Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Trout fishing this weekend.

Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:50 am

Anyone going out for trout fishing this weekend? Never fished the opener for trout in SE MN. Are there gonna be a lot of bros out? Most places I fish I don’t see a lot of folks but I fish small streams.

Any good patterns n sh1t like that? I’m still a newb when it comes to fly fishing. I’ll probably bring my spinning rig just in case I’m getting my ass handed to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Re: Trout fishing this weekend.

Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:22 am

I'll be out and about with my crew. Worst case scenario go to splitshot, hook, worm....about as simple as it gets.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:25 am

That’s what I was thinking. I ain’t much for keeping trout but I ain’t too proud to keep em and eat em either after catching them on a hook and worm either.

I’ll keep and eye out for the felon crew.

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:26 am

We had the group site at WW so had to make other arrangements....gay.

Did a little pre-fishing a few weekends back. I had no problem catching 15-20. I kind of regret not bringing more back but hey...didn't want to violate any laws, right?

Screenshot_20200414-112429_Photo Editor.jpg
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:29 am

It’s wack that people won’t be at WW so it might make other shit more crowded idgaf tho I’m so cooped up I’ll muscle people off my corners like I’m Avon Barksdale.

Last edited by Drunk_Dynasty on Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:30 am

Drunk_Dynasty wrote:That’s what I was thinking. I ain’t much for keeping trout but I ain’t too proud to keep em and eat em either after catching them on a hook and worm either.

I’ll keep and eye out for the felon crew.

Smoke 'em. They're delicious smoked.

In the park I really don't give a shit. They're all pellet eaters and the fishing is barely above that of a trout pond in terms of being "wild."

Back in the more remote spots where the fish are browns that reproduce and are self-sustaining I'll care.

Just remember....if it's a rainbow there's zero chance it's a wild fish. They are meant to be put and take. Don't feel bad about keeping them.
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:31 am

Drunk_Dynasty wrote:It’s wack that people won’t be at WW so I will might make other shit more crowded idgaf tho I’m so cooped up I’ll muscle people off my corners like I’m Avon Barksdale.

WW is open....it's just closed for camping. There'll be plenty of people in the park. Hell, even if it was closed....there'd be people in the park. Me being one of them just to be there out of spite.
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:32 am

V true. It’s all put, grow, and take at the very best but mostly just put and take.

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:46 am

No, not necessarily. In the park, most of those fish were planted the week before. If you ever talk to the DNR guys that do it, they'll go, "think of where it'd be easiest for a couple old farts to dump coolers full of trout in.....would it be way back in the woods up a bunch of hills, or would it be next to a road."

If you look at the bragging board in Elba you'll see that all the big trout are browns.....occasionally a brookie. The vermilion grows some giant trout and they're all browns. The DNR stocks the vermilion with 3,000 rainbows annually and they stock it with 0 browns. Every brown in there is part of a wild and self-sustaining population.

It's pretty easy to tell which streams are what by the regulations. If it's wide open to hook and worms fishing like it is in the park, you can almost guarantee the majority of the fish are going to be put and take rainbows. When I say put and take I mean they literally were pulled from a hatchery pond within a week before. The ones I caught pre-fishing wouldn't bite until at 2PM they all turned on and went nuts. I don't know for sure, but I'm willing to bet that the times feeder dispensing the pellets was set at 2PM. It was that distinct....as if someone flipped a switch.

When you're fishing streams that don't allow for live bait, are barbless hooks only on artificials, and they have a protected 12" to 16" slot.....those are your stretches where you're going to be chasing wild browns and if you're lucky....some wild and truly native brook trout.
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:52 am

I catch some brookies in the upper reaches of some
Of the streams I fish down there. Always feels super cool to catch one.

If bad comes to bad I’ll look for tire tracks next to the creek.

I do wanna try the vermillion this spring, especially since it’s a lot closer to home.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”