullet weight.

Don’t quote me but something like 90% of people shot with a handgun live.

The best “one shot stopper” is a 357 with 125gr bullet.

I would guess some more loads would fall under this category now a days, 10mm and 357 sig both with lighter weight bullets come to mind.

Speed stops.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:21 am

Situational awareness is a major key to survival these days. Being able to identify and possibly avoid a threat is critical. If that fails, then practiced skills come into play.

IMO, if you accept the responsibility to carry, then you need to practice on a regular basis. You need to be able to hit your target routinely. Anything less, and you may compromise the situation by not effectively stopping the threat or by harming bystanders. The use of premium ammo is also essential. I load my stuff with either Hornaday Critical Defense or Critical Duty.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:07 pm

Why not carry?

Will you ever regret carrying and never having to use your piece?

A: Highly doubtful
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:02 pm

I haven't since eye surgery...not sure how I feel about the added liability. Although added liability vs taking a shot in the chest is probably a worthwhile trade-off. I just haven't done it. Maybe a 2020 resolution, start carrying again

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”