Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

A Hundred Years Ago

Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:56 am

Weird how I haven't seen any news stories covering the significance of what happened a century ago as of midnight.

100 years ago (1920)

Constitutional prohibition – the dream of reformers for more than a century – goes into effect nationwide at one minute after midnight tonight. A force of 1,400 special agents will enforce the law, known as the Volstead Act. Brainerd, being in Indian treaty territory, has been dry for several years.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Re: A Hundred Years Ago

Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:42 pm

I was thinking about the 18th amendment this fall. Not sure why but I linked it to the early beginnings of Minnesota’s stupidity thinking the govt/elites/libs know better than the rest of us and don’t mind regulating us to prove it. Like the teal season prohibition, other unique waterfowl regs, and high taxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:04 pm

How we went from the Boston Tea Party to the current state of affairs is beyond me.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

hobbydog
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:08 pm

I had no idea Stearns County was a bootleg hotspot in the midwest and Minnesota 13 was high quality shine. This documentary aired last month. Did you know the Catholic church in Avon was built with proceeds of bootleged whiskey? If your from Stearns county you may know of some of the people in the documentary.

https://www.tpt.org/minnesota-experienc ... ass-36132/

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:46 pm

Yep, had done a little reading on MN and prohibition couple years back...interesting to find and read stuff. Anyone know if there's any books that document it well? Be kinda cool to have

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:30 am

I read a book a few years ago called “John Dillinger Slept here”

It was all about the crime scene in St Paul during the roaring 20s. Gangsters from Chicago and all over the Midwest were granted sanctuary in St Paul as long as they didn’t commit crimes in St Paul.

So they partied in St Paul and held up banks, kidnapped rich people, and caused trouble outside the state. Some of them liked to fish in northern MN and Northern WI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:12 am

Thanks...ya I read voyageurs was a major hangout/smuggling point from Canada. I'll have to look into that book thanks. I found someone wrote one about Stearns county too...I'll have to keep searching

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”